RCMP expected to announce charges against Mike Duffy

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: RCMP expected to announce charges against Mike Duffy

Post by Donald G »

One has to wonder how and why Mr Duffy was able to run up so many offences before being investigated. It would seem to me that a checks and balances system must have been (or be) missing from the Senate. Why?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

When you look at all the other investigations that have also proven problems there can be no doubt the checks and balances were/are missing. I get the feeling it is a problem throughout government, federal and provincial.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

too difficult to describe. coverup. absolute power, absolute corruption. the 'government' are criminals, the lawyers they employ are criminals. they play, we pay.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/ ... ht-affair/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

The senate is like all of whom speed but have never got a ticket.He got caught and so did that fat little pig wahlin.There are tons of other senaters whom have quit over issues before charged and theres ones whom simply have not got caught yet
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The police laying charges is sometimes only the first step in a long dragged out process engineered by Duffy's lawyer. My guess is that the next step will be several years of playing the "too ill to properly instruct his lawyer or appear in court" card.

Given the leeway that defence lawyers now have to use theoretical and technical reasons to avoid justice, I expect that the suspended and disgraced Senator will be dead long before he is ever convicted and sentenced.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i think mr duffy should be charged but way to start fixing is elections for senators to be elected
Last edited by maryjane48 on Nov 6th, 2014, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

But changing the way Senators are selected would require a Constitutional amendment. The Federal government can't do that alone. Only the provinces can, because as we all know.... or should know..... is that the Federal government is a creation of the provinces. Charlottetown 1864 and all that, where NB, NS, Upper Canada, and Lower Canada decided that they could do some things together and they created the Federal government. PEI saw it was a good idea and joined after the conference.

But, I digress. There will be no amendment to the Constitution of Canada with Harper as PM. He has never met the Premiers collectively. Fear of being shown up and not getting his way. Steve doesn't handle failure well. Only ever one Premier at a time, as a divider would do. A meeting with the Premiers would mean Steve would have to lead them to a consensus to achieve an amendment. Steve's not a consensus kinda guy.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Q. Why do you think PE Trudeau buried the rewritten and reinterpreted Canadian Bill of Rights in the Constitution?

A. So that it would be next to impossible to change and continue to afford lawyers access to an all but unlimited number of billable hours and, in the process, allow any number of theoretical or technical defences that enable otherwise proven guilty criminals to go unpunished.

A classic example of the road to hell being paved with good (?) intentions.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

another example of another PIG at the Feeder.when one reads this story its really amazing to try and understand how this scumbag was able to hide $700K in personal spending for 10 years like where are the auditors etc
who actually approves and pays for this crap?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/newsalert-ex- ... src=rogers
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

wanderingman wrote:another example of another PIG at the Feeder.when one reads this story its really amazing to try and understand how this scumbag was able to hide $700K in personal spending for 10 years like where are the auditors etc
who actually approves and pays for this crap?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/newsalert-ex- ... src=rogers

exactly should be jail time granny gone wild

Return to “Canada”