Farley Mowat dead at 92

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Farley Mowat dead at 92

Post by Glacier »

Beloved Canadian author and activist Farley Mowat has died. He was 92.

Born in Belleville, Ont., and raised in Saskatoon, Mowat became best known for telling stories set against the Canadian wilderness.

His most famous works included “The Dog Who Wouldn’t Be” from 1957, “Owls in the Family” from 1961 and “Never Cry Wolf” from 1963.

“Lost in the Barrens,” published in 1956, won the Governor General’s Award.

His books were translated into 52 languages and sold more than 17 million copies worldwide.

Mowat was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1981.

“Farley Mowat was a passionate Canadian and shaped a lot of my generation growing up with his books,” Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau told reporters on Parliament Hill upon hearing the news. “He will be missed.”
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Farley Mowat Dead at 92

Post by Lady tehMa »

:(
I haven't failed until I quit.
Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Farley Mowat dead at 92

Post by Steve-O »

Sad. I was just thinking of his books a week or so ago. I remember loving his books growing up and was considering if it was time to dig a few out and introduce him to my boys.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

for those of you unaware, for about half of his life, Farley was on the track of a certain 'hidden history' that certain entities would rather you not know about.

read Farley's 2000 publication, The Farfarers to learn more.

i am confident that Mr. Mowat was in possession of more knowledge and evidence than he let on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farfarers

one day this story will be shown to be more fact than fantasy, and come that day Farlet Mowat will finally be recognized for the anti establishment 'enlightener' that he was, and will continue to be so long as people take the time to read.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

Farley Mowat
Farley Mowat

The remarkable stories of the Second Word War seem to to fade away with the veterans who tell them, their numbers dwindling with each passing year.

One such story that endures involves a Canadian army captain who began to collect captured and abandoned German equipment that was later sent back to Canada for analysis and display in our museums. The captain in charge of this mission was part of the 1st Canadian Army Museum Collection Team.

His name was Farley Mowat.

In his 1992 autobiography, the late Canadian author of such classic books as Never Cry Wolf outlines his Second World War exploits. He tells how his team quickly assembled an impressive collection of German tanks, vehicles and assorted equipment, most of which can now be seen at the Canadian War Museum.

One piece of captured German technology was an advanced 12-ton liquid-fuelled rocket, the V2, or (“Vengeance Weapon 2″), technical name Aggregat-4 (A4).

It was the world’s first long-range ballistic missile, and the precursor to all modern rockets. Six thousand of them were built by German forces, half of them being fired onto Allied targets during the latter part of the Second World War.

follow the link for more pics, video and story.
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... azi-rocket
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Canada”