Fuel up to $1.60?

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Fuel up to $1.60?

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:@dizzy - ok, fun experiment time. What kind of vehicle are you driving?

Why, you gonna stalk me? LOL!

320i ...

Canada:
2.0L @ 9.0L/100km city and 5.5L/100km hwy

Europe:
1.6L @ 7.3L/100km city and 4.6L/100km hwy

So (if I did the math correctly) that equates to ...

Canada:
660km city
1090km hwy

Europe:
822km city
1304km hwy

... based on the 60L tank.

And just for the heck of it, the VW Polo TDI Bluemotion on the highway at 2.6L/100km with a 45L tank ... 1730km
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

And a bit off topic, but we can't get the 4Motion in the VW Golf here and the only Tiguan we can get with 4Motion is the 2.0 TSI with automatic vs. the 2.0 TDI with manual in Europe.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I just took a peek at the prices in my hometown over there ...

Regular €151.9 ($231.6)
Premium €159.9 ($243.8)
Diesel €136.9 ($208.7)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Fun to have big oil gouging again lol
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I hope the price at the pump skyrockets. It might keep the crazy buggers towing 5th wheels away from protesting and interfering in important oilsands projects.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Rwede wrote:I hope the price at the pump skyrockets.

I don't ... the higher it goes, the higher transportation costs go, the higher transportations go the higher grocery costs go ... and frankly its no fun to go shopping anymore.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Question for you Dizzy1. AM1150 used to have a program Sunday mornings called Driving or something like that. Host also has a website, motormouth.ca. He was discussing some of these points you have brought up regarding the difference in mileage between NA and European vehicles. At one point a caller asked him about a particular diesel vehicle. His reply on why it was not available here included a comment that the diesel fuel here is different than used there and this prevented many of the European diesel cars being available to import to NA. It has been a while since I listened to this and may of messed up some of my details. You seem to be well versed in this field, can you comment to this? Is the diesel fuel in Europe somehow different than ours?

Cheers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Steve-O wrote:Question for you Dizzy1. AM1150 used to have a program Sunday mornings called Driving or something like that. Host also has a website, motormouth.ca. He was discussing some of these points you have brought up regarding the difference in mileage between NA and European vehicles. At one point a caller asked him about a particular diesel vehicle. His reply on why it was not available here included a comment that the diesel fuel here is different than used there and this prevented many of the European diesel cars being available to import to NA. It has been a while since I listened to this and may of messed up some of my details. You seem to be well versed in this field, can you comment to this? Is the diesel fuel in Europe somehow different than ours?

Cheers.

That I can't answer, however I do know that a few years ago VW had quite an issue with our diesel here for a couple of years because it had a higher sulphur content compared to Europe but I do believe that has been remedied and we are now at the same par with Europe. IIRC, Europe went ULSD back in 05 and we did in 07.

One thing is that they're octane calculation is different for gasoline, we use the (R+M)2 while they use RON so our 87 Octance would be comparable to their 90

In all honesty, the Europeans are obsessed with MPG and have been striving to get lower and lower for the last 20 years, we seem to be quite a bit slower here, mainly because we've enjoyed low pump prices. Not only are the Euro cars becoming increasingly more efficient they're becoming more emission friendly as well.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:
320i ...

Canada:
2.0L @ 9.0L/100km city and 5.5L/100km hwy

Europe:
1.6L @ 7.3L/100km city and 4.6L/100km hwy

So (if I did the math correctly) that equates to ...

Canada:
660km city
1090km hwy

Europe:
822km city
1304km hwy

... based on the 60L tank.

And just for the heck of it, the VW Polo TDI Bluemotion on the highway at 2.6L/100km with a 45L tank ... 1730km

That's a bit of a haggard answer. From what I know about BMW's, there's a rather large range of vehicles over the years that have borne the 320i badge. The 1.6l variant would be the 316. I would point out that both models are available in north america, yet you've chosen the one with the larger engine that consumes more gas. The cars are made in germany with the same engines - therefore you'd get roughly the same mileage on the 316 (give or take depending on emissions controls). I also know that BMW is renowned for their diesel engines which get significantly better gas mileage - yet you've opted for a gasoline model.

