Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

You gotta be kidding!

Post by Rwede »

Federal workers union wants time off to mourn ‘aboriginal spirit friends’

Vancouver, BC, Canada / (CKNW AM) AM980

Liza Yuzda

September 11, 2014 07:55 am

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation is pointing out some “outrageous” contract demands made by one arm of the Public Service Alliance of Canada.

Gregory Thomas says the Education and Library Science Group within PSAC want 10 days off for bereavement, up from five. But it’s for whom they want the time off for to grieve that’s at issue: an aboriginal spirit friend.

The CTF says these are commonly considered to be religious spirits or ghosts and can take a human or animal form.

“They want 10 days off with pay if an imaginary friend dies,” says Thomas. “These people might as well be working at imaginary jobs.”

The group also wants 13 statutory holidays, and four weeks paid vacation for new hires.

PSAC, which has about 1,000 library and education workers, has not returned calls for comment.

http://www.cknw.com/2014/09/11/federal/ ... cebook.com
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: You gotta be kidding!

Post by Treblehook »

You are right... you have to be kidding!!!!!!!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Absolutely rediculous. If this is true it should not even be debated.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Wow!!! Lmao!!!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'd suggest they should give them the time off they need. Only saying this because IF you have a imaginary friend, you failed to disclose you are ill and therefore they should relieve you of your duties as unsuitable!

End of story my friend!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

While we're at it, let's cancel Christmas and Easter. Imaginary people should never result in time off.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Reading the responses on the link I do agree that some points are brought to the table knowing they are the first ones to go.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

Poindexter wrote:While we're at it, let's cancel Christmas and Easter. Imaginary people should never result in time off.

Imaginary??
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Poindexter wrote:While we're at it, let's cancel Christmas and Easter. Imaginary people should never result in time off.

Careful now, that goes against the racial agenda here.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

This is one reply from the link ..
In depth journalism has gone out the window long time ago ..
People prefer quick, short, sensationalism stories .. what can you do ..

Michael on Sep 11, 2014 at 01:17 pm said:

To clarify:

Aboriginal spirit friend, or longhouse friend has nothing to do with imaginary people nor ghosts as stated by the reporter at CKNW. The Education and Library Science Groups have a lot of employees of Aboriginal descent that follow the longhouse tradition. Not all Aboriginal groups across Canada would follow the same tradition. Although her definition may be correct for some Aboriginal groups, it is not in this application asked for here in the Education and Library Sciences demands.

An Aboriginal spirit friend, or longhouse friend, is someone within the longhouse whom others turn to for guidance in times of personal turmoil. Over the life of the relationship, the spirit friend and the person who sought them out for guidance would become very close, as close as family members can get.

To imply that the bargaining team would ask such a demand as “10 days off with pay for the death of an imaginary friend” is insulting and ridiculous. It truly demonstrates the writer’s lack of research and inquiry into the meaning of the demand, and a lack of effort in seeking clarity before submitting and printing an inflammatory article such as was printed. It is a further demonstration of a complete lack of respect for and understanding of the cultural differences of the various cultural groups within Canada.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

But when they take this off the table the Union can say "but we've made concessions, your turn now".
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Quick! Play the card! We're being called out for our ridiculous demands and losing the argument to logic!

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

I don't see anything wrong with this. when I found out santa and the easter bunny were fictitious, I was in counseling for years.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rwede wrote:Quick! Play the card! We're being called out for our ridiculous demands and losing the argument to logic!

love it ,this made my morning
and that's the truth
BEST POST EVER
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

LOL, look a who played the card, LOL

It's almost time to start your " Santa" shopping".

Return to “Canada”