Staples closing...

Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Staples closing...

Post by Randall T »

Many stores, like Staples, have "online only" merchandise. It expands their selection much more than what could be stocked in walk-in stores. More online shopping brings more forwarding related jobs. It's a tradeoff. I think I'd rather be delivering merchandise than working in a store dealing with customers.
I birn quil I se
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Randall T wrote:Many stores, like Staples, have "online only" merchandise. It expands their selection much more than what could be stocked in walk-in stores. More online shopping brings more forwarding related jobs. It's a tradeoff. I think I'd rather be delivering merchandise than working in a store dealing with customers.

You actually make a very valid observation. Perhaps the retail model developing right now is that of "showroom fronts" vs box stores where the purchaser can kick the tires so to speak, have a one on one with someone who hopefully is versed in the products, and we either order it online at the store or go home and order it. The store only has a display model and carries no physical inventory. The obvious tradeoff is our need for instand gratification in taking the box home versus recognizing that there are savings to be had by a central wharehouse and the efficiencies that brings at the expense of waiting two or three days for the christmas tree moment. Me thinks the whole concept of box stores and the shopping mall retail model is going to be very different inside the next decade.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

There are a few things to consider when buying online.

1. When your order arrives in a box that looks like it got run over by a stampede of buffalo (which happens constantly), you are left playing a horrible waiting game. Most times you need to either sit on a phone waiting for a customer service rep to review your case. You'll need to send in photo's of the box and/or product damage and then wait for the company to contact the delivery service. After they clear things up and you are deemed to be not at fault, they will send out new product or at times offer you some credit back if you decide to keep your damaged product. Many people end up keeping items that are scratched or slightly damaged in a way that doesn't seem worth the time to get it replaced.

2. When you buy something online and there is no physical store in town, you are left with a massive shipping bill to send a broken/damaged item even if it's under warranty.

3. If you buy from any store in the USA or other foreign country almost always legally voiding any warranty your item might have had.

4. Many products need to be seen before you buy it. For example, listening to speakers or seeing a TV while it's on. Many people simply gamble on liking the 'sound' or 'picture quality' of a product and order it online only to be very sorry for not taking the time to go and demo it before hand.

5. Buying online does not put money into your local economy. Box stores provide jobs for thousands of people in Kelowna alone...and supporting them makes a difference to our community.

6. Many companies will price-match with other stores, even online stores. Just because you can find it online, try seeing if our local store will price-match that offer. I've done this myself at Futureshop and scored great deals.

I have bought many things online and been happy with alot of it. I have also had my share of problems too. Over time I found that buying locally ended up being the smarter choice in alot of situations. I really do prefer to keep the money local even if it costs me alittle more. If it's a huge savings I'll order online but I'm careful of what I order. Shipping heavy and/or bulky items back to a company can cost you big bucks and also takes a long time before you get it processed and have a new item shipped back. It's really nice to be able to just take my item in the car to a local store and have a new one in my hands in 15 minutes....and yes, it's worth paying alittle more for.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

hobbyguy wrote:Part of the issue is that if you buy offshore or stateside, and it comes by mail (assuming you are willing to wait) - no HST or PST+GST.

Not according to the sales tax laws I deal with every day.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

hobbyguy wrote:Part of the issue is that if you buy offshore or stateside, and it comes by mail (assuming you are willing to wait) - no HST or PST+GST.
Rwede wrote:Not according to the sales tax laws I deal with every day.

You could be right but I have rarely if ever paid any tax for online purchases and I have done quite a few.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I have only had to pay sales tax when shipped priority. I have never been assessed sales tax with standard shipping.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

The amount escapes me at the moment, but for smaller values they do not bother applying sales taxes. Something like a $50 declared value ceiling ? If the international vendor plays the "gift" game, then larger values would escape tax and duty, but if they get caught the gig is up. Most vendors refuse to mark shipments as gifts.
I birn quil I se
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

jennylives wrote:I have only had to pay sales tax when shipped priority. I have never been assessed sales tax with standard shipping.

