Jim Flaherty has died.

kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Jim Flaherty has died.

Post by kompili »

The rats are all the same, sickening

Flaherty was part of Mike Harris’ government in Ontario, whose cuts to water inspection services led to an E.Coli outbreak that killed seven people in Walkerton, Ontario. The same government imposed massive cuts to welfare and social housing, killing Kimberly Rogers in the process, and years later people continue to die from homelessness.

Flaherty was also part of cuts to healthcare at both provincial and federal levels. As the Council of Canadians wrote last week in an article titled Broken Promises and Abdication: Flaherty’s Healthcare Legacy, “March 31 marks the end of the 2004 Health Accord and the last day Canadian health care will have equalization payments to have-not provinces, national standards, and federal funding tied to achieving set benchmarks. March 31 is also a day to mourn the fact that we remain the only wealthy country with a universal health-care system and no national pharmacare plan.” Healthcare cuts kill, including the Tories' inhumane cuts to refugee health--denying basic health care to people who had fled rape, torture and war."

<< his policies have destroyed Canada. As usual, harper is capitalizing on this event to rewrite history and divert attention from the committee that is investigating his unfair elections act. Its simply part of Milton Friedman's ideology which harper worships. Under this corrupt system, when a crisis occurs use it to benefit neoliberalism.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

There are all too many posts in this thread that demonstrate [beyond any doubt] the fact that some people are absolutely without even a modicum of class. New depths in boorishness have been reached. The man died and his family and many Canadians feel sorrow as a result... and some seize this opportunity to take political shots and to make ignorant comments. Unbelievable!!!!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Treblehook wrote:There are all too many posts in this thread that demonstrate [beyond any doubt] the fact that some people are absolutely without even a modicum of class. New depths in boorishness have been reached. The man died and his family and many Canadians feel sorrow as a result... and some seize this opportunity to take political shots and to make ignorant comments. Unbelievable!!!!

I agree completely.

There's a time when you lay personal bias aside, and this would be one of them.

You have to wonder, if they gave any thought to the fact that, the usernames have been noted, and their conduct here shall be remembered, and follow them elsewhere?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

As my post on the previous page shows, even politicians that disagree with pretty much everything the Conservatives stand for can put aside their partisanship to genuinely offer their sincere praise to a man who dedicated many years of his life to serving the public. It is sad that some people who go to great lengths to criticize politicians for being overly partisan display the ultimate level of partisanship that even politicians have not attained. And we think we we have the moral high ground.

- Douglas Murray
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Glacier wrote:As my post on the previous page shows, even politicians that disagree with pretty much everything the Conservatives stand for can put aside their partisanship to genuinely offer their sincere praise to a man who dedicated many years of his life to serving the public. It is sad that some people who go to great lengths to criticize politicians for being overly partisan display the ultimate level of partisanship that even politicians have not attained. And we think we we have the moral high ground.[/size]

Why would they, they are all feeding off the same gravy train. Like everyone else in society he is only doing his job, it just happens to be a government job that he is doing. He choose the job he wanted to do, yes it does come with criticism when you don't do the job right. Unfortunately this man did more wrong for Canada then right
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Glacier"]As my post on the previous page shows, even politicians that disagree with pretty much everything the Conservatives stand for can put aside their partisanship to genuinely offer their sincere praise to a man who dedicated many years of his life to serving the public. It is sad that some people who go to great lengths to criticize politicians for being overly partisan display the ultimate level of partisanship that even politicians have not attained. And we think we we have the moral high ground.

Dedicated?? How funny.The guy applied for the job and got paid big money and big expence account and would have (widow will) got a huge pension.. I don't follow people whom think flaherty was some kind of national hero. He was just a man doing a job that he fully wanted to do.Nothing less nothing more.I do not mourn for him as I never knew him nor thought he did a better job than the next guy does.In fact he did a couple of real bad things like unit trust changes(real bad)
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

kompili wrote:Unfortunately this man did more wrong for Canada then right

I'd agree with you if the people saying this weren't all people I have no respect for and think are delusional and brain-damaged. That's my problem. No one intelligent is saying this kind of thing, so therefore I give it no value.
Not afraid to say "It".
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

The important thing to remember when it comes to comparisons between the charmless Harper and the charming Flaherty is that their fundamental economic beliefs and the policies they supported were the same -- often immoral, destructive and elitist.

The families of all Canadians deserve the same certainty and security as Flaherty's family now has. People who work to keep them from having it ought not to be portrayed as heroes, especially by those of us who are not parliamentary insiders.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

kompili wrote:The important thing to remember when it comes to comparisons between the charmless Harper and the charming Flaherty is that their fundamental economic beliefs and the policies they supported were the same -- often immoral, destructive and elitist.

Which policies specifically do you find immoral, destructive and elitist?
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

canada is darn lucky to have the conservatives in power the last 6 o 7 years and not some pm from quebec.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Hassel99 wrote:

Which policies specifically do you find immoral, destructive and elitist?

When the banks were being bailed out, here is what Flaherty did, and said our banks didn't get bailed out. "Insured Mortgage Purchase Program," which was part of a $200 billion "Extraordinary Financing Framework" announced in response to the financial crisis. The Insured Mortgage Purchase Program enabled a crown corporation, the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), to buy a certain type of financial asset (securities composed of CMHC-insured mortgages). In return for the sale of these securities, banks got the cash they needed to withstand the financial crisis. At a time when liquid funds were disappearing from financial markets, banks' ability to convert mortgage securities into liquid cash was a pretty sweet deal.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ So in effect you'd have been much happier if the banks were left to fail. Please don't ever go into politics.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Notwithstanding the veracity of any of the claims criticizing Mr. Flaherty, it remains my contention [and I believe that of many others] that offering such remarks in this thread is classless. The memorial service for the man had not even been held yet for crying out loud. If Flaherty actually did things which [in your opinion] were not good for this country or it's economy, there were certainly things he did as the Minister of Finance that were good for the country. That being the case, it would appear that the criticisms being leveled in this thread are purely motivated by politics!! If that is the case, it sure is disgusting in my opinion.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^ So in effect you'd have been much happier if the banks were left to fail. Please don't ever go into politics.

What? You mean our superb better then the rest of the worlds banks simply survived due to a cash injection of taxpayer money?
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Treblehook wrote:Notwithstanding the veracity of any of the claims criticizing Mr. Flaherty, it remains my contention [and I believe that of many others] that offering such remarks in this thread is classless. The memorial service for the man had not even been held yet for crying out loud. If Flaherty actually did things which [in your opinion] were not good for this country or it's economy, there were certainly things he did as the Minister of Finance that were good for the country. That being the case, it would appear that the criticisms being leveled in this thread are purely motivated by politics!! If that is the case, it sure is disgusting in my opinion.

Why have pity over someone that doesn't deserve it just to be one of the crowd. It is not all abut politics, I didn't like the man and his tactics and sneaky dealings

Return to “Canada”