Re: Lotto winner says he'll donate $40M jackpot to charity

Post by normaM »

well back on track - Good for him!
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:the logic that something 'should be' because 'it is' is flawed.

gang rapes occur, so they should occur? that logic simply is crazy.

as we have discussed, lottery winnings are tax free, but the interest earned on them are not, so, not putting the money in a bank is a great idea to some i am sure.

So winning the lottery and paying tax on the interest is like being gang raped.

For $50 million, plus interest less taxes, I think I'd drop my drawers. Ladies, please line up to the left.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Paying taxes on the interest would not be a problem anyway, just move to where there is no tax.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Bsuds wrote:Paying taxes on the interest would not be a problem anyway, just move to where there is no tax.

That would require airline travel, probably, and then...well, you know what happens when you can't produce ID.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:the logic that something 'should be' because 'it is' is flawed.

gang rapes occur, so they should occur? that logic simply is crazy.

as we have discussed, lottery winnings are tax free, but the interest earned on them are not, so, not putting the money in a bank is a great idea to some i am sure.

Gang rape versus lottery winnings? You've certainly hit a low. Your ignorance is impressive.

Taxes are paid on earnings accrued on winnings. If you were you turn that $50 million into $75 million, taxing would be paid on the additional $25 million gained, not the original $50 million. So we now have $75 million minus some taxes. And you have $50 million minus whatever the mice chewed up from hiding it under your mattress.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I don't buy lottery tickets so don't know the rules, but the questions beg - do you need ID to purchase a ticket and is your ID printed on the ticket itself? And if not, why would you need ID (other than possession of the winning ticket) to collect your winnings in the form of a cheque made out in the name of whoever you tell them you are? Of course, I can see where once you have the cheque things might get a bit difficult trying to cash it without adequate ID. But then a bank wouldn't "cash" cheques in large amounts anyway would they? - they would simply issue a bank draft to replace it (for a fee of course) ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

if he had invested in bitcoins, he would half almost half of it already.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

NAB wrote:I don't buy lottery tickets so don't know the rules, but the questions beg - do you need ID to purchase a ticket and is your ID printed on the ticket itself? And if not, why would you need ID (other than possession of the winning ticket) to collect your winnings in the form of a cheque made out in the name of whoever you tell them you are? Of course, I can see where once you have the cheque things might get a bit difficult trying to cash it without adequate ID. But then a bank wouldn't "cash" cheques in large amounts anyway would they? - they would simply issue a bank draft to replace it (for a fee of course) ;-)

Nab

You have to be 18? to play the lottery so you do need to prove you are. No ID on the ticket other then a spot to sign it when you collect the winnings.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

GrooveTunes wrote:You have to be 18? to play the lottery so you do need to prove you are. No ID on the ticket other then a spot to sign it when you collect the winnings.

You should sign your ticket as soon as you buy it - don't wait until you go to collect. It protects you if you lose it or have it stolen. The person who finds or takes it will have a lot of difficulty cashing it in. Having two pieces of ID that can prove it's your ticket with your signature on it will help get your ticket back.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

Jonrox wrote:You should sign your ticket as soon as you buy it - don't wait until you go to collect. It protects you if you lose it or have it stolen. The person who finds or takes it will have a lot of difficulty cashing it in. Having two pieces of ID that can prove it's your ticket with your signature on it will help get your ticket back.

Exactly this. It's only happened once to me when buying a lotto ticket, but the salesperson at the counter insisted that I fill in my name and sign the ticket before I left the kiosk.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

Rwede wrote:
So winning the lottery and paying tax on the interest is like being gang raped.

For $50 million, plus interest less taxes, I think I'd drop my drawers. Ladies, please line up to the left.

And what? Men to the right?? Dude...Noooo. Lol!!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#206380

Congratulations to her, but it seems her win is spent in under 3 minutes.

Good luck, I hope you consult a few financial websites and maybe the experts if need be. Make informed decisions regarding financial gifting etc and what you'll really need in your retirement and future.

And yes, wish it were me. But I didn't have a ticket this time. :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Canada”