Hey, it's a start

zzontar
Guru

Re: Hey, it's a start

Post by zzontar »

Someone needs to brush up on their math:
First and second time offences – The fine increased to $233.95. This marks an increase of $47.50 from the previous amount of $176.45.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

A cop on patrol regarding driving and using his computer can;

1. Run the plate and keep track of the vehicle by driving.

2. Pull over and stop. Run the plate. Await and view response.
Hope like hell he/she can relocate the stolen/suspect vehicle and stop it later.

A cop using their radio in proceeding to a complaint where time may be a factor (i.e. violent confrontation) can;

1. Use hands free (if equipped) and keep the conversation short.

2. Pull over and use the radio each time updated information is being sent and hop that the delay is not the reason for the injury or death.

Only two examples but I think they identify that either alternative has inherent risks and the cop is in a no win situation unless two officer cars are used. That would double the cost of policing and cut the number of complaints they could attend in half.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:A cop on patrol regarding driving and using his computer can;

1. Run the plate and keep track of the vehicle by driving.

2. Pull over and stop. Run the plate. Await and view response.
Hope like hell he/she can relocate the stolen/suspect vehicle and stop it later.
P
A cop using their radio in proceeding to a complaint where time may be a factor (i.e. violent confrontation) can;

1. Use hands free (if equipped) and keep the conversation short.

2. Pull over and use the radio each time updated information is being sent and hop that the delay is not the reason for the injury or death.

Only two examples but I think they identify that either alternative has inherent risks and the cop is in a no win situation unless two officer cars are used. That would double the cost of policing and cut the number of complaints they could attend in half.

Yes Donald G, I totally understand why the cops do what they do while going about their duties, and I fully appreciate what they do, and for the most part think the cops do a very good job considering how difficult their job can be at times...I'm just pointing out that when cops are using their computers while driveing it's every bit as dangerous as texting while driving. I agree that having two members per car isn't cost effective, but the technology is there to access the onboard computer via voice command, and recieve the requested info verbally. They could then do their duties without taking their eyes off the damn road..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I appreciate your point that although police can train for distracted driving and limit it to the degree possible they, being normal human beings, also have a brain with a single processor.

Given present technology, affordable voice command computers are seriously problematic when it involves multiple cars and multiple operators. They would not be near reliable enough for normal police work where precise accuracy is often a requirement of any transmission.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I'm willing to cut the police some slack here. They are not your average driver and also have the right to speed when required. So not sure the same rules necessarily have to apply to them to make our roads safer.

But for regular folk I'd like to see a bit of a public shaming element to the punishment for texting and driving. Possibly a magnetic letter T, similar to L for learners, that they're required to drive around with for 6 months after being caught. IMO that would be a better deterrent than fines alone.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I didn't say that cops don't punch license plate numbers into their computers while driving. I said that the cop WHO SAID that should give his/her head a shake.
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

I am just sick of all the laws that seem to be written that have all the exemptions, if a law does not cover everyone then it is a fraud. Emergency vehicles have radios they do not need to be typing while driving, if I can not answer my cell Phone while I am driving why should they.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

johnp3 wrote:I am just sick of all the laws that seem to be written that have all the exemptions, if a law does not cover everyone then it is a fraud. Emergency vehicles have radios they do not need to be typing while driving, if I can not answer my cell Phone while I am driving why should they.

I agree, why should people who have special training be allowed to do such things, I am going to the airport and get myself into the left hand seat of an airplane, why do they have laws that say I can't fly a plane without special training, it's a travesty.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To johnp3 16 ...

I agree if they are going to let one person drive, why not let everyone drive?

And if they are going to operate on one patient, they should operate on the whole damn works.

Everyone should be able to pack guns and make arrests.

Lets take turn being criminal court judges.

Its only fair, isn't it? Like GenesisGT says, its a real travesty.
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

We already have ICBC setting drinking and driving penalties, and if you have a health problem and can not blow enough then you are charged even with a doctors note.
The police are not your friend, they are exempt from common decency, they get away with trampling all over your rights and freedoms, look at what happened in Alberta during the flood they searched peoples houses and stole their guns.
Anyone hear of any one going to jail for that, I realize Conservatives are all cowards as Harpo hiding in the closet proved, but do not expect an officer to help you. In this area we get people being told that a 911 call was made from their address, a 911 call comes up on you bill, even when it is proven they are a lieing pile of it, nothing happens.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To kohnp3 ...

Not sure what part of what country you are describing but it sure makes me glad to live in a country like Canada where such things seldom ever happen.

The only thing that causes us concern here in Canada is people raving on about having to live in a world that does not exist here in Canada. Between you and me I think it is strictly a mental thing but here in Canada we have the right to act mental, talk mental and stay forever mental if we so desire.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Donald G wrote:I appreciate your point that although police can train for distracted driving and limit it to the degree possible they, being normal human beings, also have a brain with a single processor.

Given present technology, affordable voice command computers are seriously problematic when it involves multiple cars and multiple operators. They would not be near reliable enough for normal police work where precise accuracy is often a requirement of any transmission.

Gotta call BS Donald. Virtually every study I have read regarding distracted driving and why the incidence of accidents is so high say that the reason is that the brain cannot split its attention between driving and texting or whatever. It's a physiological trait.

Cops are only human.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To mexicalidreamer ...

Not sure where the BS comes in since you and I are saying the exact same thing using different words.

Return to “Canada”