Aboriginal Children In Care

driveangry
Übergod

Re: Aboriginal Children In Care

Post by driveangry »

Ken7 wrote:Tonights news, approaching Government for funding to start their own program again.

This topic troubles me, as I've stated they are damned if they do and damned if they don't intervene.

Does anyone have the answer?

This seams to be a hot topic, I've asked questions and can't or they won't give me any answers. A few years ago the Band here welcomed back to the community a couple of kids that were taken by the gov. They had a community supper to introduce them to their roots/culture/people/home. Those kids looked terrified, looked like they just got out of church in the 1970's. They were adopted in to a family on the Res.. And now that I think about it, I haven't seen them since. ?????
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

driveangry wrote:

This seams to be a hot topic, I've asked questions and can't or they won't give me any answers. A few years ago the Band here welcomed back to the community a couple of kids that were taken by the gov. They had a community supper to introduce them to their roots/culture/people/home. Those kids looked terrified, looked like they just got out of church in the 1970's. They were adopted in to a family on the Res.. And now that I think about it, I haven't seen them since. ?????

So how is this cycle broken? If the parents fail to care for their child, and the relatives are not there for that child what should we do?

In Saskatchewan they freeze them, unfortunately when exposed to the elements the child dies.

This will come again full circle and their will be tears from those third generation children when some lawyer harnesses them all up in a class action law suit. I think it's terrible when a child is abandoned by their parents, and remove ethnic background from the picture.

However, in saying this I think the Government should start class action civil law suits against those who created the original crisis.

In todays society we fail to make people accountable for their actions, and this is just another fine example of it. How should the Government be held accountable for protecting a child? Sadly, if a child who parents are Indian, Ukrainian, Greek, Canadian or any other ethnic background we can not always accommodate that child to be placed in a home where they will no be torn from their own culture.

I used to ask many young people, what is your ethnic background? Then ask do you speak the language and many said no, this includes me. Now, should I be able to gang up with 200 - 300 others and say, the Government removed my right to be as my Grandparents were in their culture and expect compensation? The offered me and forced me to learn French, I'm scared for life now as a result. Why couldn't I learn Ukrainian or Polish so my parents culture would be preserved?

I think it's time we give our heads a shake and stop the problem as it's going in circles and the cycle continues.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

After posting I thought this can not be localized to Canada only and did some searching. I found this article which the link is,http://www.claihr.ca/projects/addressingIndianResidential.html

Something of interest, in the USA there have been several lawsuits, further in the article they are spoken of. Interesting read to say the least.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

driveangry wrote:

I think it's necessary to ask, did you see in person the look they had when they came from church? This is the problem as I see it, these are the stories. As these horrible stories are told they tend to grow.

What have you seen in direct relation to children been protected? Why did they have to be protected? Where were the parents or those left to supervise these little ones?

We all have horror stories, the Ukrainian people who migrated from their homelands under Government promises which were untrue and many other European people who came to this great Country. They were all mislead, and were they scarred for life? I'm certain they were, but what did they do about it? They picked up their work tools and carried on. Did they continue to shed the tears? It was these people who made Canada what it is today, as the took unbroken land and made homesteads many in the 1900 still have family living and working those lands.

I'll ask you to speak to the older Aboriginals, ones who were not taken away. See how they have embraced their culture and passed it on. You might be somewhat surprised, that this tradition has not been kept up.

This is no different in many cultures, so don't feel bad it's reality and no the Canadian Government is not to blame, Grandpa, Grandma, Dad, Mom are the ones who are responsible and no-one else.

That is being responsible by admitting to the facts.

Return to “Canada”