Are dogs more important than cougars?

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Are dogs more important than cougars?

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i wouldn't describe a farm dog as a pet. more like a shepherd and security guard in one.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Call them want you want - doesn't negate the fact that the cougar was not in its own habitat and was not afraid of going after those dogs.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Are dogs more important than cougars?

Yes
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I love my dog but a Cougar is only a 1 night stand.

So yes my Dog is much more important!
Last edited by Bsuds on Dec 16th, 2013, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

i will say no pet or domestic animal is more important than a wild animal.

as for the cougars not being in their own habitat, the location sure looks like cougar habitat, and given that they are/were there, it would seem the cougars disagree.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?safe=off&q= ... CCoQ8gEwAA
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Their habitat is not farmland - livestock should be more important than cougars. And golf courses should be out of bounds for them - which is why they will get shot.
trashgrimace

Post by trashgrimace »

The truth is we invade cougar territory more and more each year, so we are fully responsible of them becoming familiar to us and attacking our pets and children. Killing them without a second thought is absolutely evil to me. If we are not happy with their presence and cannot find a way to co-exist peacefully, we should LEAVE.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:a sickly cat taking big dogs?
a cat that eats 6 dogs in a period of about two months, starving?

Rwede wrote:Yes, starving. A healthy cat eats a 150 lb deer in 5 or 6 days. 6 dogs in 2 months is starving.

And now we know the rest of the story!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

hey trashgrimace, so good of you to pick up such an important subject.

while i feel your sentiments, i will disagree with the 'leave' aspect, slightly.

myself, i am a firm believer that we should make our homes and, our communities both wildlife friendly and wildlife safe. don't bait bears with garbage and other food, don't bait cougars with cats, dogs and other delectables and make our buildings both predator and vermin proof.

locally i find the city of kelowna to be so ridiculously callous and anti-wildlife. they would spend our tax dollars to torture and kill bunnies because they supposedly are mightier than our buildings and infrastructure, yet do virtually nothing about the wantonly destructive and invasive cats and squirrels that plague us.

our previous bounty of bunnies supported coyotes, lynx, cougar, bear, eagles, hawks, crows and fox to name a few, while offering us opportunities to see the same on a recurring basis.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

trashgrimace wrote:The truth is we invade cougar territory more and more each year, so we are fully responsible of them becoming familiar to us and attacking our pets and children. Killing them without a second thought is absolutely evil to me. If we are not happy with their presence and cannot find a way to co-exist peacefully, we should LEAVE.
Don't think so - not practical nor reasonable. Many cougars don't find themselves in subdivisions for a reason.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Well there have been 3 cougar caused fatalities in North America in the last decade, compared to about 250 dog related fatalities in the US alone.

So in response to your question, yes dogs are more important to human population control than cougars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... rica#2000s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_ ... ted_States
Last edited by Omnitheo on May 21st, 2014, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
trashgrimace

Post by trashgrimace »

myself, i am a firm believer that we should make our homes and, our communities both wildlife friendly and wildlife safe. don't bait bears with garbage and other food, don't bait cougars with cats, dogs and other delectables and make our buildings both predator and vermin proof.

I would love to see that happening. I would love to see our authorities interested in making our coexistence possible, instead of killing them to avoid facing our responsibilities. Cougars aren't protected here in BC. We hunt them for fun, we kill them to "protect ourselves" because we are scared as hell and, well... we believe a dog's life worth more than a cougar's. It's honestly revolting.

Something is wrong with us. We have no respect at all for wildlife. Someone got bitten by a shark? Let's kill all the great white, tiger and bull sharks more than nine feet long!

Who decided that we, human beings, were more important on this planet???
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

We did as human beings, hunters and gatherers. A cougar unafraid of people isn't worth the risk. Educate people to scare off wildlife, not entice them.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

When I read the first post of this thread I thought to myself, "Self, no amount of well-reasoned explaining will satisfy the O.P."

So far that's proving true.
On a different forum
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Absolutely they are more important, in addition they should also do away with as many coyotes as humanly possible.

Return to “Canada”