Stolen Enterprise rental has woman facing $47K bill

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Stolen Enterprise rental has woman facing $47K bill

Post by GordonH »

Just a thought here, why would someone who gave all the information needed to rent a car than turn around and either steal it or have it stolen.

Only a complete idiot would do something like that.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was thinking that someone knew she had rented such a car, waited for her to return it KNOWING full well that she'd get dinged.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yes, but she saved $50 on insurance! Insurance gecko would be proud.

Speculating no doubt.

What good would the insurance have been when the vehicle disappeared outside her rental window?

You don't think their escape from liability would be saying that the rental and insurance ended at "X" time, and theft occurred after that? Whatever insurance Enterprise has protecting their inventory is the policy that should be covering theft of their property.

FYI based on my past experiences, the whole issue of insurance is nothing but a big scam at most of the car rental places.

To the best of my understanding being a GoldStar in the ICBC realm carries with it certain advantages insurance wise, yet the rental joints summarily dismiss that notion, and do their utmost to force their policy on you.

The $19.95 a day you see on the one entities vans is complete BS, as by the time they add everything in, it becomes far closer to $99.95 a day.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Captain Awesome wrote:It usually goes like this:

- Would you like to purchase insurance for your vehicle?
- No thank you, I'd rather save $50 and risk losing $47,000.

That's a load of crap.

Car rental companies won't rent you a vehicle unless you either have comprehensive insurance coverage (plus collision) or you purchase their comparable insurance. Therefore, if you rent a car, you are insured for theft.

What we have here is the insurance company refusing to cover the loss because "it was not in her control".

Fair enough. That would put control back in the hands of Enterprise.

Sounds about right.

But Enterprise is claiming the renter still had control, contrary to the insurance companies stance.

It's all a bunch of horse *bleep* IMO.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Sn0man wrote:...Car rental companies won't rent you a vehicle unless you either have comprehensive insurance coverage (plus collision) or you purchase their comparable insurance. Therefore, if you rent a car, you are insured for theft...

I never purchase the rental company's insurance as the credit card I rent with has coverage on rental vehicles.

While I'm always asked if I want to purchase their insurance, more often than not, no one asks if I have my own...just whether or not I'm going to buy theirs. Doesn't seem like they're going out of their way to cove their butts.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Coverages don't go by hours. If you rented a vehicle on Friday 9AM, the turn in point would be Monday 9AM at which point the branch either has the car back from you or they extend your rental time. So, when you drop off the car on Sunday night and leave the keys there, technically the car is still your liability, not theirs - until 9AM on Monday. Once they process the car on Monday morning and it goes back into general pool, than the commercial fleet insurance kicks in. But when it sits there overnight, your insurance (or lack of thereof) is in effect.

When she dropped the car off, as per instructions from Enterprise for after hours returns, she was voluntarily terminating the remainder of her contract rights and returning possession to the owner. Enterprise cannot force possession onto her after the fact when they have accepted the contract termination by accepting her only means of possession and control via the car keys. That is the position her insurance company is obviously taking.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

It wouldn't matter what kind of insurance coverage the woman had bought... you'd have to be delusional to think that her insurance would pay under these circumstances. They would [no doubt] refuse to pay based on the fact that they had insured the vehicle while she had it under contract; but, the minute she returned it to the rental agency, their obligation ceased to exist. That would be an easy out for them.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

She did have insurance:

Cockerill's insurer said the car wasn't in her control, so it shouldn't be her problem.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Just tried to make a rental after hours at that location and this is what comes up:

The time you selected to return your vehicle is outside of our business hours at:

597 PORTLAND ST.
DARTMOUTH, NS B2W2M5

Here is how you can return your vehicle After Hours:

PLEASE LOCK CAR DOORS AND THEN PLACE THE KEYS IN DROP BOX LOCATED IN FRONT OF BUILDING. THE RENTER'S RESPONSIBILITY FOR VEHICLE CONDITION ENDS ONCE AN ENTERPRISE-RENT-A-CAR EMPLOYEE INSPECTS THE VEHICLE THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'd suggest that once her contract expired it is no longer her concern. This won't fly in court, it might be different IF she parked it Saturday evening in front of the hotel she stayed at and it was stolen. She might have some problems then.

After she dropped the keys, its' not her car or responsibility.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Enterprise says they want to work with her - best way is to reverse the bill.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Captain Awesome wrote:Once they process the car on Monday morning and it goes back into general pool, than the commercial fleet insurance kicks in. But when it sits there overnight, your insurance (or lack of thereof) is in effect.

goatboy wrote:THE RENTER'S RESPONSIBILITY FOR VEHICLE CONDITION ENDS ONCE AN ENTERPRISE-RENT-A-CAR EMPLOYEE INSPECTS THE VEHICLE THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY.

Ha!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Speculating no doubt.

Most discussions here are :P

What good would the insurance have been when the vehicle disappeared outside her rental window?

And that's the 47,000 question - was the middle of the night outside of her rental window? No, it wasn't. Until they process the car, the contract is still in effect. I've rented vehicles on weekends plenty of time to remember that the return time for it is Monday AM - so if I choose to drop it off earlier than that - technically it's under contract and inside the rental window.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

The time you selected to return your vehicle is outside of our business hours at:

597 PORTLAND ST.
DARTMOUTH, NS B2W2M5

Here is how you can return your vehicle After Hours:

PLEASE LOCK CAR DOORS AND THEN PLACE THE KEYS IN DROP BOX LOCATED IN FRONT OF BUILDING. THE RENTER'S RESPONSIBILITY FOR VEHICLE CONDITION ENDS ONCE AN ENTERPRISE-RENT-A-CAR EMPLOYEE INSPECTS THE VEHICLE THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY.

Ha!

I've returned many, many rental cars outside of their business hours and I promise you this has never popped up.

Better late than never Enterprise.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So realistically one needs to return the vehicle when an employee can guarantee the condition.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Canada”