Fuel up to $1.60?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Fuel up to $1.60?

Post by Bsuds »

driveangry wrote: lower speed limits on highways reduces fuel mileage and adds travel time.

Optimal speed is 55mph or 90kmh

http://www.mpgforspeed.com/
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

What I don't understand is how few gains we've seen in fuel economy over the last 20 years. Right out of university I bought a 1990 civic Si that got 42 mpg on average. That's some hwy and some city on the same tank. 24 years later and we get all lathered up about a car that gets 48mpg. And I can guarantee you my civic Si was more fun to drive than the 48 mpg fiat. It does make you wonder why fuel economy hasn't improved that much, surely there's motivation to do so. Isn't there??
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Poindexter wrote:What I don't understand is how few gains we've seen in fuel economy over the last 20 years. Right out of university I bought a 1990 civic Si that got 42 mpg on average. That's some hwy and some city on the same tank. 24 years later and we get all lathered up about a car that gets 48mpg. And I can guarantee you my civic Si was more fun to drive than the 48 mpg fiat. It does make you wonder why fuel economy hasn't improved that much, surely there's motivation to do so. Isn't there??

Back in the mid 90s - the German manufacturers set a goal of 3L/100km which they've achieved years ago - now they've set they're eyes on 1L/100km and with the VW XL1 its within grasp.

As I mentioned earlier - North America has been lagging behind but in the last 3-4 years we have finally been making a bit of progress
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Bsuds wrote:
Optimal speed is 55mph or 90kmh

http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

That isn't what I meant. With towns and city's building around highways instead of building service roads or bypass roads, the speed limit is lowered threw these areas.

That link isn't entirely correct, road conditions (mountain driving verses prairies), weather (cold air verses warm), vehicle type (gearing, weight, etc.) and many more other things factor in.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:By purchasing the more fuel efficient gas engine in the line up available to us? How do you figure I helped you prove your point?

You pointed to a small FIAT saying that while it was cozy, it was more than adequate for you and the Mrs. While we can't get *that* particular model of FIAT in this country, we can certainly purchase vehicles that have significantly better mileage than what you're currently driving. I'm not any better - my own vehicle gets the same mileage as yours. I have a crossover. I like the size and comfort. Hell, even my bike doesn't get the same mileage as a FIAT-500 or a Prius. On the other hand, I don't really care either.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

driveangry wrote:Fuel mileage is almost a moot point now a days. Roads and highways in BC are not designed for good fuel mileage and are getting worse every year. More and more controlled intersections, removal of passing areas and lower speed limits on highways reduces fuel mileage and adds travel time. The more you spend on fuel, the more tax dollars the government gets, the less you have.

With the extra time spent in your vehicle, you might as well get what is comfortable and pleasing to your eye.

Sorry but I never said that - rutland1 did - where as you replied that we get the 500 here as well - where as I pointed out with only 1 engine option - which again, is my point - we do not get the same MPG options here as in other parts of the world for the same car never mind cars that burn less fuel on the highway then ours do idling
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

driveangry wrote:With the extra time spent in your vehicle, you might as well get what is comfortable and pleasing to your eye.

Yup and taking out the old classic now and then with 400 HP under the hood makes 8 mpg on the highway an after thought as well lol.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Canada”