Political correctness vs. sexism at York University

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Political correctness vs. sexism at York University

Post by maryjane48 »

thats all fine and dandy lv but we all know from your other posta around you dnt like muslims or islam . i dnt like any god worshipping ideas myself. but if you allow one you going have allow them all
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

While I don't disagree with the notion that there is a certain level of hypocrisy in decrying the Islamic treatment of women, while at the same time allowing the exploitation of women that we see everyday in western society, I do have a problem with Public schools favouring one religion over another.

It simply isn't possible for Public Schools to allow every single religion that exists, to offer religious services inside the schools. There's not enough time or space to make it a practical consideration. So, what can't be offered to all, should not be offered to only one.

Considering the fact that anything and everything that could be considered as having Christian associations has been eradicated from our school curriculums, how is it OK to allow religious services from ANY religion within a Public school?

For example, I consider many of our old Christmas Carols to be part of our western heritage and culture, as much as they are part of the Christian religion, yet they are no longer sung in Public schools because of their Christian association. So wonderful old carols, such as "Hark the Herald Angels" and "Oh come all ye Faithful" have been replaced with more commercial ones such as "Frosty" and "Rudolph". I've nothing against either of those last two, but I am sad to see the old ones become less popular and gradually begin to disappear. Try asking anyone under the age of 15 to sing more than the first two lines of any of those old carols - some of them can't even do that much. Even us older folk are beginning to forget the words due to lack of use. And it's not because I'm a Christian that this change is bothering me; it's bothering me because it's part of our collective heritage and culture that is gradually disappearing. So why is it perfectly OK in Public schools for Western culture to be ignored, at the same time as another cultural practice is allowed?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

lakevixen wrote:thats all fine and dandy lv but we all know from your other posta around you dnt like muslims or islam . i dnt like any god worshipping ideas myself. but if you allow one you going have allow them all

so by this logic then you don't like women or freedom? You "allow" one, you allow them all, but you don't "allow" anyone anywhere to denigrate or segregate others just because of their gender. That's one rock solid standard that we should NEVER back away from, no matter who might get "offended" by doing so.
Not afraid to say "It".
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

if was up to me there wou;d be no freedom of god worshipping period
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

lakevixen wrote:if was up to me there wou;d be no freedom of god worshipping period

I believe in freedom of religion, I just don't believe that the Public School system should be favouring any one religion over another. If we're not prepared to allow ALL religions to perform religious ceremonies in our schools, then we shouldn't be allowing ANY religion to do so.

That said, the other extreme, of allowing Public schools to function as though religion does not exist, is equally foolish, because an understanding of the differing religious viewpoints and cultures is essential if people are ever to truly understand and get along with each other. Therefore I am in favour of religion (ALL religion, not just one) being taught from a non-religious point of view in our schools.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

kgcayenne wrote:Why wouldn't a serious student choose an institution that shares his/her values?

Because that is how society is today. Everyone else has to conform. Who cares about everyone else, when it's ME ME ME.

This will probably sound racist, but I don't care...

I find it highly annoying when people from other countries come here and expect everyone else to adapt to THEIR cultural beliefs and THEIR religion. Why come here if you want it the way it was back home?
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

fvkasm2x wrote:Why come here if you want it the way it was back home?

Aside from ignoring thousands of years of immigration patterns...

Canada is a multicultural society. We don't force hockey and poutine down peoples throats. What a boring place it would be if that was the case!
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

fvkasm2x wrote:
Because that is how society is today. Everyone else has to conform. Who cares about everyone else, when it's ME ME ME.

This will probably sound racist, but I don't care...

I find it highly annoying when people from other countries come here and expect everyone else to adapt to THEIR cultural beliefs and THEIR religion. Why come here if you want it the way it was back home?

Indeed. First Nations people must be extremely annoyed.

People have always moved around and always will. The only constant is change.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Canada”