The truth about missing aboriginal woman.

driveangry
Übergod

Re: The truth about missing aboriginal woman.

Post by driveangry »

Smurf wrote:You know nothing about what my knowledge is. Where do you get all your supposed knowledge.

When I worked in the North in a number of different projects and provinces I had a great deal to do with the local First Nations people. As I have said before as a safety officer, union representative and tradesman I worked with them all the time. I was trained to help them assimilate to the life style, work etc.. I also had to train our other workers in what to expect from them. Such things as not coming to work on time, or not at all for days. It was a difference in their culture we had to accept. Can you name anyone else who would be accepted like that. When we started to train them as tradesman they were all given free tools while anyone else had to supply their own. Many companies would loan new employees money to buy tools on payroll deductions, but no one else got them free. Do you think that is fair?????

I could go on for pages and really don't want to talk about many of the problems but I can tell you for sure that most of their problems were self caused. Most had no interest in changing. They wanted us to change and look after them. That is not the way it goes on large work sites. They were given every chance in the world to succeed, much more than anyone else and they failed at a high rate.

I actually worked with management and bands to try help them, but in many cases it was never going to happen. They wanted the big pay but not the work that went with it. Having said that we did get many very good employees, many of whom are still working. However their success rate was very low compared to any other group including Temporary Foreign Workers most of whom could not even speak English.

Most of the successful ones I know say that the nations as a whole would be much better if reserves were gone and they started to depend on themselves instead of the government. I am sure getting off the reserves and into society and becoming self sufficient would cause a huge drop in missing women. The change in life style as they became more independent would help them in their everyday lives. I saw it happen many many times. They have to take a serious part in getting themselves out of the problems they are having. Just like an alcoholic or drug addict, no one else or no amount of money can do it for them. In most cases the free money does more harm. That goes not only for first nations but all people. You have to feel self worth to suceed, but first you have to be truly looking for it.

I'm not going to argue or deny your experiences of the north that happened long ago. But to label all FN because of a few is wrong. And to suggest that it's like that everywhere is also wrong. Every Band has issues just like non FN people do.

Who doesn't want big pay for little work ? That's a world wide problem.

Back in the day in Alberta when my dad had a business, the province had people coming in from the east looking for work. Many people, white people, applied for work, they would lie about their schooling and experience. The few that had potential, my dad would supply them with tools. It was common practice back then.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I agree it is not worth arguing because we are at opposite ends of the scale. However If you read my posts I talk about the many, many who have succeeded etc.. I am not labeling all FN because of a few but, I am saying that there were more bad than good. In my mind this was not long ago. 15 years is not long, at least when you are my age. I also know the couple of things I mentioned and many more still go on today. It is extremely bad because it makes them different and causes resentment. That same resentment shows up for females or other ethnic groups that are hired to be politically correct and not because they are the best candidate. That is why I say they have to leave the reserves and come to work/life on equal ground. I have seen many do it and it works. Till the playing field is equal they are going to have problems being accepted as equals. And I believe that until that happens they are going to have problems with the rest of their lives. I also believe that change has to happen with them to ever work. Nothing anyone else does will truly work until they work "hard" at it themselves. I believe all my FN friends fully agree with that.

I and most others are not against the FN's, we just want to see their problems fixed and realized that money and special treatment is not going to do it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

Smurf wrote:
I and most others are not against the FN's, we just want to see their problems fixed and realized that money and special treatment is not going to do it.

11/10. Never has worked, never will.
Bumblebuns
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup 10/10
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

A lot of these parent are children of residential school. They have no parenting skills because that part of their culture has been erased from time. That's where the circle starts. Their bad parenting gets passed on down.

The many that I know personally or know about continued their education thru programs from the Bands to get up to where they should have been from the public schools, then got funding to further their education to get a good career.

Parenting is not a cultural issue. It is a responsibility issue and irrespective of culture, the basis for a sound parenting platform is not restricted by race, color or creed. It is restricted by the parents desire to raise their children with the fundamental understanding of right and wrong.

Anyone who avails themselves of advanced education thus opening more doors has my vote and respect.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

mexicalidreamer wrote:
Parenting is not a cultural issue. It is a responsibility issue and irrespective of culture, the basis for a sound parenting platform is not restricted by race, color or creed. It is restricted by the parents desire to raise their children with the fundamental understanding of right and wrong.

Anyone who avails themselves of advanced education thus opening more doors has my vote and respect.

