Ballistic Missile Defence?

Should Canada have a Ballistic Missile Defence System?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 7

baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Ballistic Missile Defence?

Post by baconbits »

Should we join the US and some other NATO countries and have a Ballistic Missile Defence System?

It’s an age-old debate in Canada, and it’s now being quietly re-visited.

For months, the senate committee on national security and defence has been studying the possibility of joining a NATO/U.S.-led ballistic missile defense program.

The last time Ottawa looked at the possibility, in 2005, they opted out, but sources say this time there could be a different outcome.

“You can just get a sense from the questioning that this is something that the government wants to consider,” said NDP defense critic Jack Harris.

READ MORE: PMO suggested Justice Marc Nadon resign, join Quebec bar: sources

Harris questioned the government on the issue during question period on Thursday, asking directly if the government will participate in the U.S. ballistic missile defence program.

Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Defence James Bezan responded by noting in the past Canada has declined to participate in ballistic missile defence programs.

“We’ll continue to monitor international developments and also continue to ensure both the safety and security of Canadians both at home and abroad,” Bezan said.

Bezan also noted House and Senate committees are studying the issue.

“We’ll have some collaboration and discussions and make a recommendation and report back to the House of Commons,” Bezan said.

So what has prompted another look at ballistic missile defense? With threats from North Korea, Iran and even Russia, proponents say it’s not impossible to imagine a scenario where a missile aimed for the U.S. instead ends up heading towards Canada.

“From a Canadian perspective, the threat has improved such that we are potentially vulnerable, particularly cities like Saskatoon, Edmonton – the cities closer to the border,” said former diplomat Colin Robertson.

Robertson says Canada currently has a seat at the table when allies talk about potential threats.

But, “when it actually comes time to make the decision to launch a missile, unlike the Europeans, Japanese, Australians – we have to leave the room,” Robertson said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1317519/ottaw ... istic-miss
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Ballistic Missile Defence?

Post by bob vernon »

Look...... there's a lot of money that can be made by scaring the bejabbers out of Canadians with the threat that we can't defend ourselves against the undefendible. We can get rid of social programs and reduce pensions and shift that money into buying satellites and weapons from big corporations and we can continue to reduce Canadian takehome wages by bringing in foreign workers. Or by buying the weapons internationally by telling Canadians that they aren't smart enough to build their own. There's a lot of money to be made by BigArms.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

There is also a lot to be worried about when it comes to labour indoctrinated paranoid conspiracy theorists as well. Anyone that does not pay union dues to provide pay cheques for the fatties at the negotiating table are out to screw you. Right? I would suggest you look at your union contributions over the life of your career and amortize what kind of pension that would have provided you
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I would gladly work one extra day per week for the rest of my life, and eat
nothing but Kraft Dinner and colored fruit flavoured sugary drinks for the rest of my life
and I hope Canada spends $150 billion on missile defenses, because one day - I guarantee - Kim
Jong Un of N Korea, and the Ayatolla of Iran will want to kill us all with their missiles which
they plan to build in the future, and when that day comes that our country which is mostly thousands
of miles of trees and wide open spaces - when that day comes when the evil regimes of this world try to bomb us -
we'll be glad we spent $billions on a missile defense.

Better to be safe than sorry. I would even gladly spend $5 trillion on it.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Canada”