Hamilton police officer dies

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Hamilton police officer dies

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

what on earth is going on in hamilton these days, so much tragedy.

Hamilton police officer Ian Matthews dies after shooting self at central station
Officer was well-respected and high-profile investigator
CBC News Posted: Dec 17, 2013

A Hamilton police officer is dead after a shooting at central police station Tuesday afternoon.

The officer is Staff Sergeant Ian Matthews, a 25-year veteran of the force who for years was one of its most high-profile investigators. He died in hospital at about 10 p.m. Tuesday, roughly nine hours after the incident.

A police statement referred to the death as a "sudden death" after the incident at the King William Street station at approximately 1 p.m. A number of sources confirmed to CBC News in Hamilton that the officer shot himself.

The Hamilton Spectator is reporting the incident happened in a locker room.

Matthews served in many roles with the service, including extended times in the BEAR (break and enter, auto theft and robbery branch) and Homicide Units, and most recently as Central D Squad staff sergeant.

"This is devastating and I recognize the profound impact this has on our organization," said Hamilton Police Chief Glenn De Caire. "We are supporting Ian's family during this tragic time and our Critical Incident Response Team continues to respond to support our members through this tragedy."

The chief acknowledged Matthews's reputation and police record in a statement issued shortly after his death.

"We respect the commitment and tenacity shown by Ian to his work and will work to honour his life with the same dedicated, professional effort that he displayed."

Hamilton police had issued a statement earlier in the evening where they indicated an officer had been injured at the central police station. At that time, police indicated he had been rushed to hospital in critical condition, but that he was not expected to survive.

De Caire has asked neighbouring Halton Police Service to handle what is a non-criminal investigation.

A police source told CBC News that the officer had been superb at his job — "one of our all-stars."

He was respected by the courts, other officers and even some of the hardened criminals he had arrested, the source said. He had worked in many difficult roles, including undercover work, and seen "things we can only imagine."

Hamilton Mayor Bob Bratina said his prayers are with the officer, his family and the entire police service.

"The acceptance of this responsibility carries far greater weight than many can understand," Bratina said. "I expressed the care, concern and sympathy of all Hamiltonians."

The mood at Hamilton police central station will no doubt be grim for some time, according to retired police detective Kevin Bryan, who worked with York Regional Police for 30 years. Four officers died over the course of his time with York police.

"When a death happens, it's just terrible," Bryan told CBC News. "It makes you realize that you're vulnerable."

"It's very quiet at the station. It's very solemn. It's not a rally point. It's not good."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.2467867
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: hamilton police officer dies

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Perhaps all the cop-bashing threads you and your friends are starting is taking its toll on police officers, and this is the end result.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: hamilton police officer dies

valid point.
the change in public perception of the police may very well have played a role in this man's decision.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Hamilton police officer dies

Post by Ken7 »

Very sad incident, I just don't think it is a news worthy story.

Hope his colleagues, family and friends get the help they need.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

without knowing any more than we do, yes, i find it very sad.
a man of his experience and seemingly good quality.
it does make one wonder, why?
T.Tsarnaev
tommythecat
Fledgling

Post by tommythecat »

They see a lot of crazy #$##@ in there day. Stuff you can't even imagine. Maybe it was too much to take. I think the military calls PTSD. But it also applies to people in other lines of work as well.
Positive energy activates constant elevation
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

yes. one wonders if the recent tragedy of the young boy and the falling steel was a trigger.
T.Tsarnaev
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:what on earth is going on in hamilton these days, so much tragedy.

Yes, first there was losing the Grey Cup, and now this. So much tragedy.
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Canada”