Yes but you also know very well that the law requires you to self report and remit those taxes owing. As online shopping becomes more and more prevalent, the day will inevitably arrive when the Gov't will be losing so much revenue in sales taxes that they will have to find a way to force compliance. Businesses risk audits so generally comply. Retail consumers will probably get snared by the Gov't making it the shipping companies responsibility to ensure there is product description and declared value, and collect and remit the appropriate tax, before delivering. Either that or some kind of declaration from the shipper that the applicable taxes for the delivery jurisdiction have been collected and remitted before the parcel can be handled. It is only fair to local businesses as well cuz right now they are at an immediate 12% disadvantage to people selling online outside our borders.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Possibly but is it worth the costs involved to collect tax on a $5 item. They would spend $1 to collect .60c.

It's the same reason you can drive across the border and spend $50 and they do nothing.

Hardly worth it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Randall T - I agree that many online vendors won't mark things as "gift". When I sell stuff online, I won't do it either.

However, if it is coming from Asia, generally I do find the documents marked as "gift". In one case, a vendor was using pre-printed customs labels with a $5.00 value and marked "electronics" - the purchase was about $30 and was not electronics. So there is abuse out there.

Regular parcel post does not seem to get caught for PST and GST. I have had purchases in the hundreds of dollars just sail right through.

Governments are aware of the problem, as an example there has been a kerfuffle in the US about collecting state sales taxes. I'm sure our government is aware of the issue, but they just don't seem to have any desire to spend the money on the infrastructure to resolve it. Perhaps, when you think about it, it is a problem that is not resolvable at the consumption end. It has to be at the vendor end, and that then runs into issues with private sellers.

I would expect though, that at some time, we will see Canada Post adopt a similar stance to Royal Mail. https://www.gov.uk/importing-and-exporting-by-post Note the 8 pound flat charge by Royal Mail for imports http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Importing-from-abroad-VAT-Customs-Royal-Mail-charges-/10000000140212557/g.html.

That would leave stuff coming from the US and Mexico out of the loop, but would affect other imports. The 8 pound ($15) flat charge for customs would eliminate a lot of smaller transactions.

I have run into this when selling items into the UK, and it requires a bunch more paperwork. It also explains why UK prices for some used items are higher than US/Canada prices. 22% import costs for vintage musical instruments - even if originally made in the UK.

Interesting that the UK allows cigarettes (up to 3200) and booze to be brought in by mail.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

jennylives wrote:I have only had to pay sales tax when shipped priority. I have never been assessed sales tax with standard shipping.

twobits wrote:
Yes but you also know very well that the law requires you to self report and remit those taxes owing. As online shopping becomes more and more prevalent, the day will inevitably arrive when the Gov't will be losing so much revenue in sales taxes that they will have to find a way to force compliance. Businesses risk audits so generally comply. Retail consumers will probably get snared by the Gov't making it the shipping companies responsibility to ensure there is product description and declared value, and collect and remit the appropriate tax, before delivering. Either that or some kind of declaration from the shipper that the applicable taxes for the delivery jurisdiction have been collected and remitted before the parcel can be handled. It is only fair to local businesses as well cuz right now they are at an immediate 12% disadvantage to people selling online outside our borders.

Jenny has a bit of trouble with the sales tax laws, twobits. From what I've seen on this forum, she very well may not know anything about self-assessments on out-of-province or out-of-Canada purchases.

Lots of good sales tax law to get yourself compliant right here, Jenny.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page?id ... 1783F4BA6D
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Was a best buy on weekend and was told eventually they will be a kiosk that will be customer point of contact for website. Pay and pick up there. I guess it's like the old Consumer Distributing. It's an unfortunate trend that removes yet another source of employment.

On the other hand it will benefit smaller outfits like Andres, Simply Computing and EB games who will be more than happy to serve the consumer in person.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

"Self compliant"?? How many people here visit Alberta from time to time? Do you every buy anything when you're over there? And who do you report to and pay PST to? I know some people who continually come home with televisions, power tools, furniture, electronics, and clothing from Alberta. All bought on sale and with no PST added. It's just part of the whole visit with the family back there.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm referring to personal purchases here, not business ones.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

jennylives wrote:I'm referring to personal purchases here, not business ones.

Doesn't matter. You are, under the law, required to self-assess and remit PST on your personal purchases.

Return to “Canada”