Canada to add an 11th province - not

matai
Banned

Canada to add an 11th province - not

Post by matai »

Turk Islands in the West Indies are interested in becoming a Canadian province and there's currently a delegation in Ottawa. PM not interested though.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e18861331/

Would you like Canada to own land down south for the enjoyment of everyone like the US & Hawaii?
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Canada to add an 11th province - not

Post by Woodenhead »

Sure, why not.
Your bias suits you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

interesting idea,i think i like it????
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Works for me.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe we could make a swap.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

can we hide money there? if so yessss
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe we could make a swap.

You thinking what I'm thinking?

La Belle Province for somewhere warm and friendly?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Works for me. They wanna leave then let em go.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

if we do that, they would have there own country, and start winning all the olympic gold medals .for that reason alone i say no
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Big deal, once every 4 years. By that time they'll be broke and crying to come back.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I say we already have our share of Free Loaders, why do we need more? Also we have Quebec's debt load we try to offset now what a island too...

Not for me thanks!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The population of the Turks and Caicos in only 30,000. About the size of Penticton. With increased tourism from Canada there would be very few of the people who'd be a drag on your bank account.

The biggest problem would be this: Turks and Caicos couldn't realistically come into Canada as a province. Recalling just what the Government of Canada is, it is a creation of the provinces. In 1864 to 1867, the founding 4 provinces decided that it would be more efficient if some of their functions could be done collectively. Like defense, customs and immigration, postage, and foreign affairs and so on. The Government of Canada is a creation of the provinces and they hold ALL the cards in any amendments to the constitution, including the Senate. Would you want to grant the Turks and Caicos this power? Stephen Harper has taken a couple of runs at amending the Constitution all by himself recently when he tried to amend the Senate's roll and then when he appointed an unqualified candidate to the Supreme Court. The power lies with the provinces, but Harper has refused to meet them as a group. He only meets provincial premiers individually never as a group. He's the first Prime Minister to refuse to meet them collectively, revealing something about him and the way he does the nation's business. Any inclusion of the Turks and Caicos into Canada would require a full constitutional meeting, where the premiers might bring up, horrors of horrors, the Senate and Supreme Court amendments and other issues.

The most likely acceptable way for them to come into Canada is if these islands became part of a province, like Nova Scotia for example.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Turks and Caicos have been wanting to join Canada for over a decade now. I can see them joining as a territory, but not a province.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Yes lets get this going. I move there.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

the truth wrote:if we do that, they would have there own country, and start winning all the olympic gold medals .for that reason alone i say no

Haha, without us they wouldn't even be able to afford the plane tickets to the Olympics, so I'm not too worried about that.

Other countries have interests in remote locations, hence I see no issue with Canada owning a spot in the Caribbean, much less so even when the party is courting us, unlike a certain neighbour who just takes what they want, such as islands for nuclear testing.

Return to “Canada”