Tax dollars at work - this has to be stop

Ts100

Tax dollars at work - this has to be stop

Post by Ts100 »

The Canadian Tax Federation is saying that this is what our taxes are being used for...
The Champlain Bridge in Montreal has seen better days. Opened in 1962, it’s in need of replacement. Oddly, the federal government built and continues to own this local bridge. The Harper government has generously offered to build a $5 billion replacement bridge, which would be financed, over time, through tolls (just as the original bridge was until 1990).

However, Quebec’s top politicians (Premier Couillard, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre, NDP leader Thomas Mulcair and Liberal leader Justin Trudeau) are all fighting against the tolls. They want Canadian taxpayers to foot the $5 billion bill as a gift to Quebec and Montreal.

Elsewhere in Canada, cities and provinces pay for local bridges. The $3.5 billion Port Mann Bridge in metro Vancouver, the world’s widest bridge, was completed in 2012 with no federal taxpayer money, and is financed entirely by tolls. The $1 billion Golden Ears Bridge, completed in 2009, is also financed entirely by tolls paid by Vancouver motorists.

It’s unclear why the federal government is willing to build a local bridge in Montreal in the first place, but if Quebec politicians get their way, it will be completely financed by taxpayers all across the country.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper needs to hear from Canadians who think local bridges should be built by provinces and cities, not the feds. Further, if the feds are going to build a new Champlain Bridge, it had darn well better have tolls to recoup the costs.
wanderingman
Übergod

Re: Tax dollars at work...this has to be stop

Post by wanderingman »

The Champlain Bridge in Montreal has seen better days. Opened in 1962, it’s in need of replacement. Oddly, the federal government built and continues to own this local bridge. The Harper government has generously offered to build a $5 billion replacement bridge, which would be financed, over time, through tolls (just as the original bridge was until 1990).

However, Quebec’s top politicians (Premier Couillard, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre, NDP leader Thomas Mulcair and Liberal leader Justin Trudeau) are all fighting against the tolls. They want Canadian taxpayers to foot the $5 billion bill as a gift to Quebec and Montreal.

Elsewhere in Canada, cities and provinces pay for local bridges. The $3.5 billion Port Mann Bridge in metro Vancouver, the world’s widest bridge, was completed in 2012 with no federal taxpayer money, and is financed entirely by tolls. The $1 billion Golden Ears Bridge, completed in 2009, is also financed entirely by tolls paid by Vancouver motorists.

It’s unclear why the federal government is willing to build a local bridge in Montreal in the first place, but if Quebec politicians get their way, it will be completely financed by taxpayers all across the country.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper needs to hear from Canadians who think local bridges should be built by provinces and cities, not the feds. Further, if the feds are going to build a new Champlain Bridge, it had darn well better have tolls to recoup the costs.

It just goes to show one the arrogance and corruption of federal government and Quebec .Exactly why would they actually entertain spending 5 billion dollars of our tax money for a bridge in montreal. especially when BC never received a penny for same projects.one can only assume its to gather votes and to suck up to the French population of canada
rookie314
Übergod

Re: Tax dollars at work - this has to be stop

Post by rookie314 »

Harper won the last election without Quebec. The only ones who benefited from Quebec were the NDP. The Paradigm shift has begun.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The bridge will be paid for by tolls. Harper is making the correct choice by having the users pay back the cost the bridge loan, unlike Trudeau and Mulcair who want to give Quebec a $5 billion freebie.

You leftist Mulcair and Trudeau lovers better have a good reason why you're supporting a freebie for Quebec yet bash Harper for wanting the Quebec bridge users to pay for it.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Frankly when you add up all the different taxes we pay (income tax, vehicle license fees, gas tax, sales tax, tire tax, etc. etc.) I don't think ANY public road or bridge should be tolled (either here or wherever it may be). The various levels of government should use our tax dollars to pay for essentials (such as roads and bridges) first, and then, and only then, spend on the various "wants" that everyone has.

Sadly, these days, governments often do it the other way round, and spend our hard earned tax dollars on their various "pet" projects, and then demand "user fees" for what are really essential services. ALL levels of government do this, and it ought to stop.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Merry wrote:Frankly when you add up all the different taxes we pay (income tax, vehicle license fees, gas tax, sales tax, tire tax, etc. etc.) I don't think ANY public road or bridge should be tolled (either here or wherever it may be). The various levels of government should use our tax dollars to pay for essentials (such as roads and bridges) first, and then, and only then, spend on the various "wants" that everyone has.

Sadly, these days, governments often do it the other way round, and spend our hard earned tax dollars on their various "pet" projects, and then demand "user fees" for what are really essential services. ALL levels of government do this, and it ought to stop.

and now to top it off that AH Harper wants to give 3.5 billion to poor of the world? what about the poor in Canada and all the failing infrastructures,need for schooling,our medical system ???this guy is crazy and needs to be put down
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

wanderingman wrote:and now to top it off that AH Harper wants to give 3.5 billion to poor of the world? what about the poor in Canada and all the failing infrastructures,need for schooling,our medical system ???this guy is crazy and needs to be put down

I find people who wish death on other people to be the crazy ones.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Champlain bridge is a federal bridge .. not local or provincial.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Champlain bridge is a federal bridge .. not local or provincial.

What makes a bridge Federal?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

put harper down now before he ruins this country
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:"SmokeOnTheWater : Champlain bridge is a federal bridge .. not local or provincial."

What makes a bridge Federal?

It's a bridge on the Federal Highway, the Trans Canada Highway..... Oh, wait a minute,,,, isn't the new Port Mann Bridge on the Trans Canada Highway ?

If Thomas Mulcair has his way, he'll buy the next election with promising no tolls on the Champlain Bridge to the Montrealer's

Here's an interesting blog on the subject : http://harveyoberfeld.ca/blog/media-fin ... duplicity/

Am I the only one who's having a problem with Canadian politics ? I hate Harper, don't like or trust Mulcair, Trudoedoe would need a map to get out of a phone booth. Provincially, I hate the Liberals, and don't like or trust or respect the NDP, that pretty much sums it up.

I'm serious, without much trouble at all, anyone with half a brain could easily justify not voting for anyone.

Is it responsible to vote for the "least un-trustworthy" ? I have a rule, "if you don't vote, you can't *bleep*", so I gotta vote.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

I know in B.C. if a road goes to a ski hill it will be upgraded and there are no tolls. The Highway of Death is a prime example, maybe there is a ski hill near the bridge?

Return to “Canada”