Wounded Ex-Soldiers Not Getting Disability Cheques

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Wounded Ex-Soldiers Not Getting Disability Cheques

Post by maryjane48 »

OTTAWA - A new report by Canada's veterans watchdog says nearly half of the country's most severely disabled ex-soldiers are not receiving a government allowance intended to compensate them for their physical and mental wounds.

Veterans ombudsman Guy Parent also concluded that those who are receiving the permanent impairment allowance, along with a recently introduced supplement, are only awarded the lowest grade of the benefit.

The criteria used by federal bureaucrats to evaluate disability do not match the intent of the allowance, and the guidelines are too restrictive, the report said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/08/19 ... a-politics

malfeasance abounds with harper and his henchmen, he got to go
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Wounded Ex-Soldiers Not Getting Disability Cheques

Post by the truth »

this kind of news makes me soooooooooo mad,we should send these bureaucrats to the front lines and get there legs and arms blown off,see how quick they get disability money then
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lakevixen wrote:malfeasance abounds with harper and his henchmen, he got to go

It's quite obvious that you don't understand the meaning of the word malfeasance, given the story has absolutely nothing to do with malfeasance.

Carry on.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

These men & women of our Armed Forces have done their duty, now its people of this Country to do theres and light a fire under every MP (this should be an all Party issue).

Added later: Here a link to all MP of Canada and contact info http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members

Email them and let them know what you think of the treatment of our Soldiers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

First I support veterans 100%, having family who serve in the military today and in the past.
What I don't support is headline driven reporting by various news organizations. Having looked through the various news reports not one provides a link to the actual report, but with a bit of searching I found the report. As usual the majority of news reporting is biased to the political leanings of the organizations and I suggest no one should be making comments based on the brief published news reports. I have provided a link to the report and a few comments from the report.

Eligibility for the Permanent Impairment Allowance
Prior to the October 3, 2011 enactment of the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act,48 54 Veterans were in receipt of the Permanent Impairment Allowance. As of September 30, 2013, the number was 1,190. It is clear that the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act has had a positive effect on improving access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance.

A huge improvement made by the law enacted by the conservatives, it may not be perfect, but no one is reporting the improvement.
However, the Department advised that 101 totally and permanently incapacitated Veterans are in receipt of the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance, and therefore are not eligible for the Permanent Impairment Allowance or the Supplement.

Numerous veterans receive either one or the other benefit, the EIA appears to be the better benefit.
It is also probable that a number of Veterans were assessed to be totally and permanently incapacitated for health conditions unrelated to service and were not awarded a disability benefit;

Also, the Department is unable to confirm how many totally and permanent incapacitated Veterans have simply not applied for the benefits.

I believe the new Act is definitely headed in the right direction, and as with any program, a review will normally show where it can be improved, and this case is no different.
Reading the report, I note that no where does it indicate the program is not benefiting veterans, but instead indicates where is can be improved.

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/reports/reports-reviews/supporting-impaired-veterans#gb
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Huffington Post..... the comment "Carry On" seems to fit here as well.

Return to “Canada”