Native Compensation and Associated Benefits

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Native Compensation and Associated Benefits

Post by steven lloyd »

It’s not that some posters are completely incorrect with all of their bigoted assumptions. It is just that they end up being mostly incorrect by making sweeping over-generalizations to describe an entire population of people in every situation. By every intent of the definition of the word, this is prejudicial stereotyping and racist. Cognitive short-cuts (stereotyping, assumptive thinking) do have their purpose, but are not helpful when trying to gain an understanding of very complex issues. Sadly, cherry-picking anomalous facts that only support preconceived notions does not help. Sometimes even people who think they are well-informed could, in fact, be much better informed. It just takes some effort.

For example, Do Aboriginal Peoples pay tax?

“A nonsense myth meant to keep us divided. The only people who do not pay federal or provincial taxes are those who live and work on the Reserves in Canada. Why? Because Reserves are not funded by provincial tax dollars, like a city or town is. Interestingly enough, the taxes paid by people who live in unincorporated townships are next to nothing as well.....because there is no provincial funding taking care of garbage removal, road clearing, sewage, etc. In many places not even fire service. Yet no one complains about that, do they?

Those of us who do not live on Reserve......70% of Canada's Natives.......pay all the same taxes as anyone else. I live half the year on the Rez, half in the city. I pay income tax, provincial HST, property taxes, land transfer taxes.....if they can tax it, I've paid it. My entire adult life. I work from home.....but even when I am on the Rez I still pay income tax, as my job is based off Rez. We also don't go to post-secondary for free either. There are limited scholarships paid for by the BAND.....not the government....that a person can apply for. There are strict requirements that most students don't meet.

If they are teaching you such propaganda in school, I have to wonder as to the quality of education you are receiving.”

Source: Ojibwe in Ontario. Been paying every tax possible her entire adult life. Sick of the myths meant to keep Canadians thinking we are living off of them

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... 529AACyvBf

Many people mistakenly think that Aboriginal people do not pay income tax, GST, PST and property tax. In fact, most aboriginal people pay tax on the same basis as others in Canada, ...

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2011/12/10 ... pay-taxes/

Aboriginal people in Canada, like all Canadians, are subject to laws that impose taxes. This paper will provide a brief overview of the legislative framework of taxation in Canada.

http://www.publications.gc.ca/Collectio ... p309-e.htm

other myths and misconceptions about status

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/india ... -1.2744870

We could on dispelling many of the inaccurate assumptions and generalizations people use to justify their hate-promoting assumptions. However, some people are just too well-informed to even entertain the notion they could ever be better informed. At some point even participating in these threads gives this ugliness far more validation than it deserves.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Here is what status natives get in a nutshell:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/who-qualif ... -1.1781117

Taxes
Status Indians “are subject to the same tax rules as other Canadian residents” unless income is eligible for an exemption under Section 87 of the Indian Act.
“That exemption applies to the income of an Indian that is earned on a reserve or that is considered to be earned on a reserve, as well as to goods bought on, or delivered to, a reserve,” the CRA states on its website.
Properties on reserves are exempt from tax, as are businesses if the income-earning portion of activity is conducted on a reserve.
While tax-exempt income is also exempt from CPP contributions, it is subject to employment insurance premiums. Businesses on reserves can choose to opt-in to CPP.
While Status Indians pay excise duties -- taxes paid by a manufacturer or distributor and included in a product’s retail price -- they do not pay GST or HST on goods bought on a reserve.
Health Care
The provinces and territories administer physician and hospital services, while the federal government provides treatment and public health services.
Eligible First Nations and Inuit are also covered by the Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Program, which provides health coverage “to support them in reaching an overall health status that is comparable with other Canadians.”
The program provides coverage for “a limited range of medically necessary goods and services” that are not covered under other plans or programs. These include vision and dental care, some medications, medical supplies and other services.
Housing
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development provides some funding to support on-reserve housing, including construction of new homes and renovation of existing structures.
Education
Children with Indian Status can attend schools operated on reserves operated by the First Nation community or by the federal government, or an off-reserve school run by the province.
Students can apply to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development for financial aid to attend a post-secondary institution.
Share this story:

Now they want to give 600,000 more people status. I guess you think that's also nothing because maybe not all of them will use it, but here's an indication of how anxious they are to get these benefits:
The Mi’kmaq band estimated there would be a maximum of 12,000 members claiming status under the agreement. So far, 100,000 people have signed up — including many who no longer reside in Newfoundland.

Your argument is that not all natives are receiving benefits while ignoring how many do and will. Another thing you keep ignoring is how many non-native Canadians there are who can receive the same benefits... NONE.
Last edited by zzontar on Sep 26th, 2014, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Wow, I always wondered why dental care wasn't part of the MSP... I see status natives have dental care included in their health plan. I can't afford dental care myself but have to pay for someone elses... nice.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

zzontar wrote:Wow, I always wondered why dental care wasn't part of the MSP... I see status natives have dental care included in their health plan. I can't afford dental care myself but have to pay for someone elses... nice.

thats right mp and senators and mla thank you for looking after there teeth
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 27th, 2014, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

lakevixen wrote: thats right mp and senators and mla thank you for looking after there teeth

Actually, it's the Canadian taxpayers who pay for it, I guess those early treaties included a clause about dental care. I wonder why natives don't wish for their traditional dental care?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

not are fault if they choose not to use free dental care, I could never wrap my head around that one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

George Orwell had it right: "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" [Animal Farm]
Bumblebuns
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

bumblebuns wrote:George Orwell had it right: "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" [Animal Farm]

This is hilarious coming from somebody who won the genetic lottery, lives in one of the most prosperous countries in the world, doesn't have to worry about starving any time soon or being involved in any kind of war or genocide yet somehow thinking life isn't fair just because the neighbor seems to get some extra perks here and there. If you live in Canada you're more equal than 5 billion people in this world - yet it's still not good enough.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

This is hilarious coming from somebody who won the genetic lottery, lives in one of the most prosperous countries in the world, doesn't have to worry about starving any time soon or being involved in any kind of war or genocide yet somehow thinking life isn't fair just because the neighbor seems to get some extra perks here and there. If you live in Canada you're more equal than 5 billion people in this world - yet it's still not good enough.[/quote]
Hi Capt. A. I'm interested to know how you learned the details of my genetics, what country I live in, etc. Your omniscience is astounding!
Bumblebuns
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Captain Awesome wrote:
This is hilarious coming from somebody who won the genetic lottery, lives in one of the most prosperous countries in the world, doesn't have to worry about starving any time soon or being involved in any kind of war or genocide

Is this a result of the native's or the white man's doing?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Is this a result of the native's or the white man's doing?
it is the result of adam and eve we all came from these 2 remember?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Or not.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Canada”