Aboriginal Children In Care

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Aboriginal Children In Care

Post by Ken7 »

"In Canada there are more aboriginal children in care that were ever taken at the height of residential school… in some areas in the province up to 85 to 90 per cent of children in care are Aboriginal."

Numbers that don't sit right with the Nation Alliance, which is why they have banned together with other First Nations and Metis in the province to crete pubic awareness and find out how services could be better employed by Aboriginal Leadership instead of through the MCFD.

"We have developed a plan and we have presented that plan to the Ministry, we presented that plan to Aboriginal Affairs Northern Development, and they said no. They said no 'we will not fund that'," says Houde.

"Some children really should not be with their family at this point, but we are saying they can be with extended family they can remain in our community," she explains. "These children need help and intervention, but the majority of this is about poverty, it is about systemic inequalities, it is about access to housing, accesses to unemployment, access to education and training."

I'm beginning to wonder what is wrong here.

Firstly who is responsible for the care of these children? If the government did not step in and care for them, where would they be?

I'd like to see the plan that has been put forward.
driveangry
Übergod

Re: Aboriginal Children In Care

Post by driveangry »

The first thing I thought of also, let's see the plan. But I'm sure the words on paper will have as much meaning as the words from the government papers, worthless.

I would question the stats. There are so many things wrong with the system and so much wrong with what was said in the story.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

removed
Last edited by Jo on Feb 18th, 2014, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

driveangry wrote:The first thing I thought of also, let's see the plan. But I'm sure the words on paper will have as much meaning as the words from the government papers, worthless.

I would question the stats. There are so many things wrong with the system and so much wrong with what was said in the story.

I agree with you however, it appears that Social Services is darned if they do, and darned if they don't.

This whole issue comes full circle, I can appreciate native cultures, but if there is no-one to care for the child we must. I'm sorry I don't have what is the answer? This bringing back residential school, was many of the cases directly related to this same lack of responsibility by those who gave this child life?

History repeating itself I feel, and giving them money that would not be appropriately spent on child care would not benefit the aboriginal community. Therefore what is the answer, at the least the children are cared for we hope.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Ken7 wrote:
I agree with you however, it appears that Social Services is darned if they do, and darned if they don't.

This whole issue comes full circle, I can appreciate native cultures, but if there is no-one to care for the child we must. I'm sorry I don't have what is the answer? This bringing back residential school, was many of the cases directly related to this same lack of responsibility by those who gave this child life?

History repeating itself I feel, and giving them money that would not be appropriately spent on child care would not benefit the aboriginal community. Therefore what is the answer, at the least the children are cared for we hope.

I don't think there is one answer or one fix, there are so many factors that come in to play and every family situation, every band, and every community is so different.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

One of the big answers is to get these kids educated. The schools and the teachers have to be under direct control of the government because the other way has not worked. Teachers also need more say and more power. Teaching the kids could actually start with day care.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

grammafreddy wrote:One of the big answers is to get these kids educated. The schools and the teachers have to be under direct control of the government because the other way has not worked. Teachers also need more say and more power. Teaching the kids could actually start with day care.

This could be a topic for a new thread that would get heated up very quickly. I don't think teachers and the school district would like to hear my thoughts on that topic.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:One of the big answers is to get these kids educated. The schools and the teachers have to be under direct control of the government because the other way has not worked. Teachers also need more say and more power. Teaching the kids could actually start with day care.

driveangry wrote:This could be a topic for a new thread that would get heated up very quickly. I don't think teachers and the school district would like to hear my thoughts on that topic.

I should clarify - I was talking about the reserves where there are schools - especially the northern ones and the remote ones. We have to get to these kids before the booze and the drugs do.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I'm not with you on this one Granny. Teaching the kids should be started by responsible parents. To teach the kids in a school and then have them go home to an unacceptable environment will not yield satisfactory results.
Black Dogs Matter
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Here in my opinion where you both are right and wrong. I'm a strong believer in education. The biggest problem is trying to break the cycle where kids are in a problem home usually because the lack of education for the parents and their parents that can be traced back to the residential schools. Once we can break that cycle things will turn around.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Don't take this as being racist as there is no intent, how do you educate without Government intervention native children who parents, a don't care if they do to school and many have dropped out also because no-one felt the need to have them educated??

My brother-in-law was a product of the Residential Schools. He will tell you the honest truth that, that was the best thing that happened to him. I just wish those who were there were more truthful as if it wasn't for the residential school that era of youth would have in most cases been wasted..no pun intended.

