RCMP expected to announce charges against Mike Duffy

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

RCMP expected to announce charges against Mike Duffy

Post by oneh2obabe »

Will be an interesting news conference.

The RCMP is expected to announce criminal charges against suspended senator Mike Duffy at a news conference Thursday morning.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Re: RCMP expected to announce charges against Mike Duffy

Post by oneh2obabe »

Will be interesting to hear what his lawyer will say. According to him, Duffy will be exonerated of all charges.

RCMP lay 31 criminal charges against Senator Mike Duffy
Charges include an alleged bribery attempt in connection with the $90,000 cheque Duffy received from a former official in Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s office.

Tonda MacCharles Ottawa Bureau reporter
Bruce Campion-Smith Ottawa Bureau
Les Whittington Ottawa Bureau reporter
Published on Thu Jul 17 2014

OTTAWA—The RCMP have charged Sen. Mike Duffy with 31 counts of fraud, breach of trust and bribery in connection with the senator’s alleged misuse of taxpayers’ funds.

The charges, which came after months of investigation arising from the Senate spending scandal, were announced by Assistant RCMP Commissioner Gilles Michaud at a news conference in Ottawa on Thursday.

In an unexpected development, the RCMP charged Duffy with fraud, breach of trust and bribery of a judicial officer in connection with the $90,000 cheque that Nigel Wright, the former chief of staff in Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s office, wrote for Duffy to pay the senator’s questionable expense claims.

Full article
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014 ... _loom.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

hopefully he calls harper to testify lol , could be interesting questions asked
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

oneh2obabe wrote:Will be interesting to hear what his lawyer will say. According to him, Duffy will be exonerated of all charges.

A senior RCMP white-collar crime investigator interviewed on the news tonight did say that's what any defense lawyer would say at this point in a case like this. That sounds about right. This investigator also went on to say that charges of such magnitude for such a high profile case would not have been approved without compelling evidence. That also sounds right.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^I know. In a case of this magnitude you can bet they dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's before proceeding.

Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

With Duffy charged with receiving but Wright not charged with giving a bribe, possibly a plea bargaining strategy? Duffy had criminal intent and Wright did not? Sounds like a tough sell to the public.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Midnite wrote:With Duffy charged with receiving but Wright not charged with giving a bribe, possibly a plea bargaining strategy? Duffy had criminal intent and Wright did not? Sounds like a tough sell to the public.

Why would it be a tough sell? Duffy is the one who blatantly lied about his living arrangements, in order to profit financially, whereas all the other guy was trying to do, was replace taxpayer funds that Duffy had fraudulently helped himself to. Granted no doubt in a misguided effort to spare the party some embarrassment, but still.......
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

lakevixen wrote:hopefully he calls harper to testify lol , could be interesting questions asked

I doubt that will happen. Although Duffy wants to get the ball rolling as fast as possible, I imagine the timing will be such as to not effect the next election. I'd be amazed if things moved quicker
Wright made it clear in emails that the transaction was not to be made public (which suggest he knew this wasn't above board) and also the Prime Minister cleared it,certainly those dots aren't hard to join.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Why would it be a tough sell? Duffy is the one who blatantly lied about his living arrangements, in order to profit financially, whereas all the other guy was trying to do, was replace taxpayer funds that Duffy had fraudulently helped himself to. Granted no doubt in a misguided effort to spare the party some embarrassment, but still.......

We know in your mind "the party can do no wrong" but to an impartial court, it may not be quite so black and white once the defense has presented it's case. Could be interesting and embarrassing for some.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

My oh my talk about assumptions.

Just because I see Duffy as a criminal and the other fellow as someone who seemed to be trying to rectify a wrong and save party face, hardly means I'm one of the party faithful.

You recall what they say about making assumptions I hope.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

I wouldn't call it an assumption as you must realize your posts do tend to toe the party line.
I am not saying Duffy is innocent but we should remember he was appointed by the PMO essentially to be a fundraiser. This may cause more discomfort for the PMO than is being publicly stated. Naturally both sides put on a brave face but who do you think has more to lose? With 31 charges, dropping some would not be unreasonable.
Should be interesting but no doubt will drag out far too long.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

This is bad news for Harper right in an election year. I love it.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

The truth has to come out. Let the cards fall where they may. If Harper was not involved he has nothing to worry about. If Duffy is guilty I hope they throw all the books at him. These politicians have to learn they are not above the law. It is time they get in trouble, big trouble, for what they are doing.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Wow it never ends for poor Mike. Now he has a possible illegitimate daughter after him. Mike's health could get a lot worse in the near future.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1469659/mike- ... te-matter/
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Awww... poor Duffy, and it is all his own doing!!!! I feel no pity for the man at all.

Return to “Canada”