Stolen Enterprise rental has woman facing $47K bill

Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Stolen Enterprise rental has woman facing $47K bill

Post by Always Sunny »

Fancy wrote:So realistically one needs to return the vehicle when an employee can guarantee the condition.

In a perfect world. But I'm not changing my flight time (and costs) to suit this.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc/20 ... JlcwAAAAAB

This is a interesting read. Most likely the rental terms are the same. She might be responsible. I realize this is Thrifty, but most would be the same.

4. RETURNING THE CAR

I WILL RETURN THE CAR TO THE DESIGNATED THRIFTY OFFICE ON THE DATE AND TIME NOTED ON THE RENTAL STATEMENT, OR SOONER IF YOU REQUEST, IN THE SAME CONDITION AS WHEN I RECEIVERD IT. IF I RETURN THE CAR AT A TIME WHEN THE ]DESIGNATED OFFICE IS CLOSED I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE WHICH MAY HAPPEN TO THE CAR BEFORE THE OFFICE REOPENS. I may not keep the Car longer than thirty days unless I sign a new rental agreement. If I fail to do so, I will pay all your expenses and charges, including a return fee.

Last edited by Ken7 on Jan 4th, 2014, 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Here is the electronic copy of my Enterprise resevervation from February 2013. But I guess some of you will argue that the policy changed between our rentals and not between her rental and when this went to the media.

Dear XXXXXXX XXXX,

Thank you for choosing Enterprise. We look forward to seeing you on Monday, February 18, 2013 at 11:00 am. If you didn't print your confirmation when you reserved your car, please print this Email or record your confirmation number. You may need it when you pick up your rental. Your rental information is summarized below.
P.S. Remember us when you're renting in town. Enterprise is always nearby at more than 6,500 neighborhood locations.

-----------------------
RESERVATION INFORMATION
-----------------------

Confirmation Number: S1DXXX

Name: XXXX, XXXXXXX

Pick Up Date: Monday, February 18, 2013 at 11:00 am

Drop Off Date: Friday, February 22, 2013 at Noon (4 days + 1 hour)
Pick Up Location Address and Phone Number :
FT ST JOHN AIRPORT
KIOSK # 2 - 9919 TERMINAL ROAD
FORT ST JOHN, BC V1J4H9
Tel.: (250) 787-7621

Pick Up Location Hours for the week of : February 18, 2013
Monday 7:00 am 9:30 pm
Tuesday 7:00 am 9:30 pm
Wednesday 7:00 am 9:30 pm
Thursday 8:00 am 5:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am 5:00 pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday 11:00 am 9:30 pm

Car and Rate Information:

Full Size: Chevy Impala, Nissan Altima or similar
21.75 CAD (1 Hour @ 21.75) further showing that vehicles do NOT have to be rented by the full day
260.88 CAD (4 Days @ 65.22)

5.10 CAD (VEHICLE LICENSE RECOVERY FEE)

287.73 CAD (Subtotal)

34.53 CAD (AIRPORT ACCESS FEE)

38.67 CAD (HARMONIZED SALES TAX)

0.00 CAD (SALES TAX)

Total charges 360.93 CAD
Additional surcharges, local taxes, etc. may apply.

-------------------------
ENTERPRISE PICK-UP POLICY
NO SHUTTLE REQUIRED. THE COUNTER IS LOCATED IN THE BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA OF THE MAIN TERMINAL. VEHICLES ARE WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE.

ENTERPRISE MILEAGE POLICY
Note: You'll get a total of 800 km free and will be charged $ 0.35 CAD for each additional km for the entire rental.

---------------------
ENTERPRISE AGE POLICY
---------------------
ALL DRIVERS MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER TO RENT. DRIVERS MUST BE 25 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER TO RENT ANY SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLES OR LARGE PICK-UP TRUCKS. AN UNDERAGE DRIVER FEE WILL BE CHARGED TO ANY RENTER OR ADDITIONAL DRIVER UNDER THE AGE OF 25.

