Canada Post

twobits
Guru

Re: Canada Post

Post by twobits »

GrooveTunes wrote: Wow…except for the grade 10 everything you said here is false.

Salary

Hourly wages for letter carriers range from $22.46 to $24.01 an hour (2009 figures). Benefits for permanent employees include a disability insurance plan, dental plan, vision care and hearing aid plan, group surgical and medical plan, supplementary death benefits plan, superannuation plan, minimum of three weeks vacation each year and paid sick leave.

There is where the 30% on top of wage rates comes from. Glad you at least admit only grade 10 required. It is curious why so many of the job postings say grade 12 when the official hiring policy is only grade 10.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

GrooveTunes wrote:How do you know that if CP is refusing to release the costs of the conversion? You don't.

Simple logic. They're trying to cut down costs any way they can, and they cut home delivery and replace it with boxes. Why? Because it's cheaper. If home delivery was cheaper, Canada Post would be all about home delivery. If pigeon delivery was cheaper, Canada Post would be all about pigeons.

Just like any company that care about their bottom line, they do things that are most efficient. That tells me that boxes are more efficient than home delivery.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Glad you included the disclaimer about that other Deepak Chopra!

I wonder how many communities the cancellation of home delivery actually affects? I was surprised when I moved here 15 years ago and discovered y'all still had this nifty door-to-door service. (Took me back to the days when my milk came to my door in bottles.) Seemed quite the luxury at the time, and I'm sure it's not any less expensive today.

It's been nice, but I'm pretty sure I'll survive having to walk once again to get my mail.

And it seems to me that in the Okanagan, most older people with mobility challenges live in the gated communities and seniors' residences where they already have to walk a few steps to get their mail. It would be interesting to know just how many people will truly be inconvenienced by this move.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

rustled wrote:Glad you included the disclaimer about that other Deepak Chopra!

I wonder how many communities the cancellation of home delivery actually affects? I was surprised when I moved here 15 years ago and discovered y'all still had this nifty door-to-door service. (Took me back to the days when my milk came to my door in bottles.) Seemed quite the luxury at the time, and I'm sure it's not any less expensive today.

It's been nice, but I'm pretty sure I'll survive having to walk once again to get my mail.

And it seems to me that in the Okanagan, most older people with mobility challenges live in the gated communities and seniors' residences where they already have to walk a few steps to get their mail. It would be interesting to know just how many people will truly be inconvenienced by this move.

It will be nice to see everybody getting their mail in the same way and not some getting it delivered and others picking it up...Besides, the exercise will do most people good and save the taxpayers from bailing the PO out.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

i hope the new boxes are big enough, as i will go get my mail once a month, if not i guess they could stop filling it with junk mail.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

The last two times I've sent a parcel, I've paid the extra for guaranteed two day delivery....NOT happened either time, and just so you know, full refund is given if it doesn't happen so I have pretty much free shipping.....and they wonder why business is down...
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

[Maybe] union members do that on purpose so you blame post office. in their silly minds they forget that they are shedding jobs because of their dumb tactics.
Last edited by Merry on Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for clarity
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Watch for the new billboards from Salmon Arm to Oliver.

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

So are you suggesting the new community mailboxes will be privately owned lol?
The billboards should say "I should be paid thirty plus dollars an hour and a pension for life for bringing mail to your house. Call your MP if you agree"
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

“Now listen to the first three aims of the corporatist movement in Germany, Italy and France during the 1920s. These were developed by the people who went on to become part of the Fascist experience:
(1) shift power directly to economic and social interest groups;
(2) push entrepreneurial initiative in areas normally reserved for public bodies;
(3) obliterate the boundaries between public and private interest -- that is, challenge the idea of the public interest.
This sounds like the official program of most contemporary Western governments.”
― John Ralston Saul, The Unconscious Civilization
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

hobbyguy wrote: (2) push entrepreneurial initiative in areas normally reserved for public bodies;

Are you suggesting entrepreneurial initiatives should not be applied when it comes to Crown Corporations if it makes them operate more cost effectively? We should just leave them alone to operate as dinosaurs that eventually leads to their disappearance or survival linked only to an attachment to the taxpayer teat. We're talking about mail delivery here Hobby.....there is plenty of room for entrepreneurial initiative in that business model and it certainly doesn't make me a Fascist for suggesting it.
Actually, some of the things the postal union have suggested to save their skins like expanding into banking are certainly entrepreneurial initiatives. Guess the union is a bunch of Fascists as well huh?

Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I heard today that if you mail a parcel from a "sub contractor", like Shoppers, etc. they can and most do charge you more than if you took it directly to Canada Post...........going to have to check it out......
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I heard that too
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

where did you hear that, nope.

Return to “Canada”