Westjet going to charge for first bag on flights?

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Westjet going to charge for first bag on flights?

Post by Dizzy1 »

tgm929 wrote:It's a nice theory, but with WJ at their highest load levels in history, where would you put all these new passengers? To grow they need more access to airports, more routes, more airplanes and more staff. All of which cost major amounts of money. Money that they can make on these baggage charges.

They still have enough capacity to take care of the extra passengers and as other airlines do, leading is always an option. To be honest, they should have at least waited half a year to a year to see if the increase in passengers from other carriers is worth it.
tgm929 wrote:I can't think of a successful entrepreneur that would turn down $100 million increase in revenues with minimal increase in expenses. Considering most "entrepreneurs" end up bankrupt, I'll stick with having realistic and accurate business plans that involve long term strategies instead of just worrying about how to make a buck next week.

Herb Kelleher, Richard Branson, dare I say Micahel O'Leary, Max Ward and even WS wouldn't be where they are today had they followed a more traditional business plan. If CP were still around, WS would very unlikely have strayed from their original business model as much as they have. With the AC/CP merger it put WS into a position that they've wanted to become Canada's number 2 carrier. Not that there is anything wrong with that, and in order to achieve that, they have had to evolve. However I think they've strayed a bit to far from their successful model and is going to put them into a position that can start putting passengers onto other carriers. The airline industry is ruthless and unforgiving, companies need to figure out ways to keep their load factors as high as possible.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Frequent flyers, seat upgrades or paying with the RBC WestJet CC will avoid the fee.

I got the CC. It was the easiest and the rewards aren't bad. Used to fly a lot, not so much now but I hate the charge.

It just seems excessive. Form zero to 25.00. Why not 5.00? or even 10.00?

Even your 2nd checked bag has always been "only" $20.00

I wouldn't be so choked if they'd even said "WestJet has now started charging $20.00 for your 1st checked bag. This is been the standard fee for additional checked baggage....blah blah blah".

I agree, from zero to $25.00 was pretty steep. Consider the fact that if a family of 4 needs to check baggage that another $200.00 round trip.

Yikes.

My WestJet account also show 27 flights from November 26, 2013 to date...so I'm not looking forward to this much.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I have no problem paying extra for a suitcase or pay for a sandwich - as long as the airfare is a fraction of what it costs to fly in this country. Take Ryanair in Europe, they've changed to a user fee air carrier - you only pay for what you want - even a cup of instant coffee costs you a couple of Euros - but you can get half a dozen or more flights for the price of one here. When we were there last year we flew from Stanstead to Barcelona to Paris to Milan to London for the same price it costs here to fly one way from Kelowna to Vancouver or Calgary.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

GenesisGT wrote:Charge the $25 but I hope they get serious about checking the size of carry on baggage. It has gotten ridiculous over the years the size of bags people carry on and I have never seen an airline make someone place the bag in that fancy chrome container that sits there collecting dust.

Not only is it a pain getting hit by people carrying these bags down the plane aisle, but more importantly it is a safety issue if one of those bags ever fell out of overhead bin.

I completely agree. Airlines all need to stop people from abusing the carry-on sizes/quantities. Nothing worse than getting to your seat, after most of the passengers are onboard and finding that there is no room in the overheads, anywhere near your seat. If everyone carried the maximum carry-on that they presently allow, there would not be enough room in the overheads; not nearly enough. Those roll-along smaller suitcases may fit ok in that fancy chrome container (barely) but if everyone had one, it would be (and often is) a nightmare. Charging for luggage may appear to help the finances but it creates a whole new issue that needs addressing - the carry ons. I doubt any airline will want to enforce it, UNTIL someone gets hit by flying luggage from an overhead bin and THEN the law suits will wake up the airlines.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Slightly off topic but they need to stop people who are seated in the back half from stowing their bags in the overheads above seats in the front. The person who is in 2A, if they happen to get on towards the end may end up stowing theirs in the back which can be a huge inconvenience when you have to basically wait for everyone to get off so you can get your bag.

I did see one flight attendant with WJ take a guys bag out of the overhead at the front and deliver it to him once everyone was seated. He was back in row 22 or something.

And yes, they need to better monitor the size of carry ons. People used to do it for convenience but now they are doing it to avoid the charge.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Slightly off topic but they need to stop people who are seated in the back half from stowing their bags in the overheads above seats in the front. The person who is in 2A, if they happen to get on towards the end may end up stowing theirs in the back which can be a huge inconvenience when you have to basically wait for everyone to get off so you can get your bag.

I did see one flight attendant with WJ take a guys bag out of the overhead at the front and deliver it to him once everyone was seated. He was back in row 22 or something.

And yes, they need to better monitor the size of carry ons. People used to do it for convenience but now they are doing it to avoid the charge.

No, you are right ON topic. This is the cause of the problem for lack of overhead space. Not that I blame the airlines for charging; not at all; I'm willing to pay the fee. I do have a problem, however with those who abuse the carry-on allowances. The airlines need to ensure that for each row of seats, there is adequate space above YOUR seat; not somewhere else on the plane. Those that abuse the system (if the airlines won't police it) are the problem.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Carry on luggage control will happen more in the future. "Sorry sir, that won't fit - you'll have to check it in so that'll be $25 please plus tax" ;)
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I experienced the most amazing thing travelling Alaska Airlines this spring. The staff made and announcement that "any guest who are NOT traveling with baggage needing to be stored in the overhead bins can now board". This was right after the Elite, families/babies, and those needing assistance.

What was even more astonishing was that they were only 5-6 of us on a plane of 200+ people that stepped up. Not only was it indicative of the huge # of those who travel with a sizeable carry-on, but also the fact that 180+ passengers were HONEST about what they were bringing on.

Now Alaska charges $25.00 per checked bag (we gladly paid as we were spending a week in Texas and attending a wedding, so lots of stuff). While I do see this as a sign of things to come. I hope that WestJet and Air Canada will follow suit in allowing those guests with no overhead carry-on items to board ahead. It's the least we can get for our $25.00!

Return to “Canada”