Sadly some lawyer likely out of Saskatchewan ( Merchant ) thought this was a money maker and convinced many to sign up the class action suit.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Why should the Government be startled with the responsibility of raising Aboriginal Children? What about their Government, they keep *bleep* skunk when ever the Government does what they feel is right. Maybe they need to start standing up for their own already, the money they get for education that is inappropriately spent is atrocious and it's time the Canadian Government says wow..enough of this if you can't show where it is going it will be cut back.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

driveangry wrote:Here in my opinion where you both are right and wrong. I'm a strong believer in education. The biggest problem is trying to break the cycle where kids are in a problem home usually because the lack of education for the parents and their parents that can be traced back to the residential schools. Once we can break that cycle things will turn around.

Well that is the issue. Government sees child is in short abused, they remove them and now they are wrong.

What the hell does the residential school have to do with this sad case we have now. I know people who were saved by residential schools, and they will attest to that fact "saved."

I guess they are just honest about the lack of responsible parenting they had. Enough of this BS about educating people now being the problem, get your head out of the sand and stand up to the fact that if no-one is going to care for a child the Government did the right thing!
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Ken7 wrote:
Well that is the issue. Government sees child is in short abused, they remove them and now they are wrong.

What the hell does the residential school have to do with this sad case we have now. I know people who were saved by residential schools, and they will attest to that fact "saved."

I guess they are just honest about the lack of responsible parenting they had. Enough of this BS about educating people now being the problem, get your head out of the sand and stand up to the fact that if no-one is going to care for a child the Government did the right thing!

LOL, my head isn't in the sand, you know nothing of me, my family, and my community family. My wife started the band school here, didn't take long for the school to have a higher grade average and approval than the public schools here. It really ticked off the district school board and the local schools. But unfortunately the school only goes to grade 7 so grade 8 and up have to go to the public school. Now suddenly their marks drop.

As for your b-in law, what exactly does "saved" mean?? Are you sure he isn't in denial ?? Embarrassed of what happened or just lucky.

Residential schools is one of the biggest causes as to why these kids today are being removed. The kids that were abused in the residential schools were so messed up with no help from your great government. These people used drugs and alcohol for there mental escape, some became abusive. They had no parenting skills so their kids were treated the only way they knew how. And the cycle continues with their kids and so on. Until that cycle can be broken it will continue. Not everyone that was abused or that attended these schools turned out bad, addicts, alcoholics or abusive. The weaker ones did.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

driveangry wrote:

LOL, my head isn't in the sand, you know nothing of me, my family, and my community family. My wife started the band school here, didn't take long for the school to have a higher grade average and approval than the public schools here. It really ticked off the district school board and the local schools. But unfortunately the school only goes to grade 7 so grade 8 and up have to go to the public school. Now suddenly their marks drop.

As for your b-in law, what exactly does "saved" mean?? Are you sure he isn't in denial ?? Embarrassed of what happened or just lucky.

Residential schools is one of the biggest causes as to why these kids today are being removed. The kids that were abused in the residential schools were so messed up with no help from your great government. These people used drugs and alcohol for there mental escape, some became abusive. They had no parenting skills so their kids were treated the only way they knew how. And the cycle continues with their kids and so on. Until that cycle can be broken it will continue. Not everyone that was abused or that attended these schools turned out bad, addicts, alcoholics or abusive. The weaker ones did.

Laugh all you like. I'm tired of hearing how screwed up the Aboriginal community is. Take some responsibility. If the students are doing so well in 1-7 explain why they are failing there after? Why are the people not caring for their people? Why is it turned back to the Canadian Government where is your Great Government? Why is the money provide to them not put where it was called for?

I am no stranger to the Native ways, I have many friends who are Aboriginal. I grew up in northern Sask, I married a Indian who by the act was entitled by Treaty but by her people she was not to many things.

Saved, yes my brother-in-law will say saved. In his words, he and his brothers would have been no good for nothing if they had not been taken to the residential schools. He admits that his parents failed as many in his northern community did.

I am tired of hearing about poor us, if the Government would stop treating these people like children and making them be accountable and responsible we would have positive change. Then that cycle would be broken, where is your Great Government, how's that Self Government really working? We the Tax payers are not seeing it, when will we?

If you are a honest person you will agree, hand everything to anyone and they will not learn to help themselves.

Housing is a fine example. I worked for Department of Northern Sask. Building houses for the Aboriginals. Yes, two years later start the process again because if you don't have any ownership you have no pride in the house you were given. I saw it many times, look on Westbank only those on counsel have nice homes, why is that or have you figured it out yet?

One day the Government will have the people behind them and say stop, stop paving the way to total disaster as their own are not making much headway in stopping the cycle. Those in charge are only making thing more difficult for their poor people.

Return to “Canada”