Harper doesn't care

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Harper doesn't care

Post by maryjane48 »

The country's premiers and aboriginal leaders are expected to repeat their call for a national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women following talks in Charlottetown today.

That call is seen as likely even though there's no sign the federal government has budged from its opposition to holding such an inquiry.

Harper rebuffs renewed calls for murdered, missing women inquiry
Tina Fontaine's death can't be ignored, Brad Wall says
Trade a hot topic ahead of premiers' meeting in Charlottetown
Pressure from premiers and aboriginal leaders for an inquiry has intensified in recent days after 15-year-old Tina Fontaine's body was found in a river in Winnipeg.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper called the teen's apparent homicide a "terrible crime," but said it should not be seen as a "sociological phenomenon" that can be solved by an inquiry.

Many premiers disagree, however.

Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger told CBC Radio's The House recently that a national inquiry would not interfere with the police investigation, but would rather look at the deeper causes.

"A national inquiry could focus on prevention. It could focus on where the resources need to go. It could focus on understanding the underlying causes and it could focus on partnerships with aboriginal communities, aboriginal organizations, provincial governments, municipal governments, and all those service providers that are looking for ways to make sure nobody goes missing, nobody gets murdered, and nobody gets forgotten when they’re out on the street," Selinger said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/missing ... -1.2747874
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: harper doesn't care

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't what the exact number is (it's big if it's accurate) or what the answer is but this subject should have dominated the news for a long time. Where else on the planet is this acceptable?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Harper doesn't care

Post by hobbyguy »

There is no surprise in the uncaring stance of the Harper government. They only care about two things except themselves: groups of folks that predominantly vote for them, and corporations/groups that give them money.

Those darn aboriginal folks aligned themselves with those radical tree huggers like Neil Young and the crazy BC people who think they should have a say in bitumen pipelines and tankers for China. For Harper and crew, that is strike one, two, three and you're out.

Same as the current issues that Peter McKay is supposedly dealing with on "our" behalf. Guns laws - see this nice photo op: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peter-mackay-poses-in-pro-gun-no-compromise-t-shirt-1.2748676 - which lines up nicely with the US 9 year old who just destroyed two families because she was being taught how to use an Uzi. Prostitution: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peter-mackay-s-justice-roundtables-didn-t-set-a-place-for-sex-workers-1.2747403

Aboriginal folks are just one more group on Harper's "hit" list. So whatever they want, it automatically goes in Harper's "round file".

The whole attitude is anti-democratic. Guarantee you that if the Cons were lead by a reasonable person that believes in democracy (like Joe Clark), we would not be having these discussions.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 27th, 2014, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comment.
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

One of the reasons that we in BC say no to the pipeline is that at least twice a year we have a shortage of fuel, and the piplines that we already have are used for export, to me that means the oil companies do not care about us, so why would we care about them.
The oil companies built a lot of refineries out east, the ground is a lot flatter that way ship it east. Kalamazoo was not a big thing. We have a carbon tax, the little dog Premier gives that to the oil companies, and we are paying $1.39 a liter for fuel. I really feel a lot of love for the oil companies.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

What do you really think an inquiry can do to help?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Hassel99 wrote:What do you really think an inquiry can do to help?

well lets see , we have had them for mine cave ins, air india, political scandals ect ect why you against one for first nation women ? why were all the others so important , but not this one?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

why is everything a racist navtive issue with you anyway, its mostly native men killing native women how about the chiefs look into it.
you want an inquiry here it is, I will save us time and millions
most native men not all view native women less than them, put alcohol in the mix,== murder- and there you have your inquiry. NOW WHAT??? wil the chiefs do to change that,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I believe this has been thrown around on another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=58572

Sadly, it is obvious by this that some people hate to be held accountable for their actions. I further wonder why their Government hasn't taken affirmative action as it appears, only by what I've read that their killing their own in most cases.

I suggest write the appropriate persons stating with the local Chiefs to start something positive for their people. It isn't Harpers responsibility.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I suggest write the appropriate persons stating with the local Chiefs to start something positive for their people. It isn't Harpers responsibility.

why was there a inquiry into cretiens lil sponsorship scandal? we knew who the guilty party were? ans why was there one for the westray mine disaster ? we knew the mine was run poorly , whether you like it or not your stance projects you and harper of only wanting one if its white people involved
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lakevixen wrote:

why was there a inquiry into cretiens lil sponsorship scandal? we knew who the guilty party were? ans why was there one for the westray mine disaster ? we knew the mine was run poorly , whether you like it or not your stance projects you and harper of only wanting one if its white people involved

Go back to the other post and read. Also can you figure out where I was going on my post or have you given it just a moment of thought?

The answers are there, the solution you would not want to hear from me or Mr.Harper!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i know exactly where you were going , but it shows what is a big part of the problem is , lack of action on the part of canadas govt to clean its skeleton closet out . i now see justin has and is recruiting first nation people to run in the next elextion , which is smart on his part . incase you missed it first nations are allowed to vote now
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lakevixen wrote:i know exactly where you were going , but it shows what is a big part of the problem is , lack of action on the part of canadas govt to clean its skeleton closet out . i now see justin has and is recruiting first nation people to run in the next elextion , which is smart on his part . incase you missed it first nations are allowed to vote now

There is also lack of action by their own people. All I'm hearing is we want.

You want all of Canada to be your land.
You want Self Government.
You want all treaties for anyone with a lick of Indian in them ( That's not what the original agreement was )
You want Canadian Government to solve all your problems.

When will you and your people become responsible and accountable for some of the matters at hand?? I along with many other working, tax paying, Canadians want you to be equal. Be like the rest of Canada.

Tell me how can anyone satisfy our Aboriginal tomorrow, because you seem to know everything.

On another perspective, maybe we should all claim Immigrant Status and hang out, have our Landlords pay our way! How does that sit with you because it will come to this one day and then the table will turn, we will sit and want!

Return to “Canada”