Stolen Enterprise rental has woman facing $47K bill

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Stolen Enterprise rental has woman facing $47K bill

Post by Hassel99 »

This is pretty simple. It all depends on the contract written.

If the car is still under her "control" ie not returned YET. Then her insurance should cover the theft (if she has theft coverage) Right now the insurance company is using weak language and has not actually denied the claim. They have indicated there position is the car had been returned and is no longer in her "control" as evidenced by the contract, if it does in fact say the car is only returned once reviewed by a CSR the next day, then her insurance company will buck up. The Insurance co has not said they would not pay, they just said they SHOULD Not have to. Once confronted with the contract, they will pay as they should.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Hassel99 wrote:This is pretty simple. It all depends on the contract written.

If the car is still under her "control" ie not returned YET. Then her insurance should cover the theft (if she has theft coverage) Right now the insurance company is using weak language and has not actually denied the claim. They have indicated there position is the car had been returned and is no longer in her "control" as evidenced by the contract, if it does in fact say the car is only returned once reviewed by a CSR the next day, then her insurance company will buck up. The Insurance co has not said they would not pay, they just said they SHOULD Not have to. Once confronted with the contract, they will pay as they should.

"once confronted with the contract they will pay as they should" I will assume this more of a question than a statement of fact? Because neither you or anyone has any idea for sure what the insurance will or will not do
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Consider it a statement of fact for all intensive purposes. This is my profession.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*removed/Jo*
Last edited by Jo on Jan 7th, 2014, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.2487727

Kristen Cockerill won't have to pay for stolen $47K rental car
Nova Scotia woman had been billed for cost of stolen Mustang convertible
By Blair Rhodes, CBC News Posted: Jan 07, 2014 5:50 PM AT Last Updated: Jan 07, 2014 6:12 PM AT

This Mustang convertible was stolen from the parking lot of a Dartmouth, N.S., Enterprise rental shop in October. (Courtesy of Kristen Cockerill)

A Nova Scotia woman is relieved her fight with an international car rental company is over and she will not have to pay $47,000 for a Mustang convertible that was stolen from a rental lot.

Kristen Cockerill, who had been facing a $47,000 bill to replace the stolen car, said she got a call on Tuesday from Enterprise Rent-A-Car's general manager for Nova Scotia.

"They offered an apology for the experience I've gone through over the last week or so," Cockerill told CBC News.

"It's been extremely stressful, actually, just not knowing where things are going to go, the financial piece hanging over my family. It's been quite stressful. But I'm happy to see it come to an end."

Enterprise willing to 'work' with woman on hook for $47K Mustang

Cockerill rented the car for two days in October. At the end of the two-day rental, she said she returned the car to the Enterprise rental lot on Portland Street in Dartmouth.

Cockerill dropped the car off on a Sunday — most Enterprise locations in the Halifax region are closed on Sundays and people who need to return vehicles that day are instructed to leave the key in a secure drop box.

The next day, Enterprise called Cockerill. The company had the keys, but no Mustang.

Kristen Cockerill says she's relieved she won't have to pay $47,000 for a Mustang convertible she rented through Enterprise Rent-A-Car. The car was stolen after she returned it to the lot. (CBC)

Police determined the vehicle was stolen and last week, Cockerill got a bill from Enterprise for $47,000 — the replacement value of the Mustang.

Cockerill's insurance company initially took the position that she wasn't responsible for the Mustang after she returned it to Enterprise, so it wasn't going to cover the cost of the theft.

She said she later heard from her insurance company that it's now negotiating with Enterprise.

"It is in the small print of the contract that I am responsible for the vehicle until they receive it," Cockerill said. "So the insurance is going to cover the cost of the vehicle."

In a statement to CBC News, Enterprise wrote: "We are now thoroughly examining our processes and looking for ways to better communicate with our customers. We want to acknowledge and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention so that we could properly address it."
Last edited by grammafreddy on Jan 7th, 2014, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Captain Awesome wrote:There's really no need for a compromise. Her insurance company (earlier I misread she didn't have insurance) should get their heads out of the sand and read the fine print of the contract to see that it clearly states that until the unit is processed, it's still her responsibility. They per-maturely said it wasn't their problem, rental company shrugged their shoulders and sent the bill to the lady. Now with some pressure, the insurance company will admit it's their bad, and the lady won't be dinged for anything.

Teehee
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I just wanted to confirm that the purpose was INTENSE ! = )
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Hassel99 wrote:Consider it a statement of fact for all intensive purposes. This is my profession.

It could not be considered "fact" because only the insurance company themselves are to determine what they will pay and what they wont pay based on what they perceive the contract to read.You may suggest they will pay based on this knowledge you say u have but you have no control over this and its a guess on your self so no it is not fact.Fact is only when you yourselve are actually signing the cheque and you are not
What you should have said is once they are presented with the contract in my opinion I think they will pay or should pay
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

She said she later heard from her insurance company that it's now negotiating with Enterprise.

"It is in the small print of the contract that I am responsible for the vehicle until they receive it," Cockerill said. "So the insurance is going to cover the cost of the vehicle."

Hey look I was right.

Is that Fact enough for you?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

At least it is a happy ending.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

kgcayenne wrote:At least it is a happy ending.

And who doesn't like a happy ending.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The insurance company.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh you are so right. I've got my own insurance company nightmare story. They lost too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rvrepairnut wrote:
National rental agencies get big discounts.They never paid 47 k for this car

Ford Focus yes - Mustang GT/CS not so much. $50 000 plus tax = $60 000 for you and me $40 000 plus tax = $47 000 for Enterprise - there's your discount unless you think they just pulled that number out of their magic hat.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Canada”