Westjet going to charge for first bag on flights?

westbankkid
Übergod

Westjet going to charge for first bag on flights?

Post by westbankkid »

Looks like westjet is going to be charging for the first bag on it's flights starting in october. http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/rewards ... -non-elite
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: westjet going to charge for first bag on flights?????

Post by Fancy »

Air Canada is expected to do the same.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

It's kind of universal now with airlines - lower the ticket price as much as possible but charge for baggage, water, and anything else.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 16th, 2014, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
ixler8
Board Meister

Re: Westjet going to charge for first bag on flights?

Post by ixler8 »

Captain Awesome wrote:It's kind of universal now with airlines - lower the ticket price as much as possible but charge for baggage, water, and anything else.

Not low fairs in Canada , say Seattle to NY on AA low $466 - $844 and say Vancouver to Montreal on AC low $863-1501 , I know it's not a perfect comparison , but with AC hug union overheads Westjet can charge what they want and make alot of money and AC continues to gush taxpayers money.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ixler8 wrote:
Not low fairs in Canada , say Seattle to NY on AA low $466 - $844 and say Vancouver to Montreal on AC low $863-1501 , I know it's not a perfect comparison , but with AC hug union overheads Westjet can charge what they want and make alot of money and AC continues to gush taxpayers money.

Check the price breakdown on comaprisons between US and Canadian airfares - the biggest contributer to the price difference are non-airline fees such as taxes and airport fees not the airlines themselves.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

One ay from La to NYC through Expedia Sep 27- 262.00

One way from Vancouver to Toronto through Expedia 239.00

Both all taxes and baggage in. WestJet and United.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic but hey!!! There it is.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:One ay from La to NYC through Expedia Sep 27- 262.00

One way from Vancouver to Toronto through Expedia 239.00

Both all taxes and baggage in. WestJet and United.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic but hey!!! There it is.

Taxes are still higher on the Canadian airfare.

A quick search on a nonstop return YVR-YYZ airfare has an airfare of $642.76 with Westjet being the cheapest. $137.76 of that are taxes and other government/airport fees. For the same dates the cheapest nonstop SEA-JFK flight with JetBlue is $426.00 with only $55.95 of that being taxes/fees.

Canada has has one of the highest airfare taxes and Government fees in the world (surprise) - it's not always the airlines at fault.

The one thing I'm still scratching my head on is that if it only affects 1 out of 5 passengers - what's the point? I mean the revenue loss would be minimal compared to the extra customers you'd could potentially gain by keeping the first bag for free
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
The one thing I'm still scratching my head on is that if it only affects 1 out of 5 passengers - what's the point? I mean the revenue loss would be minimal compared to the extra customers you'd could potentially gain by keeping the first bag for free

They had 1.9 million passengers in August. If they do the same approximate number each month that's over 100 Million dollars per year. Not exactly insignificant.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Charge the $25 but I hope they get serious about checking the size of carry on baggage. It has gotten ridiculous over the years the size of bags people carry on and I have never seen an airline make someone place the bag in that fancy chrome container that sits there collecting dust.

Not only is it a pain getting hit by people carrying these bags down the plane aisle, but more importantly it is a safety issue if one of those bags ever fell out of overhead bin.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

ixler8 wrote:AC continues to gush taxpayers money.

How so ? Air Canada was privatized in 1988.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

tgm929 wrote:
They had 1.9 million passengers in August. If they do the same approximate number each month that's over 100 Million dollars per year. Not exactly insignificant.

No it's not insignicant but if you waive the fee and AC starts charging - the chances people will be choosing WS has increased so you could easily end up doubling that extra $$$. You need to think like an entrepreneur and not an accountant ;)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It appears airlines are taking a page out of oil companies price changes, when 1 does it they all do it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Frequent flyers, seat upgrades or paying with the RBC WestJet CC will avoid the fee.

I got the CC. It was the easiest and the rewards aren't bad. Used to fly a lot, not so much now but I hate the charge.

It just seems excessive. Form zero to 25.00. Why not 5.00? or even 10.00?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Dizzy1 wrote:No it's not insignicant but if you waive the fee and AC starts charging - the chances people will be choosing WS has increased so you could easily end up doubling that extra $$$. You need to think like an entrepreneur and not an accountant ;)

It's a nice theory, but with WJ at their highest load levels in history, where would you put all these new passengers? To grow they need more access to airports, more routes, more airplanes and more staff. All of which cost major amounts of money. Money that they can make on these baggage charges.

I can't think of a successful entrepreneur that would turn down $100 million increase in revenues with minimal increase in expenses. Considering most "entrepreneurs" end up bankrupt, I'll stick with having realistic and accurate business plans that involve long term strategies instead of just worrying about how to make a buck next week.

Return to “Canada”