Drive 2,000km for $3.00

matai
Banned

Drive 2,000km for $3.00

Post by matai »

This is ingenious! This guy converted his motorcycle to electricity, and recently made the return-trip from La Sarre to Quebec City (2,000km) at a cost of $1.50 each way. In fact, he said he traveled at no cost as electric refuel pumps are free to use.

He also converted his snow blower to electricity lol.

He says an electric motorcycle costs the same as standard one, between $9k-15k.

In the video at 0:05, you can hear its noise when running. - none.

LOVE it!

Now, if a "simple" citizen can do that, I can certainly imagine EVERY SINGLE CAR MAKER already know how to do that.

http://www.abitibiexpress.ca/Actualites ... ectrique/1
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Drive 2,000km for $3.00

Post by hobbyguy »

The downsides haven't been solved yet. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php

Highway driving range for the Zero is listed as 88 miles. Charging time as 5-6 hours. I suppose you could extend the range quite a bit by adding saddlebags full of batteries? However, doing a 2000 KM trip at 130 km "hops" with 5-6 hr breaks isn't very practical for most folks. 260 km per day max. That would make a Kelowna to Prince George visit a 3 day trip each way. So that's 2 extra hotel room costs each way - minimum. From here to Merrit is 104 km drive - so that's your first 5-6 hr stop. Then Cache Creek is too far, so you stop in Savona for the night. Then if you are lucky, you make to 100 Mile, but more likely just to the Green Lake turn off - 5-6 hrs hanging around a gas station/corner store... etc.

Practically, you need to have a minimum range of about 350 km. However, where public charging stations are available, the charge time goes down.

The Tesla cars do have the range, and the charging technology is much better. Just too much $$ for most of us to buy.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I admit to being less than informed when it comes to electric cars/vehicles but I have a question. Why is it not possible to have alternators/generators on board these vehicles?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Because they take power to drive them. Basically you have to put more energy in than you get out. So you would actually loose power driving the alternator. In the end you would have to recharge sooner. Very simple explanation, I hope it helps you.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a product that can actually produce more energy than it uses. Although I stand to be corrected.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Thanks. That actually makes sense. Probably should have gotten there myself had I taken the time to think about it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I admit to being less than informed when it comes to electric cars/vehicles but I have a question. Why is it not possible to have alternators/generators on board these vehicles?

That's how the Chevy Volt works. From Wikipidia:
The Volt operates as a pure battery electric vehicle until its plug-in battery capacity drops to a predetermined threshold from full charge. From there its internal combustion engine powers an electric generator to extend the vehicle's range as needed. When the engine is running it may be periodically mechanically linked (by a clutch) to a planetary gear set, and hence the output drive axle, to improve energy efficiency. The Volt's regenerative braking also contributes to the on-board electricity generation. Under the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) cycle, the 2013/14 model year Volt all-electric range is 38 mi (61 km), with a combined electric mode/gasoline-only rating of 62 mpg-US (3.8 L/100 km; 74 mpg-imp) equivalent (MPG-equivalent).

jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

For a 9 to 5er who commutes a half hour or so. In BC you'd give yourself a good savings for near 8 months.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

matai wrote:This is ingenious! This guy converted his motorcycle to electricity, and recently made the return-trip from La Sarre to Quebec City (2,000km) at a cost of $1.50 each way. In fact, he said he traveled at no cost as electric refuel pumps are free to use.

He also converted his snow blower to electricity lol.

He says an electric motorcycle costs the same as standard one, between $9k-15k.

In the video at 0:05, you can hear its noise when running. - none.

LOVE it!

Now, if a "simple" citizen can do that, I can certainly imagine EVERY SINGLE CAR MAKER already know how to do that.

http://www.abitibiexpress.ca/Actualites ... ectrique/1

This has already been done many times. It will never become mainstream because big corporations won't allow it. End of story.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Smurf wrote:As far as I know there is no such thing as a product that can actually produce more energy than it uses. Although I stand to be corrected.

So what is a windmill or watermill?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Danielson99 wrote:

Smurf wrote:
As far as I know there is no such thing as a product that can actually produce more energy than it uses. Although I stand to be corrected.

So what is a windmill or watermill?

They are an energy source.

If you actually think about it, you are still using energy to produce the electricity. You actually still use more energy than you produce due to mechanical friction, electrical resistance losses etc.. There is no way to produce electricity without some sort of energy and there will always be losses. Energy out equals energy in minus equipment losses.

I'm not sure if you are relating to cost or what, but you always need an energy source and you never get the same energy out as you put in.

There are many different types of cars as shown by Gilch's post, but they all require some sort of energy, for instance a separate gas motor, to produce any sort of additional electricity.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The real key is storage capacity.

We have gotten used to the high energy density of petroleum products. gasoline, as we all know, is pretty explosive. That's a crude measure of its energy density.

Renewable energy sources, like hydro electric, produce massive amounts of energy - but you can't tow a dam and a river behind you.

That's why there is so much research into battery and super conductor technologies. I believe the US DOE is targeting technologies that will allow 5 times the range of current battery technologies in vehicles. If they get there, then a vehicle like the Volt would have a range of something like 300 km on a charge.

300 km range would get you from Kelowna to Clinton, or Abbottsford, or Castlegar before you needed a recharge. That starts to get really practical.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

This Brammo model has a 3KW onboard charger for faster recharge times. http://www.brammo.com/empulse/ Performance-wise electric bikes are definitely challenging gasoline engines. I would consider one if I had need of a commuter vehicle.
I birn quil I se
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

lol, nobody is going to buy a noiseless motorcycle. The entire purpose of owning a motorcycle is to disturb all your neighbours while you circle around the neighbourhood all day and night.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

hobbyguy wrote:The Tesla cars do have the range, and the charging technology is much better. Just too much $$ for most of us to buy.

Tesla announced they plan to come out with an entry level car with a 325 km range starting at $35,000 by the year 2017. Should be a game changer.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Canada”