Man shot by RCMP in southern Alberta

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Man shot by RCMP in southern Alberta

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

the video of this should be interesting. so little information so far, such strange details so far.

Investigators have seized a gun they believe was pointed at an officer who shot and wounded a man at an RCMP detachment in southern Alberta.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team says the weapon was a black Smith and Wesson 122-calibre BB gun.

ASIRT says a man walked into the detachment in Redcliff on Monday and pointed what appeared to be a firearm.

He was taken to hospital after he was shot and remains there in critical but stable condition.

The RCMP have charged 33-year-old Bernard Norman of Redcliff with possession of a weapon dangerous to the public and assault on a peace officer.

A court appearance has yet to be determined.

http://www.660news.com/2014/10/07/weapo ... as-bb-gun/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: man shot by RCMP in southern Alberta

Post by Fancy »

There's video?
And what are the "strange" details?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Man shot by RCMP in southern Alberta

still no video release, and i notice the news reports are contradictory.

It was a black Smith and Wesson 177 calibre BB gun that Norman produced and pointed at police when approached at the detachment office.

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... dentified/

compared to...

Lynn Crawford of the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, or ASIRT, says the man approached police, produced and pointed what appeared to be a firearm at the officer.

http://beaconnews.ca/calgary/2014/10/of ... e-officer/

mr. norman was unable to attend his bail hearing today.

A bail hearing has been adjourned for a Redcliff man who was shot Monday by Mounties and who now stands accused of possession of a dangerous weapon and assaulting a peace officer after allegedly pointing a replica BB gun at a RCMP constable.

Bernard Owen Norman, 33, did not appear Thursday at Medicine Hat Provincial Court and the matter was adjourned until Tuesday as he was, “not in a position — medically speaking — to run a bail hearing,” Crown Brandy Shaw told the court.

Norman was shot by an RCMP member during the early morning hours Monday outside the Redcliff detachment and was last reported to be in critical but stable condition.

Police allege a replica black Smith & Wesson .177 BB gun was produced during the incident.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team is currently investigating police actions during the incident.

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... liff-rcmp/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:still no video release, and i notice the news reports are contradictory.

Norman pointed a gun at an officer - what is contradictory?
http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2014/ ... -update-1/
Last edited by Fancy on Oct 10th, 2014, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

one account has norman approaching police, the other has police approaching norman.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Police described it as "an encounter". Regardless, a weapon was pointed at an officer at the detachment. There's discrepancies in media reports periodically but these reports don't take away from the offence.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

alleged offence :)
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

NORMAN was charged with Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public and Assault on a Peace Officer.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

In what way did the man assault a peace officer?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

pointing a gun at someone is good enough for assault.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 11th, 2014, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comments removed.
T.Tsarnaev
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:pointing a gun at someone is good enough for assault.

*removed*

There is literally no specific information available on this incident to date, yet you are so comfortable your condemnation of RCMP members generally, as you digress from the sublime to the ridiculous in your remarks above.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

i fail to see the 'ridiculous', please expand.
T.Tsarnaev
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i fail to see the 'ridiculous', please expand.

I don't know why I bother, but:

one should brush clothes against a member of the rcmp as one passes on the sidewalk, that could lead to a violent action and being attacked by the rcmp member 'defending' themselves
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

T.Tsarnaev
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:

You do realize that the VPD and the RCMP are two different entities, don't you?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Canada”