-------------------------------
ENTERPRISE MISCELLANEOUS POLICY
-------------------------------
WINTER TIRES ARE AVAILABLE AT THIS BRANCH, AND MAY BE REQUIRED FOR CERTAIN TRAVEL DESTINATIONS. PLEASE CONTACT THE BRANCH FOR MORE DETAILS.

-----------------------------------
ENTERPRISE ADDITIONAL DRIVER POLICY
-----------------------------------
THERE WILL BE AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE OF $10.00 PER DAY FOR EACH ADDITIONAL AUTHORIZED DRIVER OTHER THAN A SPOUSE OR DOMESTIC PARTNER.

-----------------------------
ENTERPRISE AFTER HOURS POLICY
-----------------------------
PLEASE RETURN VEHICLE TO THE ENTERPRISE DESIGNATED PARKING SPACES AT THE AIRPORT. PLACE KEYS IN THE DROP BOX LOCATED ON THE ENTERPRISE RENT-A-CAR FRONT COUNTER IN THE AIRPORT.

-----------------------
TOLL ROAD USAGE PROGRAM
-----------------------
Click here for more information: http://www.htallc.com/enterprise

---------------------------
TO MAKE ANOTHER RESERVATION
---------------------------
If you would like to make another online reservation or need additional information, please visit us again at:
http://www.enterpriserentacar.ca

------------------------------------
TO MODIFY OR CANCEL THIS RESERVATION
------------------------------------
Please click the link below to modify or cancel this reservation. (Note: Modifying your location, date, or time may result in changes to your rates, taxes, surcharges or underage fee).
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It's a 30 Km drive (1 way) from Halifax Stanfield International Airport to Dartmouth.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Not trying to be argumentative, but return policies probably differ by location. An airport return location may be secure, may have security etc.
Here's another thought, let's say you rent a car and return it after hours with no one there to check the condition of it. During the night the car is damaged by another vehicle, which then leaves. How can you prove the damage was done after you dropped it off and not before? That is why you are usually responsible for the vehicle until someone checks it in for you.

Ultimately though, I think this issue is more between the two insurance companies and not the renter.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

goatboy wrote:Not trying to be argumentative, but return policies probably differ by location. An airport return location may be secure, may have security etc.
Here's another thought, let's say you rent a car and return it after hours with no one there to check the condition of it. During the night the car is damaged by another vehicle, which then leaves. How can you prove the damage was done after you dropped it off and not before? That is why you are usually responsible for the vehicle until someone checks it in for you.

Ultimately though, I think this issue is more between the two insurance companies and not the renter.

Possible solution I posted earlier in thread seen here:
GordonH wrote:Maybe Enterprise should install camera's at both drop-box & lot. To prevent customers from this hassle in the future, since they are unwilling to pay an employee to receive returns.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

goatboy wrote:Ultimately though, I think this issue is more between the two insurance companies and not the renter.

They are intending to work with the woman and her insurers so hopefully there will be a compromise though I don't think that is fair at all. If theft is an issue then there should be a way to drop off a vehicle after hours that would ensure it would be in a secure area.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.2483207
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

goatboy wrote:Not trying to be argumentative, but return policies probably differ by location. An airport return location may be secure, may have security etc.

Fair enough. But I do believe what I posted above is the company (or was) policy with regard to after-hour drop off, not specific to airport locations.

The other post with regard to the lawsuit is Thrifty rental that occurred 15+ years ago. That could certainly influence policy. As far as Enterprise goes, I've posted my experience.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Always Sunny wrote:Fair enough. But I do believe what I posted above is the company (or was) policy with regard to after-hour drop off, not specific to airport locations.

The other post with regard to the lawsuit is Thrifty rental that occurred 15+ years ago. That could certainly influence policy. As far as Enterprise goes, I've posted my experience.

