Alzheimer's and Dementia

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Alzheimers and Dementia.

Post by WeatherWoman »

All I find is the opposite of your claim.

Several lines of evidence support the theory that an elevated blood cholesterol level is related to the development of Alzheimer's disease. In experimental models, animals fed high-fat and high-cholesterol diets exhibited impaired learning and memory performance compared with animals on control diets and also demonstrated more A-beta deposition in the brain, greater loss of neurons, and other Alzheimer's disease-related neuropathology.[15,16] One study of 444 Finnish men found that an elevated blood cholesterol level (> 6.5 mmol/L) in midlife was associated with 3 times the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in late life.[17]

I agree that we need fats for optimal brain function but it isn't just any fats that are good for the brain.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

dg3 wrote:low cholesteral diets and statin drugs are the cause alzheimers, the weight of your brain is only a few percent of your body weight, but it contains about 25 percent of all of the cholesterol in your body. stay off the sugar and eat a high fat diet.

I found more information but's not as cut and dry as your claim. There is a lot more to this than "eating a high fat diet"

The study is more about the effects of a high carbohydrate diet has on the brain and the link to Alzheimers and Parkinson disease. Imparticular the HFCS and how it depletes the brain of fats & cholesterol.

The study also goes on to discuss the impact of polyunsaturated fats on the brain and Alzheimers.

Maybe the lesson is to focus on eating a real food diet.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Nibs wrote:It is obvious that there is an epidemic of alzheimers / dementia, beginning to rear its ugly head as baby boomers reach their 60's and 70's.
My question is what are Federal, Provincial and local governments doing about preparing for it?

Probably investing in pharmaceutical industry.

CHOLESTEROL DRUGS CAN CAUSE MEMORY LOSS
Why Statins are Bad for the Brain
After muscle pain and weakness, cognitive problems are the second-most common side effect of Lipitor, Zocor, Pravachol, Mevacor, and other cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. Hundreds of cases of statin-induced memory loss and TGA have been reported to MedWatch, the FDA’s system for filing adverse drug events. And these are just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/ ... atins.html
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My partner's Grandma is going through dementia right now. It really is a horrific disease. It is incredibly hard on the family. We were finally able to get her in a home, it was a difficult process. We are resting easier knowing she is safe now.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Alzheimer's and Dementia

Post by I Think »

So, since I know someone in this position;
A couple; she has alzheimers (76% of alzheimers patients are women) no children or other relatives.
He soon will not be able to care for her. He is unable to go through the rigors of bureaurocracy to place her in a home, due to his age and emotions about her.
Does he just drop her off at an ER with no ID?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

jennylives wrote:My partner's Grandma is going through dementia right now. It really is a horrific disease. It is incredibly hard on the family. We were finally able to get her in a home, it was a difficult process. We are resting easier knowing she is safe now.

I know something of the difficult process but would you be able to walk people here through some of it? I just want people to know just how complicated it can be.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

There is no definitive evidence yet about what can prevent
Alzheimer’s or age-related cognitive decline.

^ what this means:

mercury and formaldehyde in vaccines is safe.
pesticides on food is safe (organophosphates have the habit of storing themselves in a fatty part of the brain)
chemical additives that increase corporations profit (msg, aspartame - brain damage) is safe
food that is depleted of nutrition (white flour - 80% of nutrition is removed) is safe
pharmaceutical drugs are safe (side effects)

The purpose of the government is to ensure a safe environment for business. corporations and their lawyers make it difficult to prove what causes alzheimers disease. So.....
There is no definitive evidence yet about what can prevent
Alzheimer’s or age-related cognitive decline.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

A few post back Nibs brought up an issue that maybe needs to be addressed in the Kelowna area, is there an Advocate or service in the area that could help Elderly couples (with no family members to help).

If so please post links to them, thank-you.

GordonH

Neither of my parents had to go threw either of these devastating diseases, which I'm very grateful for.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GordonH wrote:Neither of my parents had to go threw either of these devastating diseases, which I'm very grateful for.

It is fortunate and I desperately hope my parents will be spared too. When I was about 10 the great aunt who raised my mom had dementia take over due to the stress of teens that repeatedly broke into her home while she was there. One of the boys would sit on her while others looted. It still sickens me to think anyone could do that. She was completely healthy and independent prior to these traumatic events but her decline into dementia was rapid. Even at 10, me becoming a stranger to her had a huge impact on my outlook on life. I was raised catholic and it caused me to denounce all religion as false after seeing her soul disappear along with her memory. It made me realize we are just fragile organisms with everything that means anything stored in the brain. When the brain dies it's the end, no spirit floating around fully dressed with memories of loved ones intact. I figured if all that was gone even while she was breathing there was zero chance that memories would survive after death. To say the disease impacts lives dramatically is an understatement, it sure did a number on me and hope to never endure it again.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Dad ate very little sugar and had this horrible disease.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Poindexter wrote: When I was about 10 the great aunt who raised my mom had dementia take over due to the stress of teens that repeatedly broke into her home while she was there.

I doubt that had anything to do with her development of dementia and more that they took advantage of her having it.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.alzinfo.org/articles/high-bl ... ementia-2/

It is unclear whether treating high blood sugar would prevent the onset of dementia; the study did not look at that. But regular exercise, like walking, swimming and ballroom dancing, is known to help keep blood sugar in a healthy range, keep weight down and stave off diabetes. Regular exercise is also tied to a lower Alzheimer’s risk.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Nibs wrote:So, since I know someone in this position;
A couple; she has alzheimers (76% of alzheimers patients are women) no children or other relatives.
He soon will not be able to care for her. He is unable to go through the rigors of bureaurocracy to place her in a home, due to his age and emotions about her.
Does he just drop her off at an ER with no ID?

I would suggest he speak with the family doctor.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

And just think about the millions of Canadians - baby boomers - who are getting
older and do NOT have allz-heimers disease but they DO have half-heimers disease.
they're starting to lose their marbles slightly, but it's not too noticeable.

THINK ABOUT THAT!

Still want to save a few bucks buying the cheapest most nutritionally inferior food you can buy?

white flour?
white sugar?
etc

Return to “Social Concerns”