Death at Suncor Fort McMurray.

Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Death at Suncor Fort McMurray.

Post by Thebrewhouse »

http://www.suncor.com/en/newsroom/5441.aspx?id=1799706

My heart goes out to coworkers, family, and friends.

FORT MCMURRAY, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - Jan. 20, 2014) - It is with deepest regrets that Suncor Energy reports there has been an employee fatality at its Oil Sands site on Sunday January 19, 2014.

Suncor Emergency Services personnel responded to a request for service early today after an employee was unable to be located.

Suncor immediately activated its emergency response plan, began full-scale search operations and notified the RCMP and Alberta Occupational Health and Safety.

The employee was located a few hours later and was declared deceased at the scene.

"We extend our sincere condolences to the family, friends and co-workers. They are certainly in our thoughts and prayers during this extremely difficult time," said Mark Little, Suncor executive vice president, Upstream.

The employee's immediate family members have been notified and Suncor's human resources team has initiated grief counselling activities for family and co-workers of the employee. No other employees were involved.

Suncor is working with the appropriate authorities and will complete a full investigation into the cause of the incident.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Death at Suncor Fort McMurray.

Post by Ken7 »

Has there been a name released? I may have missed it.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

This is just another example of poor journalism. I've tried to locate a current update in order to learn the name of the victim. No sign anywhere. In todays world, I'm sure there is many of us who know of more then a handful of persons who work at Fort Mac.

Why wouldn't they follow up with the story?? It wouldn't take a lot of effort, but that's work right.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe the family doesn't want the name published.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

If that is the case in many accidental deaths they will have a follow-up and in conclusion, "Upon request of the family, the name will not be released."

It just makes on wonder if there was any follow-up on the story. I have many friends who work there.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

January 20, 2014
Additional information in relation to the victim’s identity will not be released out of respect for the family.

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2014/ ... at-suncor/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Ken7 wrote:This is just another example of poor journalism.

Or Suncor wants to keep things quiet.

Can't have the oilsands being viewed as anything but a vessel for jobs, green trees and families holding hands now cant they?

Ft Mac just LOVES reporters nosing around asking questions.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Or maybe it's just not news. Industrial fatalities occur in Canada at a rate of about a thousand a year. What others have you heard about lately?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

Google is your friend. The Globe and Mail released the name of the deceased in an report on January 20th, the day after the fatality occurred.
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

fluffy wrote:Or maybe it's just not news. Industrial fatalities occur in Canada at a rate of about a thousand a year. What others have you heard about lately?

Someone dying at a workplace is not news? Wow really? There are tens of thousands of car accidents in Canada, but it sure seems that Castanet reports almost all of them. Suncor's CEO hasn't even released a statement yet, hence trying to sweep it under the rug like it didn't happen. It's not news because the media/government is paid keep their focus away from the Oil Sands Big Five.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Thebrewhouse wrote:
Someone dying at a workplace is not news? Wow really? There are tens of thousands of car accidents in Canada, but it sure seems that Castanet reports almost all of them. Suncor's CEO hasn't even released a statement yet, hence trying to sweep it under the rug like it didn't happen. It's not news because the media/government is paid keep their focus away from the Oil Sands Big Five.

I guess if you look at it under that dim light, why do they report on Gang Land shootings? Just someone taking out the trash.

My view is, many people from across Canada have friends... opps. Maybe it happens to be someone from another province that we knew. That is why it would be news to me.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Thebrewhouse wrote:Someone dying at a workplace is not news? Wow really? There are tens of thousands of car accidents in Canada, but it sure seems that Castanet reports almost all of them. Suncor's CEO hasn't even released a statement yet, hence trying to sweep it under the rug like it didn't happen. It's not news because the media/government is paid keep their focus away from the Oil Sands Big Five.

If that's the case then why don't we here more about workplace fatalities in general? Like I said, they happen in Canada at a rate of about a thousand a year, in my experience we only hear about the very local ones. From where I sit the only reason the death of a single worker in another province was brought up in the first place is to shine a bad light on the oilsands in general, an environmentalist agenda that is light years away from "reporting the news". In reality we're not hearing much about this death for the same reason we don't hear much about all the others.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Canada”