Why shouldn't we look for Nathan O'Brien?

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Why shouldn't we look for Nathan O'Brien?

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

now that the police have Douglas Garland in custody, the man they claim is responsible for the disappearances of five-year-old Calgary boy Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, why are they telling us we should not be looking for the missing?

Police urge against civilian searches of Airdrie fields for clues in triple murder

Police are RCMP are applauding the intentions of civilian searchers who were due to comb Airdrie fields for a second night Tuesday for clues in an ongoing triple-murder investigation, but warn their efforts could actually harm potential evidence.

It’s believed 250 people showed up Monday evening for a grid search in the Airdrie area for clues on the disappearance and alleged murders of five-year-old Calgary boy Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes.

Murder charges have been laid in connection with the believed deaths of all three, but police say they’ve yet to recover bodies.

Airdrie search organizers had indicated on a Facebook page they intended to pick up scouring efforts again Tuesday evening.

But Kevin Brookwell, Calgary police spokesperson, said investigators would prefer residents only check their own properties for irregularities. He praised the “amazing” effort to aid victims’ families but said volunteers are essentially searching “blind.”

“We know what we’re looking for,” Brookwell said. “There are certain pieces to this file — certain pieces of evidence — that we specifically are looking for, and we have a pretty good idea where those items may be . . . this is the kind of information we can’t share.”

Calgary mother of three Aimee Forseth, a lead organizer of the searches, was among those heeding Brookwell’s warning, but she said some precautions had been taken. Search participants, for example, were told to leave cellphones, cameras and recording devices at home unless they were in a “team leader” role. In the event potential evidence was discovered, volunteers were urged to stop immediately and work through organizers to contact police.

But Brookwell said such efforts could actually hamstring police operations when officers’ time could be better spent elsewhere. He said rural property owners should still check their own land for irregularities, but avoid traipsing through areas they aren’t familiar with.

Forseth also conceded some participants may not follow the rules, but she added, “We’re all just trying to come together and do the right thing, what we feel is the right thing.”

Close family members of the victims have said they would need to be presented with undeniable proof that their loved ones are dead before giving up hope of them returning home.

“I know the cops don’t seem to think (that Nathan and the Likneses are alive) . . . but I know that my mom was really strong, my parents were really strong, Nathan was so strong,” said Jeff Liknes, son of Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, late Tuesday. “There was so much energy and so much life in him. If anyone’s going to make it through this, it’s going be them.”

Forseth said she intended to continue searching until the families have closure.

“I personally refuse to give up,” she said. “I just won’t give up.”

But Airdrie RCMP Const. Jason Curtis said he worried about the proliferation of information in the event something substantial was discovered by volunteers.

“Nobody wants to find out the ultimate fate of their loved one on Twitter,” Curtis said, later adding, “It’s definitely preferred that they leave the investigation to the police.”

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/109846 ... stigation/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: why shouldn't we look for Nathan O'Brien?

this is getting very weird. cbc makes some bizarre and unsubstantiated claims with regard to unidentified "organizers" in this story of the civilian search allegedly being "called off".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/n ... -1.2708571

what are the police and media trying to hide from us? why should we not be looking to potentially save these missing people?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:now that the police have Douglas Garland in custody, the man they claim is responsible for the disappearances of five-year-old Calgary boy Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, why are they telling us we should not be looking for the missing?

The answer was in the article you posted ... Police are RCMP are applauding the intentions of civilian searchers who were due to comb Airdrie fields for a second night Tuesday for clues in an ongoing triple-murder investigation, but warn their efforts could actually harm potential evidence.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:this is getting very weird. cbc makes some bizarre and unsubstantiated claims with regard to unidentified "organizers" in this story of the civilian search allegedly being "called off".

Once again the answer is in the article you posted.

Did you read the article? First few paragraphs explain it and from the sounds of it, it hasn't been called off. People are still combing the area even though they could destroy/harm potential evidence.

A civilian search effort in Airdrie to help find clues in the suspected killings of Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, has been called off because of what organizers are saying is negative online backlash.

Searchers had been preparing to head out for their second effort since beginning yesterday but now say those plans will not be going ahead.

The Facebook page for the civilian search has now been taken down and organizers say the whole effort just got too big, too fast.

Organizers said they were being targeted online by people questioning their motives for searching and alleging that they were interfering with the police investigation.

However, while the official civilian search has been called off, few people who had shown up to take part left after the announcement and most were heading out to do their own unofficial search.

Dozens have divided themselves into groups and will be combing through nearby fields.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

oneh2obabe, what if they are alive? we should just wait for the overtime hungry cops to find the carcasses at their leisure? i think finding living people trumps preservation of potential evidence.

who are the "organizers"? of this "official" civilian search? what makes it "official"? you claim the answers are there, but i cannot see them. please clarify.
T.Tsarnaev
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:oneh2obabe, what if they are alive? we should just wait for the overtime hungry cops to find the carcasses at their leisure? i think finding living people trumps preservation of potential evidence.
If they were alive I doubt very much the police would have laid murder charges. They did say a "violent incident" occurred at the home of the grandparents and DNA was collected.

who are the "organizers"? of this "official" civilian search? what makes it "offici al"? you claim the answers are there, but i cannot see them. please clarify.
Calgary mother of three Aimee Forseth, a lead organizer of the searches. It doesn't make it "official" but what the hell, better to let the public think they have the go-ahead to call it that.

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

the rcmp lie all the time. until there are bodies, no one can be sure they are dead.

the mother says she believes nathan may still be alive.

the rcmp are ridiculously inept when it comes to finding people, we know this. think the greenway rapist, mindy tran, hundreds of native women, and the list goes on so very long.

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jul 17th, 2014, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate speculation
T.Tsarnaev
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

*removed* give the cops some credit for getting their man in a case that is very complex.
Last edited by Merry on Jul 17th, 2014, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jul 17th, 2014, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
T.Tsarnaev
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by Merry on Jul 17th, 2014, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

So you think having everyone in Airdrie pounding through potential crime scenes, destroying evidence is the way to go? Pronouncing these poor people dead would not have been done lightly. Pull your head out of your rear end and stop fabricating insane conspiracies.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

what i think is, that if any or all of the three missing people are alive, as many people as possible/willing should be looking for them as that would increase the likelihood and quickness of finding them, alive.

if they are alive and confined, then the suspect they are holding is innocent of the current charges of murder. i wonder though that if they should die wherever they may be confined, since the suspect has been taken into custody, will then the police be found guilty of causing their death(s)?

if the police are sure beyond a shadow of doubt that all three are dead, why would they not tell the parents? i cannot imagine how it would be possible for them to be that sure though.
T.Tsarnaev
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

5 gallons of blood on the floor from the victims means certain death. The parents know this.

Blaming the cops for everything, and your hinting of the innocence of the scuzzbag that was charged is incomprehensible, and frankly, offensive.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Gone_Fishin wrote:*removed* give the cops some credit for getting their man in a case that is very complex.

The man has been convicted of murder already? - before the trial and without actual bodies or a murder weapon?
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why shouldn't we look for Nathan O'Brien?

Post by Rwede »

He did it. So, he's no more or less guilty now than he will be after an expensive trial.

I know some of you cop-haters want to coddle murderers just because the cops took your bag of dope away once, but not me. It's laughable (almost) how your worship of your drug causes such impairment of your common sense.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”