Canada Revenue Agency: Your information stolen

matai
Banned

Canada Revenue Agency: Your information stolen

Post by matai »

The Canada Revenue Agency says 900 Canadians have had their social insurance numbers stolen from its website because of the Heartbleed security bug.

The agency said early Monday it became aware of the breach while repairing the bug, and that the theft happened over a six-hour period.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/heartbl ... r&cmp=fbtl

Are you concerned?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Canada Revenue Agency: Your information stolen

Post by Bsuds »

I hope the thieves didn't get any more than that!
Am I worried, not much, pretty slim chance they got mine.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

matai wrote:Are you concerned?

Nope. Procrastination is my friend... haven't filed yet.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Yes, I'm very concerned, although I'm not sure what I can do about it. I read that the CRA is going to contact all affected taxpayers and offer to pay for credit monitoring. But I wonder why they don't also issue them a new SIN?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol you really think your info gets tossed every year? if you have filed in the past , your info could have been stolen
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Your info stolen by a 19 years old kid:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/heartbl ... -1.2612526

Wow. 19 years old!
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

were the numbers really stolen? it would seem then that if you are reading this, you are 'stealing' this, as mr. solis-reyes just viewed what was visible to him.

given that the 'government' was aware of the bug a full two years ago, and chose not to defend against it until now, and more precisely until right after mr. solis-reyes chose to look, it would seem that this young man was chosen by the rcmp and the so called 'government' to draw attention away from the spying and stealing they had been doing for at least the same last two years.

when these buffoons descibe this as a "breach of security" we can see the outright lie, there was no security in place, and thus no breach at all.

good luck mr. solis-reyes, with the so called 'federal government' and the rcmp dead set on destroying you, i somehow doubt you will come out of this unscathed or at all redeemed.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

According to one news story I heard this kid has a history of hacking into computers to prove to the owners of those computers that they need to beef up their security. It doesn't let him off the hook in this case, because what he did was still against the law, but having that kind of a motive ought to assure him a light sentence (maybe something such as community service). It's going to be interesting to see what sentence he is given, because anything stiffer than that would be a travesty of justice in my opinion.

The news story pointed out that there are 2 possible scenarios for what happened. Either the CRA knew nothing about the bug in time to prevent the kid hacking in (which ought to be a concern, because apparently there were Govt agencies who DID know and ought to have informed CRA in time to prevent what happened) OR the CRA DID know and didn't react in time to prevent this kid hacking in (which is equally a concern because it begs the question why they didn't act immediately upon being told about the problem).

So I hope the focus is not totally on this kid and what he did, because it sounds as though there are far more folks than him who need to be held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Canada”