Why shouldn't we look for Nathan O'Brien?

Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: why shouldn't we look for Nathan O'Brien?

Post by Gilchy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:what i think is, that if any or all of the three missing people are alive, as many people as possible/willing should be looking for them as that would increase the likelihood and quickness of finding them, alive.

if they are alive and confined, then the suspect they are holding is innocent of the current charges of murder. i wonder though that if they should die wherever they may be confined, since the suspect has been taken into custody, will then the police be found guilty of causing their death(s)?

if the police are sure beyond a shadow of doubt that all three are dead, why would they not tell the parents? i cannot imagine how it would be possible for them to be that sure though.

If the suspect they are holding had all three captive and confined somewhere, I think he would likely tell the police that, so as to, you know, make the murder charges go away. Better to be convicted of kidnapping than murder. His silence likely indicates that he had nothing to do with it at all, or that they are tragically dead.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Why shouldn't we look for Nathan O'Brien?

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i hold no illusion that garland is innocent of some crime, but to say murder times 3, i am baffled as to how that could be proven.

it would be good of you to back up your claim of 'gallons' of blood. i am unaware of any images or descriptions of the same.

garland's reported obsession with the 'zombie' theme is curious, i would be interested to know exactly how far that goes.

while "getting their man" would be a good thing if true, i am very concerned in this immediate time with finding the missing, preferably alive.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/16/calgarys-police-chief-certain-nathan-obrien-alvin-and-kathryn-liknes-were-murdered

The family can cling to hope, and Calgary’s Chief of Police certainly doesn’t blame them.

But as one of the few people who’s actually viewed the forensic evidence tying accused triple killer Douglas Garland to the disappearance of three Calgarians, Chief Rick Hanson says he has absolutely no doubt.

“They are dead,” he says, matter-of-factly.

Calgary’s top cop gives absolutely no wiggle room for “maybe” or “what if” in the murder of five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes.

I do fear that without bodies they will have trouble making the charges stick but let's look at this sanely.

They would not make these charges lightly do you honestly believe that they would destroy a families hope on a whim? or out of some sort of laziness to follow the case through? They have more information then we do and contrary to your sense of self importance, you do not have to be privy to it, that is what a trial is for.

I hope that they can find the bodies to not only give the family closure but really plant the nails firmly in the dirtbags coffin that did this.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

They have more information then we do and contrary to your sense of self importance, you do not have to be privy to it, that is what a trial is for.

I hope that they can find the bodies to not only give the family closure but really plant the nails firmly in the dirtbags coffin that did this.

are you suggesting the police know where the missing are but not revealing this?

are you 'hoping' the missing are dead and not alive?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2014, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic/personal attack
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:
are you suggesting the police know where the missing are but not revealing this?

are you 'hoping' the missing are dead and not alive?

I'm going to leave you to argue with the voices in your head.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

When I heard the report say that they haven't found bodies but know for a fact that they were dead my first thought was that they found just the heads of these poor people. Call me crazy, that's just how my mind works. I'd say that would be pretty conclusive.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote: ..., but to say murder times 3, i am baffled as to how that could be proven.

I have no trouble believing that. That you could be baffled I mean.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:now that the police have Douglas Garland in custody, the man they claim is responsible for the disappearances of five-year-old Calgary boy Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, why are they telling us we should not be looking for the missing?

Because they know more about it than you do.

Key details of crimes are often, even usually, kept private as it is key to helping investigators rule out nut jobs when they claim they know who did it. It also helps when they find an good suspect as they can interrogate and find out if the suspect knows unreleased details.

In short, some of that info is on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know, acknowledge and move on. ( I doubt you will, you seem to feel entitled to the info somehow, but actually it's none of your business)
On a different forum
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

"need to know"?

nathan's mother doesn't need to know? that is not right.
T.Tsarnaev
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Daspoot wrote: Key details of crimes are often, even usually, kept private as it is key to helping investigators rule out nut jobs when they claim they know who did it. It also helps when they find an good suspect as they can interrogate and find out if the suspect knows unreleased details.

In addition, charges of murder are not lightly approved by Crown. RCMP investigators not only had to be convinced themselves that this is a case of murder, but also had to convince Crown Counsel they had enough evidence to convict. It would not be the first time someone was convicted of murder without a body, or even a clear motive. I suspect we will become more familiar with the evidence as the matter proceeds through the Courts. I can imagine the accusations of fabrication already, because of course, all these investigators (all with their own families) wanted to do was be seen as solving the case.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote: nathan's mother doesn't need to know? that is not right.

You have no idea or clue what Nathan's mother has already been told by police.
I'm just relieved she doesn't have to read your insensitive, attention-seeking tripe.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

son of the missing, brother in law to the accused, suggests the missing may still be alive. nathan's mother still hopes he is alive. that is enough for me to believe every effort should be put into the search.

The son of Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, whom police allege were murdered, is urging Calgarians to keep praying they will turn up alive.

“Don’t give up hope,” Jeff Liknes said Tuesday evening during a gathering with family and friends to release green balloons as a symbol of hope that his parents and their grandson Nathan O’Brien would be found safe and sound.

“The moment you stop thinking about it, that’s the moment everyone’s given up,” Jeff said. “I still hope to see them someday.”

His comments were similar to those from Jen O’Brien, mother of presumed murder victim Nathan O’Brien, earlier in the day.

Jen told Metro that police haven’t shared with her the evidence they say gives them confidence that none of the trio, first reported missing June 29, is alive.

“They won’t tell us, but we do know that it’s not time for us to lose hope,” Jen said. “I can’t and I won’t, until we know for sure.”

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/109704 ... come-home/
T.Tsarnaev
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Perhaps the police know something you don't. Something they aren't letting anyone know at this point. Such as that the bodies were disposed of in a way that renders them unrecoverable.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

i hear you, and i have been thinking along those lines from the beginning, with that psycho in ontario in mind, cremating his victims. but then i think, they would let the parents know what they believe/suspect. it does not seem there is any possibility the parents are in any way culpable.

knowing what i do about the area, i have spent quite a bit of time in airdrie, and seeing the property and equipment of the accused, i can't help thinking there is a real possibility one, two or all three of the missing may be being confined in an underground 'cellar' or similar 'structure'.

whether garland acted alone or not, i can imagine all too clearly that the sort of sicko that would perpetrate such a crime might kill two and keep one.

the rcmp say they have a '30 day search plan', and that leaves the possibility that even if they get to the right place, they may do so too late.

i would think the police could define a lower probability area or areas that civilian volunteers could be put to use.

i feel the concerns and needs of the community are not being met, not allowing people to help. i know very well there are people that are willing to give their all to help find a survivor while the possibility reasonably exists time wise.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Canada”