Air Canada to buy 109 Boeing aircraft.

westbankkid
Übergod

Air Canada to buy 109 Boeing aircraft.

Post by westbankkid »

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101266411

It's a good thing mulroney is gone from Politics. Hopefully Air Canada is buying these planes without the corrupt graft of Brian Mulroney and his cronies.

They are finally buying a decent aircraft and supporting Canadian jobs. I doubt the previous purchase of Airbus contributed to the Canadian job base.

Boeing has 3 large plants in Canada employing hundreds of people.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Air Canada to buy 109 Boeing aircraft.

Post by Dizzy1 »

Boeing was very "political" back in the day as well, they bought DeHaviland Canada and would keep it in Canada (and the jobs) if AC went with Boeing, since AC went with Airbus, Boeing sold DeHaviland after Boeing discontinued the production lines for the Twin Otter and Dash 7 destroying their manufacturing parts. While what Mulroney may have done isn't right, its just one side of the "ethics" that aircraft manufacturers go through when securing billion dollar deals. In the end, AC made a good decision between Airbus and Boeing, the Airbus simply were a better fit at the time. This time around, it seems like the new B737Max may be a better fit than the A320Neo this time around, but Boeing may have also simply cut a deal that Airbus wasn't ready to match.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Yes it's good. Bombardier has been doing very well lately as well. Porter airlines has a large purchase pending with them.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

baconbits wrote:Yes it's good. Bombardier has been doing very well lately as well. Porter airlines has a large purchase pending with them.

The Cseries has a lot of work ahead to secure more orders, Embraer really got a head start on them. Fortunatly the CJ and Dash 8 series have been much more successful (especially the Dash 8). Interestingly, some of the new 737Max that AC has ordered will be replacing some of their EJets.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

On a personal note, I was really hoping that they'd stick with Airbus, at least for their short haul/narrow body fleet ... WestJet already has the 737 so it adds a bit more diversity at our airports. Also since I fly AC more than WS, I've always found that the Airbus have been quieter and more comfy than the Boeing. I'll even go out of the way to take AC850 from Calgary to Heathrow with the A330 vs AC854 from Vancouver with the B777 simply because the Airbus is that much more comfortable.

But I do admit, the 737Max does look good in the current AC toothpaste green livery ...

westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Dizzy1 wrote:On a personal note, I was really hoping that they'd stick with Airbus, at least for their short haul/narrow body fleet ... WestJet already has the 737 so it adds a bit more diversity at our airports. Also since I fly AC more than WS, I've always found that the Airbus have been quieter and more comfy than the Boeing. I'll even go out of the way to take AC850 from Calgary to Heathrow with the A330 vs AC854 from Vancouver with the B777 simply because the Airbus is that much more comfortable.

But I do admit, the 737Max does look good in the current AC toothpaste green livery ...

I and many others refuse to fly Air Canada due to their arrogance and the staff's attitude towards passengers. I for one have had two major run ins with them and have found the "We don't care" attitude running rampant. That is why my family fly Westjet for local and KLM for overseas.

We have refused to fly AC since our final problem 11 years ago.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

AC can go twist in the wind as far as I'm concerned.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Too bad Westjet has the most uncomfortable seats, out of date seat back entertainment and are full of leisure travelers that appear to have never been on an airplane before. From my experience, AC has pretty good service for the most part, with the odd surly old FA. While I don't mind the campy WJ service, it can get a bit old if you travel them a lot. BTW, for those that think AC sucks, try flying any US airline and then you'll see what terrible looks like.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

westbankkid wrote:
I and many others refuse to fly Air Canada due to their arrogance and the staff's attitude towards passengers. I for one have had two major run ins with them and have found the "We don't care" attitude running rampant. That is why my family fly Westjet for local and KLM for overseas.

We have refused to fly AC since our final problem 11 years ago.

And the AC bashing begins. I myself have had 2 "problems" with AC as well as with Westjet, British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa, United, Delta, etc. so I'm not really seeing your point
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

No bashing from me since I do reasonable amount of air travel within Canada, 9 times out of 10 Westjet price is lower than AC. Anywhere I can save money I do.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

I used to fly westjet exclusively, however due to international travel I started flying with Air Canada again and then domestically they have many more flight options and I have found they're customer service and overall service just as good as Westjet's.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

baconbits wrote:I have found they're customer service and overall service just as good as Westjet's.

I've met their VP of Customer Service a while ago at a conference, and apparently they've very concerned how Air Canada brought their game up to match their level of service. They used to be miles ahead of AC, but AC fought back and even pulled ahead.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

I'm no fan of AC, but I flew them to Hong Kong last year and the flight was actually really good, service was excellent, no complaints. Internationally I don't mind AC, sure beats Air TransAT by a mile, that's for sure.
Not afraid to say "It".
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

AC had a deal with Boeing for 777 and 787 a few years back, they were set to be one of the first customers for the 787. The pilots Union and management couldn't agree on some issues so AC ended up cancelling the order forcing them to reorder for a later date ... I'm wondering if they cut a deal with Boeing to buy the newer 737 when the time came for a better slot with the 787 delivery instead of going all the way back to the line. Not really suggesting it, but things like this do happen in the airliner world.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Dizzy1 wrote:AC had a deal with Boeing for 777 and 787 a few years back, they were set to be one of the first customers for the 787. The pilots Union and management couldn't agree on some issues so AC ended up cancelling the order forcing them to reorder for a later date ... I'm wondering if they cut a deal with Boeing to buy the newer 737 when the time came for a better slot with the 787 delivery instead of going all the way back to the line. Not really suggesting it, but things like this do happen in the airliner world.

Since those are to totally different aircraft in regards to performance and intended operation probably no.

Return to “Canada”