Canada's obesity rates triple in less than 30 years

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Canada's obesity rates triple in less than 30 years

Post by oneh2obabe »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yes. Anybody who frequents a weight room will be considered obese.

Really? I'll have to tell my youngest he's obese ... you'll more than likely hear his response across country.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

oneh2obabe wrote:Really? I'll have to tell my youngest he's obese ... you'll more than likely hear his response across country.

Yup. The methodology behind obesity studies is what's called Body Mass Index (BMI) and how weight is related to height. Muscles are much more dense than fat, so somebody with a decent amount of muscles will be obese - because what kind of weight person carries doesn't matter.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:People need to learn something about nutrition.

Everything in moderation. Exercise is crucial for well being and nutrition is something we all should know about. Google if you have to.
http://www.dwe.sd23.bc.ca/Parents/fruit ... fault.aspx
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Most people know and understand the importance of proper nutrition and exercise but they're simply too lazy to be bothered by it because that extra bit of time to actually boil some rice instead of zapping processed foods will cut in to their "me time" because their 40 hour work week is just so exhausting.

I don't blame the food companies, I don't blame McDonalds, I blame the people themselves because they have made the personal choice of taking convenience over nutrition and are now (as per usual in todays society) blaming and pointing fingers at everyone else.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yup. The methodology behind obesity studies is what's called Body Mass Index (BMI) and how weight is related to height. Muscles are much more dense than fat, so somebody with a decent amount of muscles will be obese - because what kind of weight person carries doesn't matter.

BMI does have one major drawback - it doesn't take into account how much of your weight is muscle and how much of your weight is fat.

If you are an athlete or active, you are going to have more weight in muscle than the average person, and your BMI may not accurately reflect your health and fitness, or how healthy and fit you look. Many athletes have a higher than normal scale weight, despite being active and being lean. It's not unusual for a bodybuilder, football player or basketball player to have a BMI that reads overweight or obese, despite the fact that they are obviously lean and fit.

This is where body fat percentage comes in. Body fat percentage is literally measuring what percentage of your body is made up of fat. Everything else is usually referred to as "lean tissue." This gives a more accurate representation of health, fitness and leanness for someone who is physically active.

The results of your body fat percentage are determined as follows:

For women, 10-12% is essential fat; 14-20% is in the athlete category; 21-24% is fit; 25-31% is acceptable; and 32% or more is obese.

For men, 2-4% is essential fat; 6-13% is in the athlete category; 14-17% is fit; 18-25% is acceptable; and 25% or more is obese.

Stop being so obsessed with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Some people have posted about "going to the gym" and "muscle".

The human body is not intended to look like Mr Universe - unless you work doing heavy physical labour 12 hours a day, spend 6 hours eating and 6 hours sleeping. Even then you are not going to look like you belong on Muscle Monthly Magazine.

I know many muscle obsessed people that are overweight (just because you have big muscles does not mean you are "in shape") because they can't run a kilometer or swim 100 meters, not just because their BMI says they are.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Just look at photos from 50's and 60's .
Eggs bacon meat fish and potatoes and they were far more stick figures.
Things just got to easy and it got us lazy.There's a simple solution but I think at the core we are not to bright when it comes to discipline
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Mar 12th, 2014, 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Atomoa wrote:I know many muscle obsessed people that are overweight (just because you have big muscles does not mean you are "in shape") because they can't run a kilometer or swim 100 meters, not just because their BMI says they are.

Being "in-shape" doesn't mean you can run a kilometer or swim 100 meters. There are people who don't run because of a bad back, knees or hips or have another impediment to running without pain. There are people who don't swim because they never learned or they have a fear of water.

Lots of people hit the gym along with their everyday physical activities because they want to, not because they hope to be on the cover of "Muscle Magazine". Another reason might be they don't have the proper equipment at home to increase their mobility and physical well-being. Bottom line - if you go to the gym, good for you. If you don't feel you need the gym, good for you.

I know a few, as you put it, "muscle obsessed" people who aren't overweight. I also know people who aren't "muscle obsessed" that are overweight.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I have an obese frined who is taking high blood pressure pills.

All he has to do is lose weight and he wouldn't need the pills.

It sound slike only a quack would give pills to someone when simpler solutions exist.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Here we go again. Simply changing your diet won't alleviate the underlying conditions that lead to prehypertension or high blood pressure - stage 1 or 2. Best to work with your doctor to find a treatment plan that works for you.

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Atomoa wrote:Some people have posted about "going to the gym" and "muscle".

The human body is not intended to look like Mr Universe - unless you work doing heavy physical labour 12 hours a day, spend 6 hours eating and 6 hours sleeping. Even then you are not going to look like you belong on Muscle Monthly Magazine.

I know many muscle obsessed people that are overweight (just because you have big muscles does not mean you are "in shape") because they can't run a kilometer or swim 100 meters, not just because their BMI says they are.

It's not so black and white. Saying you go to the gym to build muscle doesn't mean you are an aspiring meathead. Your body is made for building muscle, it likes pushing the limits physically and it just makes you overall healthier in body and, more importantly, mind. It gives your body the release it needs from all the day to day pressures that get built up with nowhere to go. I go to the gym as a mental health service to the general public.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

People got pretty defensive over my post.

If you spend all your time pumping iron to solely build muscle and that's all you have is muscle (bad knees - what?) and your BMI says you are overweight, don't just start questioning the validity of BMI because you are at place called "a gym" and that must mean you are healthy one way or the other.

Your body was made for building muscle, but as I said to a point. No Roman slave ever looked like Mr Universe. It's just like a "fat person" on a couch - if you have a high weight and your body cannot support that weight then you will prematurely run your body down. Doesn't matter if you just tie 20 pound bricks to your arms - if you do not train your body to be able to support that weight you are overburdening it.

This was not comment about "meatheads". Settle down. Roid rage? *poke*.

I know plenty of people with beach bodies who cannot run a kilometer (because they loose their breath, get sore legs, ect) They spend all their time lifting heavy weights, driving too and from the gym. If you cannot run a kilometer and you have no aliments or special circumstances then no matter how close to atlas you look, it's time to pay attention because your body is off balance.

It's funny that the fatter people get (socially) the more of a group-think goes on about "what IS fat anyways". I'm a slender athletic type and I always have been. Always blow people away with stamina/strength and I believe it's just a psychological effect as people seem to always expect the bigger guys to be stronger/stamina.

My partner is the same body type and experiences "female skinny girl hate" on almost a daily basis.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Here we go again. Simply changing your diet won't alleviate the underlying conditions that lead to prehypertension or high blood pressure - stage 1 or 2. Best to work with your doctor to find a treatment plan that works for you.

Tell u what.!! Having a realistic healthy diet and doing some exersize such as walking around the block a few times a day etc
will MOST CERTAINLY help alleviate the the unslaught of the above and or help u out in the rare case where u get these sicknesses
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Contrary to your beliefs, diet alone won't stop things from happening. While a healthy diet, exercise, etc. helps tremendously, it doesn't guarantee you won't develop HBP or any other malady.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

rvrepairnut wrote:Having a realistic healthy diet and doing some exersize such as walking around the block a few times a day etc will MOST CERTAINLY help alleviate the the unslaught of the above and or help u out in the rare case where u get these sicknesses

I don't know, people in Uganda are on a diet and walk everywhere. They don't look very healthy.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Canada”