Canada, a bilingual country?

matai
Banned

Canada, a bilingual country?

Post by matai »

Canada is a bilingual country, officially, at least.

What surprises me is that commercial radios outside Quebec NEVER EVER play any French Canadian music, even though the French represents 25% of the population.

In Quebec, radios are under obligation to play a certain percentage of French music, it's a CRTC regulation, otherwise, they get their broadcast licenses revoked.

Do you think Canadians would be more open and less racist towards the French culture if their radio were playing some French hits once in a while instead of 10x a day the same (sometimes) boring English song?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: Canada, a bilingual country?

Post by sobrohusfat »

No - they'd just turn the dial.

There's already a french station
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

As an example, NRJ ("Energy") Montreal:

http://montreal.radionrj.ca/

You will notice their website looks EXACTLY like SunFM. Of course, it's the same company.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Racist? Seriously?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Canadians might be more "open" as you put it, if Quebecers showed a little less disdain for all things English, considering they are part of a bilingual country.

As it stands it's more a case of what goes around comes around.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Dizzy1 wrote:Racist? Seriously?

No, I'm just kidding, not.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Canadians might be more "open" as you put it, if Quebecers showed a little less disdain for all things English, considering they are part of a bilingual country.

As it stands it's more a case of what goes around comes around.

Bingo.

Mind you I wouldn't mind if they played a bit Alizee :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Here you go Matai:

Fill your boots!

(see what i did there?...boots...bottine.......fill 'em)
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Celine Dion, My Heart Will Go On, I think we have another ten years to go before we drop below 10% Quebec acts on english radio.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What's good music from Quebec?

I like French Zaz. Anybody similar to her in Quebec?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

Canada’s linguistic diversity extends beyond the two official languages. "In Canada, 4.7 million people (14.2% of the population) reported speaking a language other than English or French most often at home and 1.9 million people (5.8%) reported speaking such a language on a regular basis as a second language (in addition to their main home language, English or French). In all, 20.0% of Canada's population reported speaking a language other than English or French at home. For roughly 6.4 million people, the other language was an immigrant language, spoken most often or on a regular basis at home, alone or together with English or French whereas for more than 213,000 people, the other language was an Aboriginal language. Finally, the number of people reporting sign languages as the languages spoken at home was nearly 25,000 people (15,000 most often and 9,800 on a regular basis)."[nb 2]

Other languages are used by +/- 20% of the people and French by not a whole lot more (22%+/-) according to stats. May be "officially" a bilingual country, but it may just be a multi lingual country un officially, with English leading.
Last edited by Xia33 on Jun 23rd, 2014, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jun 23rd, 2014, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

keeping the french music in quebec is a good thing.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

matai wrote:Canada is a bilingual country, officially, at least.

What surprises me is that commercial radios outside Quebec NEVER EVER play any French Canadian music, even though the French represents 25% of the population.

In Quebec, radios are under obligation to play a certain percentage of French music, it's a CRTC regulation, otherwise, they get their broadcast licenses revoked.

Do you think Canadians would be more open and less racist towards the French culture if their radio were playing some French hits once in a while instead of 10x a day the same (sometimes) boring English song?

Actually the number is closer to 22% including Quebec.

There are two varieties of French in Canada: Acadian and French-Canadian, so which are you refering to?

Québecers whose mother-tongue is French comprise 82% of the local population, thus being a linguistic majority in the province. But outside Québec, it is indeed a minority language, with 33.9% of the population speaking an Acadian variety of French, 4.4% in Manitoba, 4.1% in Ontario, and less than 2% in other provinces (Chevrier, 1997).

A full 95% of French speakers in Canada live in Québec, and just 5% in other parts of the country, and one concern is that this figure will decrease as these Francophones become assimilated into English Canada

With only %5 of the 22% of french speaking Canadians and the majority of those in Ontario, our english radio stations reflect the language of their communities. In French communities I am sure it the radio stations place 100% french as a relection of their population.

I don't see this as rasism. It is a reflection of the majority of people in the community. As an advertiser I want to hit the majority of customers and not the minority.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Only province not bilingual is Quebec, lol

Return to “Canada”