Guru

Hey, it's a start

Post by mexi cali »

Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Hey, it's a start

Post by GordonH »

It still falls short, it is very small start.

● Increase fines
● add points
● take away the phone (not to be returned)

The harder ones bank account gets hit the smarter people tend to become, most of the time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Agreed but it is still better than what we are doing.

My suggestion?

First fine is 1k. Comes with a warning that if there is a second time, car is impounded for thirty days.

If there dare be a third, licences is revoked 12 months.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

They say it has become more serious than drunk driving, doesn't that mean the penalties should be more serious.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

There are far more people texting and driving that dunks on the road at any given time.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Exactly. Makes you wonder when people say the drunk driving laws are just a tax grab. If that was all the government was interested in, they could make a lot more money off of cell phone use, for a lot less effort. As far as I'm concerned raise the fines through the roof and use it as a tax grab. We need the money and if people are stupid enough to do it they deserve what they get. Better yet give the money back to the municipalities etc.to hire more police to catch more idiots. Why should we finance our police when those who break the laws could do it for us.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

First offense = $1K fine is just about right. It will take the possibility of a huge fine like this to influence the idiots that we encounter every day on our streets and highways, who are texting and talking on cellphones while driving. It is occurring at an alarming rate, and men, women, young and old are seen to be doing this everyday. The current fines are a joke and not commensurate with the tragic consequences that result from distracted driving. How can our governments be so stupid as not to have gotten on this problem, in a significant way much sooner?
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

There are countries in the world that have had very stiff fines for a few years now. One has to wonder why it takes so long for us to legislate something that will get the offenders' attention. Money pretty much dominates our present society, so that should be the the target through fines and insurance costs. It should be a no-brainer but who knows, maybe it's all about voter numbers.
I birn quil I se
johnp3
Fledgling

Post by johnp3 »

I agree EVERYONE should be banned from using any device while driving, That would be everyone, that means the police cars would have to be modified so that when the vehicle is in motion all electronic are shut down.
If you pass a law and then give some an exemption the law is a fraud.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

A young driver OMG'ing their friends scares me quite a bit more than police communication.
I birn quil I se
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

There is no sense in the argument that "if the police can do it, why can't I?" The police need to be able to communicate while they are driving.. there is no option but to allow this. Think about it a bit and that reality cannot be avoided. They should not be doing anything that is not urgently required while they are driving... there should be no doubt about that, but to legislate restrictions on emergency personnel, such as has been suggested makes no sense. It is not police, fire or ambulance people communicating from their vehicles that is the lethal problem on our highways and streets. It is the mindless communications occurring by the public that is the problem. Imagine... texting while driving!!! That is so stupid and unnecessary.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Treblehook wrote: It is the mindless communications occurring by the public that is the problem. Imagine... texting while driving!!! That is so stupid and unnecessary.

Yes that certainly is stupid and unsafe, but when the police are driving, using their radios or cell phones, and typing on their onboard computer all at the same time that is also very unsafe. I've had cops tell me they do this. Some even claim to be able to drink a coffee and eat a donut while driving and using all the above mentioned electronics, not sure if they were joking or not. Whatever, there's no way that can be safe, even though it's part of the job the potential is there to put others at risk.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It is good to know that Health Canada is prepared to deal with diseases like Ebola should the worlds newest disease manage to make its way to Canada.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#125105
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Hurtlander wrote:[quote
Yes that certainly is stupid and unsafe, but when the police are driving, using their radios or cell phones, and typing on their onboard computer all at the same time that is also very unsafe. I've had cops tell me they do this. Some even claim to be able to drink a coffee and eat a donut while driving and using all the above mentioned electronics, not sure if they were joking or not. Whatever, there's no way that can be safe, even though it's part of the job the potential is there to put others at risk.

The cop that made those claims ought to be giving his/her head a great big shake.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Treblehook wrote:
The cop that made those claims ought to be giving his/her head a great big shake.

So you're trying to tell us that cops don't actually punch things like license plate numbers or people's names into their onboard computers while driving....I really do hope you're correct, but somehow,I don't think so.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “Canada”