Excellent post, agree 100%. I posted a link a few posts back that explains it quite well for FN. Unfortunately I have no links to explain it for non FN.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Smurf wrote:I agree it is not worth arguing because we are at opposite ends of the scale. However If you read my posts I talk about the many, many who have succeeded etc.. I am not labeling all FN because of a few but, I am saying that there were more bad than good. In my mind this was not long ago. 15 years is not long, at least when you are my age. I also know the couple of things I mentioned and many more still go on today. It is extremely bad because it makes them different and causes resentment. That same resentment shows up for females or other ethnic groups that are hired to be politically correct and not because they are the best candidate. That is why I say they have to leave the reserves and come to work/life on equal ground. I have seen many do it and it works. Till the playing field is equal they are going to have problems being accepted as equals. And I believe that until that happens they are going to have problems with the rest of their lives. I also believe that change has to happen with them to ever work. Nothing anyone else does will truly work until they work "hard" at it themselves. I believe all my FN friends fully agree with that.

I can appreciate your concern for FN people as it is a concern of mine also, as with non FN. I will disagree that there are more bad than good.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Some people wonder why there are problems for FN.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/eri ... -1.2917419
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Yes we got off topic, does it matter ?? All these FN threads are started for the same reason, promoting hatred, a place for trolls to spread lies and misinform.

yes it matters and I say a place to discuss the reality of the situation
You choose to lead a high risk life style you loose as we have lots of scum bags(pickton type)out there trolling for you
Last edited by wanderingman on Jan 19th, 2015, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Back on topic. The thread is about missing Aboriginal women. It's not a place for racist remarks, their lifestyle or how you perceive an individual.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Respectfully, those points are directly at the heart of the matter; lifestyle, perception and racism are the essence I think of why this is a problem at all.

The perception of the Non native individual to a large degree contains at least some negativity which can blossom into racial intolerance which can lead to the infliction of harm.

The lifestyle chosen by seemingly so many marginalized aboriginal women definitely is or can be a precursor to violence which several here have pointed out.

I think that most of us, regardless of the side of the fence we sit on or the tone of our skin agree that there is a problem here. It is serious and it needs to be addressed but it doesn't need an inquiry because we all I think understand what is at the root. The Feds while throwing money at first nations do so only as a measure of compliance without really knowing where it goes.

They need to know. There needs to be accountability on the part of the native governance whom have been entrusted with the welfare of their people and that to at least some degree (probably more than anyone knows) is not happening.

This refusal of transparency is merely a shield for them to hide behind which ultimately protects their own self serving greed.

The money is there. It just isn't being utilized for the good of all and far too many are slipping through the cracks.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Respectfully, those points are directly at the heart of the matter; lifestyle, perception and racism are the essence I think of why this is a problem at all.

The perception of the Non native individual to a large degree contains at least some negativity which can blossom into racial intolerance which can lead to the infliction of harm.

The lifestyle chosen by seemingly so many marginalized aboriginal women definitely is or can be a precursor to violence which several here have pointed out.

I think that most of us, regardless of the side of the fence we sit on or the tone of our skin agree that there is a problem here. It is serious and it needs to be addressed but it doesn't need an inquiry because we all I think understand what is at the root. The Feds while throwing money at first nations do so only as a measure of compliance without really knowing where it goes.

They need to know. There needs to be accountability on the part of the native governance whom have been entrusted with the welfare of their people and that to at least some degree (probably more than anyone knows) is not happening.

This refusal of transparency is merely a shield for them to hide behind which ultimately protects their own self serving greed.

The money is there. It just isn't being utilized for the good of all and far too many are slipping through the cracks.

I agree with everything you posted except the part in red. This may be true with Treaty Bands elsewhere in Canada, it would depend on the treaty, but in BC the non treaty bands money is controlled by the Gov't, DIA. Bands in BC are audited by the government for that one reason, accountability.

It doesn't help things when you have scum like Eric Dejaeger destroying peoples lives. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/eri ... -1.2917398
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

^^ To add to my post above, moneys given to the Bands for programs to help are also gov't implemented programs, meaning the money ends up back where it started, and most of those programs don't work. That's why FN want more control on how those dollars are spent.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

driveangry wrote:Some people wonder why there are problems for FN.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/eri ... -1.2917419

. these sob have been doing this to kids around the world for hundreds of years ,not just native people
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

the truth wrote: . these sob have been doing this to kids around the world for hundreds of years ,not just native people

Yes and it needs to be stopped completely.

Return to “Canada”