Feds' cuts to band constables threaten safety

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Feds' cuts to band constables threaten safety

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

The Manitoba government says a federal plan to stop funding band constables in 31 First Nations threatens public safety in those communities.
The province and the communities were given notice in early January that Ottawa would cease funding band constables as of March 31, 2015. The program has operated since 1969.
Justice Minister Andrew Swan said First Nations leaders he’s spoken to are "very concerned" about the move.

Swan said the move will effectively end "front-line policing" in many remote First Nation communities.
He said Ottawa has discussed the possibility of providing the province with the equivalent funding — $1.7 million a year — to purchase police services, but the solution has several drawbacks.
The province would only be able to hire the equivalent of about 15 Mounties with the money and, with round the clock shifts, that means there would be four additional officers on duty at any one time.
As well, band constables work under federal legislation that allows them to enforce band bylaws — an area that is out of provincial jurisdiction.
"You tell me how four officers on patrol are going to provide public safety to 31 First Nations across Manitoba including... remote first nations that are not connected to a road network," Swan told the more than 400 party members attending the convention at the Canad Inns Polo Park in Winnipeg.
"The Conservative government tells us they’re about law and order. They may be about law but they’re certainly not about order," he said to the crowd.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breaki ... 32541.html
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Re: Feds' cuts to band constables threaten safety

Post by Walking Wounded »

Well maybe they should do like the rest of the country does and pay for it themselves.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

by country, what exactly do you mean? are you referring to one of the 31 first nations referred to in the article?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

That is what the funding they get should be used, instead of lining the chiefs pockets and his relatives.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

I mean all of us in this country, that pay taxes. You know its called Canada
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

so you feel people that do not pay taxes, net zero or less, should have no say in policing? like many politicians and wealthy 'canadians' that essentially pay no tax, they should not have any influence on funding for or provision of policing services?
T.Tsarnaev
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

From what I understand the lack of "value for money spent" was a large part of the reason for the cutbacks. One of the serious problems with the native police selection and enforcement system is that family loyalties rather than an attempt to enforce justice becomes the determining factor. Which family gets the next job is not the best selection system for a police force.

Most bands in B.C. are policed by the RCMP and natives are simply part of the RCMP establishment policing the community. Some, like Ahousahht, Fort Ware and Ingenika have their own permanent or temporary detachments in the main villages.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:so you feel people that do not pay taxes, net zero or less, should have no say in policing?

I think people who pay no taxes should be introduced to "You get what you pay for" concept and shut up.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Fer Gods Sake, Aboriginal people pay taxes!! The only ones who do not are status and who work ON a reserve! Sheesh, I get so tired of the ignorance!!
Walking Wounded
Übergod

coffeeFreak wrote:Fer Gods Sake, Aboriginal people pay taxes!! The only ones who do not are status and who work ON a reserve! Sheesh, I get so tired of the ignorance!!

The people complaining are on remote reserves in northern Manitoba, not much up there that isn't on a reserve so not many paying income tax.
As I understand the city here pays for the RCMP in town, the city gets it's money from property taxes so all that live here help pay the costs. If these people complaining they don't like the policing there getting then they should buck up and pay like the rest of us have too.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

removed
Last edited by Jo on Feb 14th, 2014, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal insult
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unless it has changed in the last few years native RCMP officers who have status pay income tax for all work time done on files OFF of the reserves. They do not pay income tax for hours spent working on files ON the reserve. They keep hourly sheets to determine the hours that they worked either on or off of the various reserves. The time sheets are routinely verified by the detachment commander.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:Unless it has changed in the last few years native RCMP officers who have status pay income tax for all work time done on files OFF of the reserves. They do not pay income tax for hours spent working on files ON the reserve. They keep hourly sheets to determine the hours that they worked either on or off of the various reserves. The time sheets are routinely verified by the detachment commander.

Do you know if this tax exemption also applies to native owned businesses and corporations? Am thinking of Westbank where virtually all of the commercial space is on reserve lands. What a huge competitive advantage!
Even status natives working in those stores would pay no income tax.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Business income:
Your business income is generally exempt from tax if the actual income-earning activities of the business take place on a reserve. If your business is operated entirely on a reserve, your business income is connected to a reserve and is exempt under section 87 of the Indian Act. If your business activities are mostly carried on off a reserve, your business income is taxable because the exemption under section 87 does not apply.

Determining whether your business income is taxable is based on the factors that connect income to a reserve. The courts have indicated that the most significant connecting factor is the location where your business carries on its revenue-generating activities. If your actual income-earning activities take place on a reserve, the location of your customers is also an important factor. Other connecting factors, which are less important, are listed below.

Connecting factors
*whether or not you live on a reserve
*whether you maintain an office on a reserve or take business orders from a location on a reserve
*whether your books and records are kept on a reserve
*whether your administrative, clerical, or accounting activities take place on a reserve

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/brgnls/stts-eng.html#hdng5
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Canada”