That all said, there are even more fuel-efficient cars available, yet you've opted for a car that only gets an EPA-rated 31 mpg (imperial gallons, to be fair). I get why you've got the car you do, you probably enjoy driving it. My only point is that we have a plethora of fuel-efficient vehicles already available to us as drivers. We just don't care - we will continue to drive fuel-hungry vehicles because we like them. Auto manufacturers aren't going to waste their time trying to sell us stuff that we won't buy.
Last edited by 36Drew on Apr 24th, 2014, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Ack, my car is 13.8 l/100 city 11.2 l/100 highway... and calls for Premium :( Price of Luxury I suppose!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GoStumpy wrote:Ack, my car is 13.8 l/100 city 11.2 l/100 highway... and calls for Premium :( Price of Luxury I suppose!

Don't complain, that's twice as good as my truck! At least I only have to drive it when I'm towing.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:
That's a bit of a haggard answer. From what I know about BMW's, there's a rather large range of vehicles over the years that have borne the 320i badge. The 1.6l variant would be the 316. I would point out that both models are available in north america, yet you've chosen the one with the larger engine that consumes more gas. The cars are made in germany with the same engines - therefore you'd get roughly the same mileage on the 316 (give or take depending on emissions controls). I also know that BMW is renowned for their diesel engines which get significantly better gas mileage - yet you've opted for a gasoline model.

That all said, there are even more fuel-efficient cars available, yet you've opted for a car that only gets an EPA-rated 31 mpg (imperial gallons, to be fair). I get why you've got the car you do, you probably enjoy driving it. My only point is that we have a plethora of fuel-efficient vehicles already available to us as drivers. We just don't care - we will continue to drive fuel-hungry vehicles because we like them. Auto manufacturers aren't going to waste their time trying to sell us stuff that we won't buy.

We don't get the 316 nor 318 anymore - the reason I chose the vehicle I have is my own but the point I was trying to make is we more or less have one or two engine options - in the case of the the 320 gas or diesel - in Europe there alone are 2 gas options. VW offers even more options in performance and efficiency compared to the limited number we have.

As to my original statement - trying to compare the number of efficient vehicles and engine opyions we have here with those overseas is like comparing a steak with a hot dog ;)
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:We don't get the 316 nor 318 anymore - the reason I chose the vehicle I have is my own but the point I was trying to make is we more or less have one or two engine options - in the case of the the 320 gas or diesel - in Europe there alone are 2 gas options. VW offers even more options in performance and efficiency compared to the limited number we have.

Sort of. I'm staring at the BMW UK page right now. The 320i in the UK is still a 2.0l (or 1997cc) engine. They do list the 318 and the 316 series, but only with diesel engines. In fact, looking at the lineup, it remarkably similar to what we have here.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/3/saloon/2011/engines.html

Dizzy1 wrote:As to my original statement - trying to compare the number of efficient vehicles and engine opyions we have here with those overseas is like comparing a steak with a hot dog ;)

As to my original statement, we're in love with our cars with big engines. So far you've helped to prove that point.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:Sort of. I'm staring at the BMW UK page right now. The 320i in the UK is still a 2.0l (or 1997cc) engine. They do list the 318 and the 316 series, but only with diesel engines. In fact, looking at the lineup, it remarkably similar to what we have here.
Knock your socks off ...
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/3/saloon/2011/engines.html

http://www.bmw.de/vc/ncc/xhtml/start/st ... DEL_ENGINE

36Drew wrote:As to my original statement, we're in love with our cars with big engines. So far you've helped to prove that point.

By purchasing the more fuel efficient gas engine in the line up available to us? How do you figure I helped you prove your point?
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Fuel mileage is almost a moot point now a days. Roads and highways in BC are not designed for good fuel mileage and are getting worse every year. More and more controlled intersections, removal of passing areas and lower speed limits on highways reduces fuel mileage and adds travel time. The more you spend on fuel, the more tax dollars the government gets, the less you have.

With the extra time spent in your vehicle, you might as well get what is comfortable and pleasing to your eye.

Return to “Canada”