TFW Bull

matai
Banned

TFW Bull

Post by matai »

Temporary foreign worker applications drop 74% since new reforms

Applications for temporary foreign workers have dropped by three-quarters following the new rules introduced by the federal government in June, says Employment Minister Jason Kenney.

Maybe it's because everyone applied before June? I don't know about much farm work in the dead of winter lol. Wait until next year, it won't be down that much.

What we really need is to abolish this program and drop applications by 100%.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tempora ... um=twitter
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: TFW *bleep*

Post by kgcayenne »

Perhaps contributing factors to the drop are the fee ( increase from $275 to $1,000 ) and the fact that the companies are not permitted to drop existing personnel hours. This makes it hardly worthwhile to import slave labour.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I agree but seasonal work is mostly in the summer and I could bet employers apply for TFW early in the year, not last minute.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

matai wrote:I agree but seasonal work is mostly in the summer and I could bet employers apply for TFW early in the year, not last minute.

You are forgetting Ski resorts. i.e. Big White
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
matai
Banned

Re: TFW Bull

Post by matai »

Are you kidding me? Ski resorts are hiring tfws? Like if no kid would love to do the job. wow. i'm speechless.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

matai wrote:Are you kidding me? Ski resorts are hiring tfws? Like if no kid would love to do the job. wow. i'm speechless.

Generally it behooves a person to actually inform themselves regarding a topic, before making statements confirming their lack of knowledge.

Big White FYI has been using foreign workers for years, as the owner is Australian and owns similar business there, so with seasons being opposite it creates the perfect scenario for workers to spend part of the year here, and the other part over there.

The same proprietor also owns Silver Star.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I recall hearing the TFW discussion in relation to business such as Big White. The abuses by other employers have now made BW's model very costly. It was originally on CBC Radio One's Daybreak South show, and I sure hope they follow-up on Big White's progress in this regard.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Generally it behooves a person to actually inform themselves regarding a topic, before making statements confirming their lack of knowledge.

How many ski hills in Kelowna vs how many orchards or seasonal fast food places? Now, YOU do the math lol
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Big White FYI has been using foreign workers for years, as the owner is Australian and owns similar business there, so with seasons being opposite it creates the perfect scenario for workers to spend part of the year here, and the other part over there.

The same proprietor also owns Silver Star.
um you do know that if you part of the commonwealth, your not a tfw if you work in another commonwealth country right?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm not surprised Big White is bringing in TFW. They are a terrible company to work for. I worked in housekeeping for a season and I have never been treated worse by an employer. There were foreigners working there at the time but they were mostly Australian and doing it for the ski pass.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

matai wrote:How many ski hills in Kelowna vs how many orchards or seasonal fast food places? Now, YOU do the math lol

Once you start add up major Ski resorts across Canada those numbers can add up.
i.e the largest in BC being Whistler/Blackcomb
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

matai wrote:Are you kidding me? Ski resorts are hiring tfws? Like if no kid would love to do the job. wow. i'm speechless.

If kids were all over them asking to work there perhaps they wouldn't need TFW's.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

lakevixen wrote: um you do know that if you part of the commonwealth, your not a tfw if you work in another commonwealth country right?

Ummmm I'm not really too motivated to argue semantics with you!

They're not Canadians so to most of us that translates into "foreign" workers, and they still have to meet specific criteria to be eligible FYI, as I know a picker who wishes to go down under for the winter and is encountering obstacles in doing so.

Part of the commonwealth or not still doesn't make an Australian a Canadian, or a Canadian an Australian!

I'm not even convinced this isn't something you've dreamed up again with that overly active imagination.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that draws so many young Australian travellers to Canada every year. Canada is undeniably a country of great beauty, cultural diversity and endless adventure; however I think it’s the similarities between the two countries that is the underlying appeal. For an Aussie, Canada is an easy country to live in. The language is the same, the lifestyles are very similar, both counties share incredible natural heritage and above all both Aussie’s and Canadians share the same laidback, easy-going personalities. These things considered Canada is truly the perfect place for Australian’s to venture to for an extended holiday of work and travel, and thankfully for us there is a reciprocal working holiday agreement between the two countries allowing this to happen.
The Government of Canada has established a Working Holiday Program (WHP) for Australian passport holders under the age of thirty to enable extended holiday and work time for up to 24 months. Until recently the WHP was offered as a once in a lifetime opportunity, meaning that previous participants in the WHP were not allowed to reapply for the program once their initial visa had expired. As of January 2008 participants can now apply as many times as they want, provided they still meet the eligibility criteria.
So who is allowed to participate in the WHP? To be eligible you must:
- Hold an Australian passport that is valid for the entire length of your stay in Canada.
- Be between 18-30 years of age.
- Be criminally and medically admissible.

http://www.bakpakguide.com/canada/tripi ... nada.shtml

okay :)
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/au ... index.aspx
http://www.canaussie.com/articles/work- ... ork-permit

Of course 1 thing I'm sure Aussie's notice right off is minimum wage here is much lower.

Return to “Canada”