Bosses should stop asking for sick notes

Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Bosses should stop asking for sick notes

Post by Woodenhead »

Most places I've worked at only asked for a note if the absent period was at least 3 days.

Many people call in sick when they aren't, though, and I hate that. Flip side is that I think it's a bit much to ask for a note every single time. I'd go for a policy where it's related to your absentee rate, or something along that line.

I haven't even been late for work in 6 years or so now, let alone missed a day. (last time was 6 years ago when my fuel pump puked) I have no sympathy for those who cry wolf. But plenty for those who are legitimately ill. I'd much rather a sick person stay home than come to work & infect me.
Your bias suits you.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

My old boss didn't pay sick days, tried to write them off as vacation days and still got mad when people took them. They'd expect people to work when they're sick and tried to say that being around sick people doesn't increase the chance of being sick. And then they'd wonder why people keep quitting.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Also - what doctor *isnt* going to give you a note? You go to a walk in, wait 3 hours then tell the dock you were sick and the doctor asks you to describe your sickness.

You say "I was feverish and sick to my stomach but I'm all better now". He agrees and writes you a note saying you were sick. For all he knows you were at the beach drinking beer and he get paid regardless.

What is the doctor going to do - do bloodwork to verify you have flu/common cold germs in your blood and hold it over you until the bloodwork gets back? Especially if you say "I need a note or I'll get fired". Doctors are afraid to take away senior citizen driver licenses even when it's obvious they shouldn't be driving - does anyone think they want to be a part of some randoms companies punitive sick policy and be a part of getting someone fired?

Managers bosses take note - you're wasting everyone's time.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Managers and owners should take note. Its not entirely their fault, because they are only trying to deal with the people that fake sick all the time.

The only time I have been sick in the last 20 years has been because I was hungover, so generally, I don't buy it.

Manager and owners should not be consumed with these repeat offenders, and if they want to call in sick all the time, just squeeze them out financially. Hard but true.

Look around your workforce wether your an owner, manager or employee. Its always the same people pulling these stunts.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Much ado about nothing. Not exactly a wide-spread problem.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Captain Awesome wrote:Much ado about nothing. Not exactly a wide-spread problem.

really.I read in the Prince George news a couple years back that the school district had a 500K budget to deal with this situation and after the smoke cleared it was costing them 2.6 million in one year so it is a lot to do about a big problem
that's just one business in one city now multiply across the country and see how small this problem is as u allude to
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

That's interesting about the school board. Sick days are bad enough for jobs that don't pay sick days, but for employment with sick day benefits, watch out. The abuse really takes over.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

They were saying they didn't want people sitting in the waiting room spreading their flu.
Which is a stupid reason since most these drugstores are in grocery stores where the people go to fill their prescription or some over the counter relief sneezing,snotting and coughing their way through the produce section etc.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

jimmy4321 wrote:They were saying they didn't want people sitting in the waiting room spreading their flu.
Which is a stupid reason since most these drugstores are in grocery stores where the people go to fill their prescription or some over the counter relief sneezing,snotting and coughing their way through the produce section etc.

Yeah, that's pretty gross. Kinda weird when you put it that way.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I don't care much for people who call in sick for a paid day off once or twice a month. I don't get paid sick days , and miraculously have only missed 2 days in the last year and a half. Management often bears part of the blame. Where I work now , and a previous job a few years back , you would ask for a particular day ( or days ) off with permission weeks in advance , and the answer was always NO. They tell us there is nobody to fill that shift , when infact there are 5 or 6 people sitting at home hoping that the phone will ring so they can get a few shifts to help pay the bills. In the end , the employees learn quickly that if you want a particular day off , don't ask , just wait till that day and phone in sick.
All that being said the average collective agreement allows for far more sick days than the average person is ever actually sick.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I found the best cure for sick time abuse was working in isolated camps or corporation towns. When there was no place to go and nothing to do there was little sick time abuse. In a corporation town you couldn't leave your residence without being seen. Very little sick time.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Canada”