How to stop the power company from installing a smart meter

Glacier
The Pilgrim

How to stop the power company from installing a smart meter

Post by Glacier »

When we bought our house this year there was a rather large sign above the meter informing BC Hydro that they were not to install a smart meter. Interestingly, BC Hydro had installed a smart meter anyway.

Now it is Kwebeck's turn, and one guy there is taking this one step further...

Quebec blacksmith Olivier Burnham has taken Hydro-Québec’s switch to smart meters into his own hands — he's making and selling metal boxes that can be installed over the conventional meters to stop them from being replaced.

The province’s electric utility hopes to install 3.8 million smart meters by 2018, but the meters’ use of radio frequency signals to remotely transmit readings to Hydro-Québec is causing health concerns for some Quebecers.

Burnham said his metal boxes, which feature a small window to allow meter reading, are easy to install but hard to remove.

"Basically you drill six holes, you put pop rivets in and that’s it. And then you put a notice up asking Hydro not to touch it, and if they do alter the padlock you can actually sue them for damage of property," Burnham said.

Hydro-Québec’s response? Don’t touch our meters.

The utility warns that tampering with its meters is illegal and can be dangerous.

At least 60 people in the Eastern Townships have already bought Burnham’s boxes, which he said do not technically tamper with Hydro-Québec’s meters.

"The seal of Hydro-Québec is still intact and so we haven’t tampered with the meter at all. It’s just covering the meter so they cannot change it," he said.

The utility says that a smart meter emits a tiny fraction of the radio frequency emissions produced by a common household microwave.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: How to stop the power company from installing a smart me

Post by Captain Awesome »

Whatever happened to the couple in Peachland/Summerland that had their power shut off for refusing to install a smart meter?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

In the event that one of the conductors is inside the meter box is right against the wall of it and the drill bit hits it and shorts out and possibly injuries the *bleep* that decides to drill into a live elec box. Who gets sued then? Im not surprised this story is from quebec.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

The Hydro companies actually have the right to install whichever meter they, as a corporation, deem best for monitoring useage.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

FreeRights wrote:The Hydro companies actually have the right to install whichever meter they, as a corporation, deem best for monitoring useage.

You are 100% correct.
The opposition to having correct and accurate metering by some of the general public is amusing to say the least.
Everyone has to pay for what they use themselves.

This subject has been beat to death many times on this forum. Time to give it a rest.

But - I am also curious to know what the final outcome was with the people in Peachland/Summerland earlier this year or was it last fall??
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Thats lame . 1 minute and those rivets are drilled out .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

xjeepguy wrote:Thats lame . 1 minute and those rivets are drilled out .

Exactly. What an idiot
Analtude

Post by Analtude »

Whatever happened to the couple in Peachland/Summerland that had their power shut off for refusing to install a smart meter?

I'm curious too. Anyone?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Months after taking out her BC Hydro smart meter, Deborah Stutters still doesn't have electricity.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... l?mode=jqm
Can't find out anything else - maybe still running a generator?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Fancy wrote:http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_cd7c355b-24af-561a-85d0-52177f11ce5c.html?mode=jqm
Can't find out anything else - maybe still running a generator?

'up to 50,000 hertz of energy can be emitted daily'
Goes to show what these People don't know. Not a dam thing about this technology. LOL

Hertz is a frequency not a unit of power transmitted.

I guess if you divide 50,000 by the number of seconds in a day (86,400) then you would have 0.578 herts/second. Even slower than any sound wave.

Return to “Canada”