I wish, therefore I am

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

I wish, therefore I am

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i wish, therefore i am... a criminal?

this is apparently the message the rcmp and the court is sending us.
it would seem by this charge and judgement that the castanet forum and comments are rife with criminal activity :)

Man sentenced for threatening police officers
By The Canadian Press
Tuesday, September 09, 2014 @ 5:39 PM
MONCTON, N.B. - A 24-year-old man who pleaded guilty to uttering threats against police officers in Moncton has been sentenced to a nine-month conditional sentence, with the first three months to be spent under house arrest.

Jasper John Stam pleaded guilty in June before the provincial court.

An agreed statement of facts presented today in court says Stam had a conversation at a local farmers market in May, during which he said he wished police officers would be killed.

Stam was released from custody in June on conditions that include not having any contact with Justin Bourque, who will be sentenced next month for fatally shooting three Mounties.

The Crown and defence said Stam and Bourque were acquaintances but not close friends.

The RCMP have said the charge against Stam was not linked to their investigation into the fatal shootings of constables Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, Douglas James Larche and Dave Joseph Ross on June 4.

Crown prosecutor Mario Cormier and defence lawyer Jean Cormier jointly recommended the nine-month conditional sentence for Stam.

During his house arrest, Stam is only allowed to leave home for work, medical appointments and religious ceremonies.

http://www.250news.com/canadian-press/? ... d=29816122
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: i wish, therefore i am...

Post by Merry »

I think we all need a bit more information before commenting on this. What exactly was said, and in what context? How did the police find out that he'd said it?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Uttering threats is a crime, where is the controversy?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i wish, therefore i am... a criminal?
He pleaded guilty to uttering threats - seems straight forward to me.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Following the Moncton shootings, the couple saw some comments Stam had posted on Facebook, which seemed sympathetic to Bourque and decided to file a complaint with police.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.2760745
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

That there is a criminal offense (...it's not new) related to uttering threats, and he pleaded guilty to it, I don't see there being any issue with the sentencing.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:it would seem by this charge and judgement that the castanet forum and comments are rife with criminal activity :)
It is against the rules of the forum to utter threats.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

so, if one should say, 'i wish you didn't exist', it would seem they would be just as guilty as mr. stram.

it seems extreme, and unreasonable, to be punished for 'wishing'.

if one feels that they are in danger due to someone's wishing, i would say that person or those people, are genuine cowards.

someone 'wishing' is not so threatening as to be criminal in my opinion.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Welcome to reality, don't utter threats and your fine, this much ado about nothing unless you have a hate-on for the police/RCMP and are trying to bend things to fit your pre-existing prejudices.
On a different forum
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:so, if one should say, 'i wish you didn't exist', it would seem they would be just as guilty as mr. stram.

it seems extreme, and unreasonable, to be punished for 'wishing'.

if one feels that they are in danger due to someone's wishing, i would say that person or those people, are genuine cowards.

someone 'wishing' is not so threatening as to be criminal in my opinion.

Did you not bother to read the news items? He pleaded guilty as he DID utter threats - not just "wishing".

Judge Anne Dugas-Horsman said there is no doubt the words uttered by Stam do constitute a threat. Those types of comments have to be taken seriously, she said, agreeing to the joint recommendation of nine-month conditional sentence.

If Stam fails to follow the conditions, he will serve the sentence behind bars, she said.

During the three months of house arrest, Stam can only leave his Bonaccord Street home for work or job interviews, medical necessities or appointments, to attend Stam family events at Notre-Dame with prior approval of the RCMP, for religious purposes, and for three hours on Sundays for "personal needs."

Some of the other conditions include not to possess or own any firearms or prohibited weapons, not to have access to the internet, and he must keep the peace and be of good behaviour.

Bourque is scheduled to return to court for a sentencing hearing on Oct. 27.

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/newbrunswi ... out-police

It's a wonder you totally missed every news report that confirmed the threats and Stam acknowledged uttering threats.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

i read it, and i see that he indeed pled guilty, but that does not mean an automatic conviction. there has to be some sort of evidence, proof. what we are given is, via the 'agreed statement of facts', is that stam 'wished' police were killed. hardly threatening, and surely one would think not criminal.

even if we consider what stam was alleged to have said

Stam had joined in on a conversation, saying, "Oh ya, if you want to kill some f------ cops, we'll kill some f------ cops. I wish they were all dead," the courtroom heard.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.2760745

i would think that still would not be criminal.

minus the profanity, and sometimes with, we see people speak just as violently and threateningly in this forum all the time. the rcmp and the court are saying those that do are criminals. i disagree with this assertion.

people go out to 'kill' the opposition all the time, it is common form of expression, and it means to triumph over, succeed against, prevail against, win over and many other ways of looking at it and meaning it other than actually threatening the very life or lives of the stated 'target' of the 'killing'.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i would think that still would not be criminal.
Well obviously you are mistaken.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

we see people speak just as violently and threateningly in this forum all the time
And their IP address can be forwarded to police and posters have been banned from the forum.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Interesting that when Tom Flanagan advocated a "assassination of Julian Assange without a trial, via a drone stike" - a man who has/had the Prime Ministers ear - he was not charged or convicted for doing so.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wikilea ... e-1.877546

Say that you wish the police "in general" were dead at a farmers market - charged and convicted.

Make a specific threat against a specific person on national TV. Good to go.
Last edited by Atomoa on Sep 9th, 2014, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote: i read it, and i see that he indeed pled guilty, but that does not mean an automatic conviction. there has to be some sort of evidence, proof. what we are given is, via the 'agreed statement of facts', ... .

An "agreed statement of facts";
ergo, no need for a trial;
ergo, no need for anyone to prove anything.

The Judge would have the discretion to toss the case;
however, in this case it seemed prudent to go with the
joint submission made by Crown and defense.
Nothing irregular here.

Return to “Canada”