Man found with pipe bomb

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Man found with pipe bomb

Post by Ken7 »

This story makes me sick!! This kid might have killed a plane full of innocent persons. Just how safe are we having, civilians monitoring airline traffic.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-found- ... -1.1639741
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Man found with pipe bomb

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

very strange story indeed. why are we not being told where he flew to?

why such a lenient sentence? why such a weak charge?

they say he acted alone, yet we are not told where he got the explosives?

why is it this incident was not given the same or similar coverage as the 'canada day' non bombers?

RCMP Charge Man with Possession of Explosive Substance
OCTOBER 01, 2013

Leduc, Alberta – On Friday, September 27, 2013, Leduc RCMP arrested and charged Skylar Vincent Murphy, age 18, of Spruce Grove, AB for possession of an explosive substance under Section 82(1) of the Criminal Code. The RCMP investigation indicates that the charge stems from an isolated incident, and that no other individuals were involved.

Mr. Murphy has been released from police custody, and his first court appearance is on October 10, 2013 in Leduc Provincial Court.

Sgt. Josée Valiquette
Leduc RCMP

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2013/ ... substance/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

He should not have be permitted to fly in my opinion and where are the RCMP? Why would they not have been informed of this immediately?? Very sad, heads should role on this one.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Now, I'm not an aviation security expert, but its important to acknowledge a few things.

First, all screening personnel in Canada are employed by private security contractors to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority. They aren't police officers and, like any civilian as far as I know, do not have the authority to restrict a passengers' ability to board a plane. I assume that would be the final call of that person's airline.

The second point is that, again, as far as I know, CATSA contracted screening staff mandate is to ensure the safety of aviation transport. Regardless of the undisclosed details following this incident, the passenger obviously boarded his flight without the pipe bomb, so it is clear that screening staff did their role in ensuring the safety of air transport.

Obviously, it would be interesting to see why a response to this incident took as long as it did. But as far as the immediate reaction to the pipe bomb, it sounds as though that particular flight was safe whether or not that passenger boarded it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so after 9=11 they used it as a reason to raise the price of tickets for security .and the cost has gone up,and up and up.
and this is the end result.this kid should be in jail for at least 10years min and red flagged for life
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote:so after 9=11 they used it as a reason to raise the price of tickets for security .and the cost has gone up,and up and up.
and this is the end result.this kid should be in jail for at least 10years min and red flagged for life

Chances are it was a pre-test to see what would happen. You think he and his friends maybe thinking of doing more?

I'm going to throw it out there, the police would have likely been on the Airport property. Less then five minutes away. Chances are this punk wasn't holding the plane back as a last minute passenger.

I know, I forgot common sense is not so common when you hire people like I see at some airports.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Murphy pleaded guilty on Dec. 5 to possession of an explosive substance. He was sentenced to a year of probation and fined $100. Murphy will be prohibited from possessing explosives, firearms or ammunition for a year and will have to donate $500 for the University of Alberta burn unit, according to the CBC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/14 ... 98341.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

We hear a story such as this in relation to "professionals" who's job it is to screen passengers, then on the other side we hear stories of people who are alleged to have uttered something on a plane and with only the say so of another passenger are kicked off a flight.

There are some real horror stories of people kicked off planes because another passenger "thought" they heard the passenger say something or a flight attendant accused someone of, for example, taking a cell phone picture of the inside of the plane.

The accusing passenger, leaves and isn't heard from again, but the kicked off passenger is held, interrogated, etc.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

that's it..daaaaaaaaaaaaaam
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

the truth wrote:that's it..daaaaaaaaaaaaaam

What's your point ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

He made it already - not enough punishment I think.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

How can this be?!! I'm given a hard time even for having more than an ounce of liquid. This is f'ing ridiculous. What if they didn't catch him???
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

I agree this is absolutely ridiculous.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Seems like something slipped through a pretty big crack with CATSA that day. Especially considering that the screening Gestapo at YLW regularly hit the panic button and keep people from getting on their flight until the police come when they find a .22 shell in someone's carry-on.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

*BEFORE* 7/11 took place WITH THE CONSENT OF A SUPERVISOR I ONCE made it through airline screening with an unloaded .38 revolver in my carry on luggage and 12 rounds of ammunition in a second carry on bag.

The same "packaging" was tried a number of times and only once was it successful. EVERY time was with the consent of the supervisor. The imaging persons eyes got pretty big when she realized what she had missed.

As a rule they used to be very good and since 7/11 have likely only got better as a result of better equipment ... although they seem to have goofed badly after finding the pipe bomb.

Return to “Canada”