Smart Meter Safety

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Smart Meter Safety

Post by Ken7 »

Saskatchewan is ahead of the pack when it comes to safety. They realize there are potential hazards with the meters, exploding! Why would one Crown Corporation spend the money to remove 105,000 meters when another is more concerned about the saving of money.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea as it prevents theft of power which each of us honest rate payers covers, but safety should be paramount.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1483134/saskp ... -province/

http://globalnews.ca/news/1455600/saskp ... ter-fires/

http://globalnews.ca/news/1477802/saskp ... nsay-sask/
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Smart Meter Safety

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sometimes "paramount" turns into "paranoid"...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Sometimes "paramount" turns into "paranoid"...
\

It would appear there may be just cause, and I'm for them.
AwakeFromDreamland
Fledgling

Post by AwakeFromDreamland »

Excellent post Ken7 . *removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 3rd, 2014, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Endocannabinoid system "We are all born with a form of marijuana already in our bodies." "Cannabis kills cancer cells,people are not aware of that,they think cancer/cannabis - anti nausea.It's waay beyond that." Dr.Robert Melamede phD
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

seems odd to me that BC has way way more smart meters and have had the odd fire similar to above but was traced to
old,corroaded mounting lugs that caused a poor connection that arched and caused the fire. ? I think the sask meter removel deal is a dramatic over reaction
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Ken7 wrote:Saskatchewan is ahead of the pack when it comes to safety.

...right. That's why this is their solution to the deteriorating condition of their roads.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

REGINA — The company that manufactures the electricity meters that are being replaced in Saskatchewan due to fires is defending its equipment.

Sensus, the North Carolina-based company whose smart meters have been linked to eight fires in Saskatchewan homes, says in a news release it has conducted lab tests and site inspections at the recent incidents.

It says the results so far indicate that some of the fires were caused by holes in the meter boxes that allowed water in, or by power surges.

It also says a “hot socket” that occurred where the meter is plugged into a home’s utility base played a role in one of the incidents.

The condition can result from of a poor connection between the meter and the home’s socket, and background material supplied by the company suggests sockets need to be checked for wear or corrosion before meters are installed.
what I said in my previous post same deal as BC.Sask gov look like turds over this deal(no study/over reaction=dumb)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

smaty meters> more like fire starters
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

wanderingman wrote:REGINA — The company that manufactures the electricity meters that are being replaced in Saskatchewan due to fires is defending its equipment.

Sensus, the North Carolina-based company whose smart meters have been linked to eight fires in Saskatchewan homes, says in a news release it has conducted lab tests and site inspections at the recent incidents.

It says the results so far indicate that some of the fires were caused by holes in the meter boxes that allowed water in, or by power surges.

It also says a “hot socket” that occurred where the meter is plugged into a home’s utility base played a role in one of the incidents.

The condition can result from of a poor connection between the meter and the home’s socket, and background material supplied by the company suggests sockets need to be checked for wear or corrosion before meters are installed.
what I said in my previous post same deal as BC.Sask gov look like turds over this deal(no study/over reaction=dumb)

As in any Civil matter, you would never want to admit to fault! Therefore you put the blame on the corrosion. I ask, do the installers not look to ensure the existing meter was mounted cleanly? Let's think about it. IF, the corrosion was the issue, the company would stop work order until this matter was resolved, even if it was at the cost of the home owner.

Where I work we have had issue with electronics blowing up. Ironically it has only been one year, and since we have had smart meters installed in our complex.

Hmmm... would there be a connection?? Time will tell once it is figured out.

Return to “Canada”