CSIS is a criminal orginization

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

CSIS is a criminal orginization

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

so now that has been proven that csis is a criminal organization bent on compromising individuals privacy, what should we do about it?

will any of these scumbags see the inside of a cell?

will this monstrous tax burden that facilitates the persecution of 'canadians' be dismantled?

Canada’s spy agencies chastised for duping courts
COLIN FREEZE
The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Dec. 20 2013

Canada’s spy agencies have deliberately misled judges to expand their eavesdropping powers unlawfully, a newly released ruling says.

In a rebuke to Canadian counter-terrorism practices, the 51-page ruling says federal agencies are wrongly enlisting U.S and British allies in global surveillance dragnets that risk harming Canadian terrorism suspects and could expose government agents to criminal charges. On the advice of watchdog agencies, the judge was reconsidering a 2008 decision to expand the wiretapping reach of Canadian intelligence services.

At issue are the actions of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and Communications Security Establishment Canada. The two agencies have shared information with allied agencies on their investigations of Canadian citizens done under the expanded powers – but never told the court they were going to do so.

Federal Court Judge Richard Mosley said he and other judges have fallen victim to “a deliberate decision to keep the court in the dark.” His written ruling, released on Friday, was summarized last month in a statement, but national-security experts say only the full version communicates the depths of his disgruntlement.

“A decision was made by CSIS officials … to strategically omit information in [warrant] applications … about their intention to seek the assistance of the foreign partners,” Judge Mosley writes.

He adds that the Federal Court never authorized any international intelligence exchanges, and likely would not have approved some warrant applications if it had known about the practice.

Judge Mosley said his court has no legal power to authorize CSIS “to request that foreign agencies intercept the communications of Canadian persons travelling abroad either directly or through the agency of CSEC.”

Without any legal cover, CSIS “incurs the risk that targets may be detained or otherwise harmed as a result of the use of the intercepted communications by the foreign agencies.”

The 2008 decision authorized an eavesdropping partnership allowing CSIS, the domestic-intelligence agency, to expand global wiretapping with the help of CSEC, the foreign-intelligence electronic-eavesdropping agency.

Craig Forcese, a University of Ottawa law professor called the ruling a “significant chastisement.”

He said the court is rightly worried investigations authorized after the 2008 ruling could have endangered people.

“Imagine a circumstance where CSIS says, ‘We’ve got concerns about these Canadians overseas and we’d like you to intercept their communications,’” Mr. Forcese said. “… And the [U.S. Central Intelligence Agency] decides it’s time for a Predator drone …”

The Federal court has allowed CSIS and CSEC – which have different powers and mandates – to team up more than 35 times. But this year, watchdog agencies told Judge Mosley Australia, Britain, New Zealand and the United States were briefed on the probes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e16081238/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: CSIS is a criminal orginization

Post by Drip_Torch »

... and an unnamed source at CSE commented, "yeah, we read that ruling six months ago"
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

They haven't been charged with any crime, so I don't see much defense in calling them a criminal organization...
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

now myself, i have been told many, many times that 'ignorance is no excuse' for breaking the 'law'.

it is clear that csis was not at all ignorant, and a judge has determined that ignorance played no part, and in fact the violations were deliberate, intentional. this is not just criminal, is was a conspiracy to commit the crimes, and as well csis serially offended.

why are no charges being laid? this is very disturbing.

CSIS slammed for end-running law to snoop on Canadians abroad
Spy agency made 'deliberate decision to keep the court in the dark'
The Canadian Press Posted: Dec 21, 2013

Canada's spy agency deliberately withheld information from the courts in an effort to do an end-run around the law when it applied for top-secret warrants to intercept the communications of Canadians abroad, a Federal Court judge said Friday.

In doing so, the judge said in written reasons, the agency put Canadians abroad at potential risk.

The situation arose five years ago when Canadian Security Intelligence Service asked Federal Court for special warrants
related to two Canadian citizens — already under investigation as a potential threat to national security — that would apply while they were abroad.

CSIS assured Judge Richard Mosley the intercepts would be carried out from inside Canada, and controlled by Canadian government personnel, court records show.

Mosley granted the warrants in January 2009 based on what CSIS and Canada's top secret eavesdropping agency — the Communication Security Establishment of Canada or CSEC — had told him.

However, Canadian officials then asked for intercept help from foreign intelligence allies without telling the court.

Mosley was unimpressed, saying the courts had never approved the foreign involvement.

"It is clear that the exercise of the court's warrant issuing has been used as protective cover for activities that it has not authorized," Mosley wrote in redacted reasons.

"The failure to disclose that information was the result of a deliberate decision to keep the court in the dark about the scope and extent of the foreign collection efforts that would flow from the court's issuance of a warrant."

Under current legislation, Federal Court has no authority to issue warrants that involve intercepts of Canadians carried out abroad by Canada's "Five Eyes" intelligence partners, Mosley noted.

He said CSIS, which was granted several similar warrants on fresh or renewed applications in relation to other targets, knew the law but deliberately sought to get around the limitation by misinterpreting it.

"CSIS and CSEC officials are relying on that interpretation at their peril and ... incurring the risk that targets may be detained or otherwise harmed as a result of the use of the intercepted communications by the foreign agencies," Mosley wrote.

"[The law] does not authorize the service and CSEC to incur that risk or shield them from liability."

The documents show alarm bells went off after the commissioner of CSEC, Robert Decary, tabled his annual report in August.

In the report, he suggested CSIS provide Federal Court with "certain additional evidence about the nature and extent" of his agency's help to the intelligence service.

Mosley ordered both agencies to explain what Decary meant. He did not like what he heard about the hidden foreign involvement in the intercepts.

"This was a breach of the duty of candour owed by the service and their legal advisers to the court," he said.

"It has led to misstatements in the public record about the scope of the authority granted the service."

Mosley made it clear the warrants do not authorize any foreign service to intercept communications of any Canadian on behalf of CSIS or CSEC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/csis-sl ... -1.2472843
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've taken the liberty of attacking a couple of attacks thus derailing the derailment - fluffy
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

FreeRights wrote:They haven't been charged with any crime, so I don't see much defense in calling them a criminal organization...

I read over the story about the man with no name and if this is how stupid they are and how they run things at CSIS then were in a world of hurt.crimminals? no. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer? yes.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

yes, the man with no name, very interesting case, and with it the exposure of some pretty shady practices.

if theses were the acts of some foreign nation, we would laugh and point fingers in disgust, but as it is it is our people doing these grossly wrong things, and rather than stopping the nonsense, we reward these people with bigger budgets and expanding 'authority'.

to be caught dumping our trash on another's doorstep is truly sad.

the 'canadian' identity has become a cloak of shame rather than a badge of honour.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Canada”