What has Harper done about Ukraine?

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What has Harper done about Ukraine?

Post by Thinktank »

twobits wrote:
It is simply amazing that every topic from apple orchards to what's happening in the Ukraine, you can somehow bring an anti Semitic flavour to the conversation.

It's amazing that I could post about Harper serenading - a monkey, George Bush, the leader of China, the Toronto Maple Leafs, or anything on earth and no one would care, but if I point out how nice and friendly he is to Netanyahoo, which is becoming obvious to everyone - you see it as antisemitism.

And so there's only one solution to that problem. I'll post more of those type of posts. Until people learn.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

removed
Last edited by Jo on Mar 21st, 2014, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic personal attack
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The following excerpt outlines some of the stuff Canada has already done, and provides suggestions for future Canadian Assistance:

Canada has announced $220 million in financial assistance to Ukraine, most of it conditional on the establishment of a broader package by the International Monetary Fund.

The Canadian government has also imposed economic sanctions and travel bans on 45 Ukrainian and Russian officials.

Further Canadian assistance

The ambassador said he expected Harper would make further announcements "as soon as he arrives" in Kyiv on Saturday.
Prystaiko said they "are working on different projects," some that may require technical assistance, and some that may need financial support.

The ambassador said money is good but Canada could lend its expertise in a wide range of fields.
Prystaiko said he would expect Harper to send a team of election observers in time for Ukraine's presidential elections at the end of May, as Canada has been known to do.

"I would expect that these elections, which will happen on May 25, will have some Canadian observers to help us with observation," Prystaiko said.

The ambassador said Canada could also help Ukraine rebuild its policing forces, or help with their hospitals, which are struggling to treat "hundreds of people."

Joan DeBardeleben, a political science professor at the University of Ottawa and the author of numerous books dealing with Russian politics, said there is definitely more Canada can do to help restore stability in the country.

In particular, DeBardeleben said Canada could offer advice to Ukraine's government on ways to reach out to the Russian minority in the country.

"In terms of developing mechanisms and vehicles of social inclusion for minorities. It's something we have a lot of experience with in terms of multiculturalism."

"The legitimacy of the new interim government in Ukraine will depend very heavily on whether it succeeds in that task," DeBardeleben said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen ... -1.2580418
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

If Canada really wants to help Ukrainians, they should make sure Ukraine
doesn't allow the sale of farmland to greedy foreigners, like the IMF is so desperately trying to allow.

I think i'll write Stephen Harper an email and tell him that.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:If Canada really wants to help Ukrainians, they should make sure Ukraine
doesn't allow the sale of farmland to greedy foreigners, like the IMF is so desperately trying to allow.

I think i'll write Stephen Harper an email and tell him that.
Should be minding your own stall while you're at it and ask that Canadians not buy any foreign property either.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Financial mismanagement has brought the Ukrainian economy to it's knees - hence the need for some sort of a bailout.

Given the fact that a lot of taxpayers money from various countries (including our own) will be used to fund a good chunk of that bailout, don't you think it's reasonable for those countries to insist on some sort of financial reforms to ensure "good money isn't thrown after bad"?

I'm not against the idea of requiring better money management in return for being given a loan. I think the problem with some of the IMF loans in the past has been the speed at which they've demanded the economic reforms take place. But hopefully they've learned from those past mistakes, and will slow the process down a bit. If not, it's up to all of the respective Governments to insist that they do. Because it is not in the best interest of the Western World to see Ukraine fail.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Prime Minister Harper is going to the Ukraine and will be the first G7 leader to do so... showing his support for the people of Ukraine by personally going there. An impressive act to be respected.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Okay, so he's going. Why should he though? What exactly do we think he can accomplish?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Lady tehMa wrote:Okay, so he's going. Why should he though? What exactly do we think he can accomplish?

He might serenade Ukraine's new president Yatseniuk. that would be cool.

Yatseniuk and McCain. McCain wants war.

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Maybe Harper will make the list of those who are "persona non grata" in Russia.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry - I don't know if it is correct, but it seems to have at least some validity that Yanukovitch was running a kleptocracy. Just look at the pictures of his "palace". It is the assertion of the interim government that the previous government stole $70 billion. That would account for much of the need for a bailout.

I'm guessing that this is just a small tip of the iceberg: http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/cash-jewelry-seized-in-ex-ukrainian-ministers-offices-apartments-340446.htmlhttp://www.kyivpost.com/content/politics/yatseniuk-yanukovych-administration-robbed-ukraine-of-70-billion-337772.html

Mind you, if there is a need for someone who knows how all the tricks of corruption work, then just maybe Harper is the guy.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

That article certainly points to corruption within the previous government, doesn't it?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

grammafreddy wrote:Let's hope Harper has better control of his mouth than Obama has.

I must have missed Obama's statement, he usually is pretty calm and I think much better then "I'll kick your A$$ Bush style."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Jonrox wrote: Prime Minister Harper is going to the Ukraine and will be the first G7 leader to do so... showing his support for the people of Ukraine by personally going there. An impressive act to be respected.

Here's a "leader" that applauded the overthrow of a foreign government by a minority group of its citizens, but called out the storm troopers to quell peaceful assembly and lawful protest by Canadian citizens. Impressive? Impressively hypocritical. I'm certainly not making excuses for Ukraine's deposed leader as it appears he may be guilty of embezzling millions from his country. But perhaps we should mind our own business - particularly when our government holds no moral superiority in the matter. While at one time deserving some respect in his ability to lead with a minority government, Harper has shown we had good reason to not previously trust him with majority power. Hopefully we will be able to correct that mistake next year.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Jonrox wrote:Prime Minister Harper is going to the Ukraine and will be the first G7 leader to do so... showing his support for the people of Ukraine by personally going there. An impressive act to be respected.

Here's a leader that applauded the brave overthrow of a corrupt foreign government by a concerned group of its citizens, and was smart enough to quell violent assembly and unlawful violent protest by complete losers in Toronto at the G7. Impressive? You bet! Only a complete idiot would make excuses for Ukraine's deposed leader as it appears he certainly is guilty of embezzling millions from his country. It's good to see in the spirit of Lester Pearson we aren't being giant wimps minding our own business but instead trying to help promote peace - particularly when our government holds such high moral superiority in the matter. Harper deserves a lot of respect in his ability to lead with a minority government, and has shown we had good reason to trust him with a majority power. Hopefully we will be able to ensure that majority continues for four more glorious years next year, while Justin figures out how to put a clamp on that giant mouth of his.
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Canada”