Alzheimer's and Dementia

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Alzheimer's and Dementia

Post by I Think »

It is obvious that there is an epidemic of alzheimers / dementia, beginning to rear its ugly head as baby boomers reach their 60's and 70's.
My question is what are Federal, Provincial and local governments doing about preparing for it?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Type_O
Board Meister

Re: Alzheimers and Dementia.

Post by Type_O »

Interior Health has been prvoding more readily available community services/seniors mental health, for in-home supervision and much needed respite for family (s)- either through day programs, once, twice or three times a week, or weekly - at one of the care facilities in and around town.
Private care company's are now picking up momentum - providing in-home care, as well as private facility care. These are expensive and family's, depending on income, need to be "wait listed" for government funded facility beds - which could take several months or a year.
The help, it seems, is just not "fast enough".
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Some interesting new studies into dementia have revealed some startling misconceptions we had about the disease.

For example, plaque on the brain has been blamed as the culprit for dementia but as it turns out most of us have plaque on the brain when we die but only some get dementia. What they found is that mini strokes may be the cause and those with moderate to high blood pressure had less of a likelyhood to show the signs of dementia associated with these mini strokes. May also change the way we treat blood pressure.

60 minutes did an interesting show on these new findings, here's the link.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfmRQbrqKE
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

The nature of things had an interesting therory that Alzheimers is the third diabetes.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episod ... alzheimers
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here is something the governments don't want you to know... a significant percentage of Alzheimer cases past, present, and future are likely caused by consuming meat and dairy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15694685

A recent study links up to 13% of all "Alzheimer's" victims as really having Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Bovine tuberculosis, which includes Mycobacterium bovis and M. avium-intracellulare or paratuberculosis, is and has always been the most prevalent threat to the cattle industry, and the USDA reports that between 20% and 40% of US dairy herds are infected with paratuberculosis alone. The health risk for milk tainted with M. bovis has been known for decades and there was a time not so long ago when "tuberculin-tested" was printed on every milk container. Schliesser stated that meat from tuberculous animals may also constitute a significant risk of infection. At the turn of the 20th century 25% of the many US deaths from TB in adults were caused by M. bovis. Dairy products aside, when past and present meat consumption are factored in, there is three times the risk of developing Alzheimer's in meat eaters as opposed to vegetarians.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

People gotta stop living so long. Human bodies are not used to living much past 60.

Damn you, science.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Captain Awesome wrote:People gotta stop living so long. Human bodies are not used to living much past 60.

Damn you, science.

That's when the body starts deteriorating and the mind follows a few years later.

For some the mind gives up after their first post.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Poindexter wrote:For example, plaque on the brain has been blamed as the culprit for dementia but as it turns out most of us have plaque on the brain when we die but only some get dementia. What they found is that mini strokes may be the cause and those with moderate to high blood pressure had less of a likelyhood to show the signs of dementia associated with these mini strokes. May also change the way we treat blood pressure.

60 minutes did an interesting show on these new findings, here's the link.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfmRQbrqKE

Unfortunately, there is no link to "plaque on the brain" for Alzheimer's dementia, ALS or MS - who have spent BILLIONS OF DONATED DOLLARS combined. I'm sure EVERY ONE WILL KNOW WHEN THE CURE IS ANNOUNCED, including your trusted favourite, - family doctor.
The Nature of "THINGS" should not considered as fact, it's a CBC's producer's way of "keeping things interesting", so they can keep their exorbitant salaried, position, an indexed pension until the've slogged through - at least for 12.5 years (union warranted).

It will be wonderful when there is a cure.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

This isn't a discussion on the CBC and how they pay their staff.

It may or may not be the truth but it is an interesting side that should have some consideration.

My grandma was a sugar junkie and also has early onset alzheimers. Is there a connection? Maybe. Should it be explored? I think yes.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Aging is when you go into the garage and forget why you went there.

Alzheimer's is when you forget where the garage is.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

low cholesteral diets and statin drugs are the cause alzheimers, the weight of your brain is only a few percent of your body weight, but it contains about 25 percent of all of the cholesterol in your body. stay off the sugar and eat a high fat diet.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

Do you have any links to research that supports that?
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Glacier wrote:Here is something the governments don't want you to know... a significant percentage of Alzheimer cases past, present, and future are likely caused by consuming meat and dairy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15694685

If this is true which I highly doubt, there isn't much point in changing your diet to avoid Alzheimer's or Dementia. My MIL passed away a few years ago after suffering the last few years of her life with full on Alzheimer's and what the doctors described as one of the worst cases of osteoporosis they'd ever seen, the last 40 years of her life she was a strict vegan, 40 years of zero dairy or meat didn't do her bones any favours....
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

WeatherWoman wrote:Do you have any links to research that supports that?

dont need research, its just common sense, your brain is made up of cholesteral, so feed it. but if u really to read more then google the first line of my post.

Return to “Social Concerns”