Tim Hortons being acquired . . . by Burger King

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Tim Hortons being acquired . . . by Burger King

Post by oneh2obabe »

Ken7 wrote:It may be interesting to see if this goes ahead how it works out. I refuse to go to Tim Hortins now, unless I am walking. How will this impact Burger King when you have to wait for the coffee row to clear before you can order a meal?

Not that I'm a fast food burger guy, but if I was I would choose the shorter line up, and it won't be at King Hortins.

OAKVILLE, ONT.—Miami-based Burger King is buying Canada’s iconic coffee chain Tim Hortons for about $12.5 billion in a deal that will allow the two fast food companies to operate as independent brands.

The companies say the transaction will create a new company that will form the world’s third-largest quick service restaurant company.

The new global company will have about $23 billion in sales and more than 18,000 restaurants in 100 countries, allowing both chains to expand globally.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/08 ... ffett.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I wonder if they'll market it as the TH lounge? Maybe have a mascot finally.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Wow, you'd think they would have learned their lesson when Wendy's bought them out and failed. Regardless, I will never be going to Tim Hortons again. I liked shopping at a Canadian owned business but it is no longer Canadian. Bye Bye double doubles and a toasted everything bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Who isn't?

Ma and Pa businesses that earn a living off regular and faithful customers. Their bottom line is making customers happy, big corporations could care less if they make people happy...as long as they make big money.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Yeah, but Wendy's is passable fast food. Burger King . . . *shudders*

LOL@ comparing one *bleep* over another *bleep*. Not exactly refined taste you have there.....
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Hm - that is interesting. I just hope it won't affect our Timmies :(

It already affected our Timmies, it's no longer Canadian and no longer has an appeal of being OURS.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Danielson99 wrote:Wow, you'd think they would have learned their lesson when Wendy's bought them out and failed. Regardless, I will never be going to Tim Hortons again. I liked shopping at a Canadian owned business but it is no longer Canadian. Bye Bye double doubles and a toasted everything bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese.

Go to McDonalds and ask for a two and two, same beverage and I would bet if there was a taste test, there would be many incorrect guesses!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Danielson99 wrote:Wow, you'd think they would have learned their lesson when Wendy's bought them out and failed. Regardless, I will never be going to Tim Hortons again. I liked shopping at a Canadian owned business but it is no longer Canadian. Bye Bye double doubles and a toasted everything bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese.

Well since 2006 when Tim's became publicly traded Company, it lost Canadian ownership since stockholders become shared owners (who may not be Canadian at all).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Tim Hortons moved their corporate headquarters to Oakville in 2009 and reclaimed its legal status as a Canadian company.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Tim Hortons moved their corporate headquarters to Oakville in 2009 and reclaimed its legal status as a Canadian company.

It's publicly traded company, if majority of the shares holders are outside of Canada. Can it still claim to be Canadian owned.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

As long as the corporate headquarters are in Canada and the company is legally registered, it's Canadian. Doesn't matter where the shareholders are.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Well there's one less in line in front of us.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hey I got it, were it will all level out in the end.

BK will cause increase in sodium levels at Tim's & Tim's will increase sugar levels at BK. So everything will evened out. lol
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Danielson99 wrote:Ma and Pa businesses that earn a living off regular and faithful customers.

Ma and Pa care about finances just like everybody else. If they didn't care about finances and only cared about making people happy, they'd give their good away for free. They have to pay their rent just like everybody, they have to pay their suppliers just like everybody. Trust me, they care about money too.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

But Ma and Pa ain't dumb either. If I tell them that their coffee tastes like burnt cardboard - there's a chance they'll listen.

It took one of Tim's competitors years to listen to that one, instead they were probably listening to a bean counter who pointed out how much cheaper burnt cardboard is, and it cost them lots to try to turn that perception - and they are still working on it and spending more money on it.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”