Interesting, this is what the policy is now:

The time you selected to return your vehicle is outside of our business hours at:

Airport location FT ST JOHN AIRPORT
FORT ST JOHN, BC V1J4H9

Here is how you can return your vehicle After Hours:

IF RETURNING AFTER HOURS, PLEASE PLACE THE KEYS IN THE RETURN DROP BOX LOCATED AT THE RENTAL COUNTER INSIDE THE AIRPORT TERMINAL. PLEASE ENSURE VEHICLE IS LOCKED BEFORE LEAVING. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CONDITION OF CAR UNTIL BUSINESS OPENS.

If you decide to return during business hours, please take your vehicle directly to the rental branch.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Always Sunny wrote:Fair enough. But I do believe what I posted above is the company (or was) policy with regard to after-hour drop off, not specific to airport locations.

goatboy wrote:Interesting, this is what the policy is now:

The time you selected to return your vehicle is outside of our business hours at:

Airport location FT ST JOHN AIRPORT
FORT ST JOHN, BC V1J4H9

IF RETURNING AFTER HOURS, PLEASE PLACE THE KEYS IN THE RETURN DROP BOX LOCATED AT THE RENTAL COUNTER INSIDE THE AIRPORT TERMINAL. PLEASE ENSURE VEHICLE IS LOCKED BEFORE LEAVING. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CONDITION OF CAR UNTIL BUSINESS OPENS.

If you decide to return during business hours, please take your vehicle directly to the rental branch.

I know...that was posted earlier in this thread. The whole reason I posted my contract was that this current policy seems to have been amended to specifically covers their butts in light of this recent issue.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So if Rental Company expect after hours drop-offs at Airports in this case Halifax Stanfield International Airport. Which is as mentioned 30K away from Dartmouth.

Transit last run is 6:35pm no service Saturday's, Sunday's or holiday's http://hiaa.ca/transportation/bus-services/Added later: this transit link needs to be updated buses run until 12:15am.
Taxi or Limo service $63.00 one way ouch. According to this http://hiaa.ca/transportation/taxi-limos/
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 4th, 2014, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:So if Rental Company expect after hours drop-offs at Airports in this case Halifax Stanfield International Airport. Which is as mentioned 30K away from Dartmouth.

Transit last run is 6:35pm no service Saturday's, Sunday's or holiday's http://hiaa.ca/transportation/bus-services/.
Taxi or Limo service $63.00 one way ouch. According to this http://hiaa.ca/transportation/taxi-limos/

Why are they expecting airport drop offs? Enterprises after-hours drop off rules are the same no matter what location you're leaving it at.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:So if Rental Company expect after hours drop-offs at Airports in this case Halifax Stanfield International Airport. Which is as mentioned 30K away from Dartmouth.

Transit last run is 6:35pm no service Saturday's, Sunday's or holiday's http://hiaa.ca/transportation/bus-services/.

Always Sunny wrote:Why are they expecting airport drop offs? Enterprises after-hours drop off rules are the same no matter what location you're leaving it at.

Because you hi-lighted in red on your earlier post.

If she followed drop off policy as requested by Rental Company, then it's the Rental problem not hers or her insurance. Since the keys were in the drop off box.

IMO Rental Company needs to suck it up and take the loss, in the future set up camera's at their offices so this hassle is not passed on to next customer.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Always Sunny wrote:Why are they expecting airport drop offs? Enterprises after-hours drop off rules are the same no matter what location you're leaving it at.

No they're not. Example:

Airport location HALIFAX INTL ARPT
1 BELL BOULEVARD (HFX AIRPORT)
ENFIELD, NS B2T1K2

PARK VEHICLE IN SAME AREA OF PARKING LOT AT THE AIRPORT AS WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS PICKED UP. LOCK THE VEHICLE AND PLACE THE KEY IN THE DROP BOX AT THE KIOSK BY THE PARKING AREA.

goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Transit last run is 6:35pm no service Saturday's, Sunday's or holiday's http://hiaa.ca/transportation/bus-services/Added later: this transit link needs to be updated buses run until 12:15am.

His highlighted example was from his own rental contract at the Ft St John airport. Nothing to do with the Dartmouth rental location.

Return to “Canada”